Covering garage floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
So basically what method of covering the garage floor do you guys use. I laid cardboard boxes down which don't seem to last a long time!

At my previous house we replaced a lot of carpet with laminate flooring, and I put the carpet (and underlay) down in the garage. Still looked good 15 years later when we sold the house, and must have helped insulate it.

At my previous house we replaced a lot of carpet with laminate flooring, and I put the carpet (and underlay) down in the garage. Still looked good 15 years later when we sold the house, and must have helped insulate it.
You forgot to mention that the car was parked on the drive.😀

Following with interest. I had an old carpet for years but it's not practical if you do any DIY work. Once you get some oil or fluid spilt onto it, it just soaks through. I took it out last year and repainted the floor. Great to start off with but the paint does not last (wasn't cheap paint either). I am now contemplating whether to go all out with some epoxy paint or some heavy duty/industrial rubber tiles. Any other options/suggestions are welcome!

@OP, if you are only going to use it as storage then carpet is fine

I added a 'sacrificial' strip of carpet under my SL on top of the main one ... plan was to chuck that (& replace if necessary) if the car leaked/dripped anything onto it. In the event it never did. But obviously carpet wouldn't be a good option if you were doing any work that involved fluids going onto the floor. I did paint a fair bit of stuff in there (it was a double garage), and put newspaper down for that just in case.

Rubber sheeting, as used on rooftop, a bit expensive but it will last if stuck down. One big sheet lapped up the wall 3inch.

Cough. What do you want to achieve? What are your "requirements?"

My garage has a concrete floor for the half which is used for The Motor, but has carpet in the walking area of other half workshop / utility / storage / bikes & rarely used exercise bike side.

It's not much more than a large, used rug that gets replaced every 3 or 4 years, that's there to take the chill of the floor and to be easier on the feet.

If you need a "luxury" space for one's Garage Queen, then there are plenty of nice products out there.

Most people prefer something a bit muckier, so a well-finished painted concrete floor is just the job. "Washes down a treat."

And if it's Dad's Den, then whatever you fancy....

Last edited:
So basically what method of covering the garage floor do you guys use. I laid cardboard boxes down which don't seem to last a long time!
Now we have Amazon deliveries, you can have an inexhaustible supply of cardboard boxes. However if you don't like seeing the Amazon logo, you can try these
Just noticed your a canny Scot, so maybe stick to Amazon's finest:)

Interlocking plastic tiles with a couple of old rugs for kneeling on whilst tinkering with the bikes ,tiles went down a treat and seem pretty robust :

K

I used Duramat. Easy to lay and durable. One advantage that I hadn’t thought of is that there is an air gap between the tile and the concrete floor so working on the floor is never cold.
Downside is it looks good so I keep cleaning it 😀😀👍🏻👍🏻

B156176A-230D-4D0F-82BE-9E94C5854DA7.jpeg603A71B7-8CA7-4FCA-8113-05DA4F01E89F.jpeg

I used to service fire alarms for a company that had a warehouse full of nice click together flooring, many colours, end panels etc. Can’t remember the flooring name but
“Astroflame” in Fareham, PO15 postcode should get you an email for info and Paul was the owner.. they used to ship it too..

I’ve got old carpet too. But it doesn’t last forever and if you use the car (s) a lot the carpet will move. I use an old sofa cushion for kneeling on..

I want I get some of the plastic/ rubber tiles.

Surely any spilt liquid would wick into the gaps between any of the interlocking tile type floorings?
Yes, I think it would, and if my garage were more of a car/motorcycle workshop I would have had second thoughts.
But I don’t do too much oily stuff anymore and I’m extra careful when draining fluids - and so far no spills 👍🏻👍🏻

I use carpet tiles, sourced locally vie eBay, they have been down 5 years and are still fine. I do use a sheet of ply under jacks and axle stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom