Covering garage floor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What about stacking so much in the garage you can’t see the floor
View attachment 123122
Ahh ha, the 3 bucket wash and drying mitt and lots of squirt bottles, nice to see you are ready for the next car clean. These spy classes i'm taking are working out well :thumb:

So basically what method of covering the garage floor do you guys use. I laid cardboard boxes down which don't seem to last a long time!
Some have already mentioned rubber mats but I found that the best value for money are stable mats, 8' x 4' and 12 -17mm thick. Easy to fit and clean, warm to walk on and last forever. Ask your local agricultural merchant to quote

Some have already mentioned rubber mats but I found that the best value for money are stable mats, 8' x 4' and 12 -17mm thick. Easy to fit and clean, warm to walk on and last forever. Ask your local agricultural merchant to quote
Do you have any photos in situ?

I use the flooring rolls from Costco

My new house is just being completed and I have this decision to make for myself, In my current garage I have rubber interlocking tiles and they have been ideal while messing with classic cars etc but I wont be doing that any longer so have decided to go down the route of Amtico/Karndene vinyl flooring, its easily cleaned and should last my lifetime. Its not cheap so just looking to pick up some discontinued stuff a bit cheaper.

That’s good to know. They are a lot cheaper than other sources. 👍
The Halfords mats are well priced per Sq. M but they do not quote the thickness on that web page. If they are too thin and light they might tend to move and "unlock" under a big fat tyre being steered over them. My stable mats were around £33 per 8' x 4' sheet and are 17mm thick. They are heavy, laid wall to wall and cannot move.

My missus like to replace carpets (too often) in the house so both my garages have fitted carpets.
I’ve got drip trays ( garden grow bag trays ) to pick up on any fluids and run a dehumidifier occasionally to keep any damp out.
I’ve also got a discarded Dyson (still in perfect nick) to keep things tidy
All the other stuff mowers etc are now in my recently built garden shed

The Halfords mats are well priced per Sq. M but they do not quote the thickness on that web page. If they are too thin and light they might tend to move and "unlock" under a big fat tyre being steered over them. My stable mats were around £33 per 8' x 4' sheet and are 17mm thick. They are heavy, laid wall to wall and cannot move.
I did look at the stable mats and that’s not a bad price. I’ve ordered the Halfords mats, at £200 I thought it worth a punt. If they’re shite they’ll go back. But the reviews are very good…

Just read some reviews again. The Halfords ones are approx 12mm thick. One guy mentioned staggered fitment is better but I’ll see how it goes. Lots of garage users are very please with them.

Last edited:
Tried to order Halfords mats as they seemed a good price & reviews were good, failed. In their menu the quantity only goes up to nine. Ok will just go in few times & order nine at a time, no problem. Clicked home delivery. Basket showed nine, so went to checkout & pay. New screen, "your basket is empty, lets go shopping ". Tried again, exactly the same. Might be a computer glitch, so closed down my computer & started again. Nine in basket, pay, "your basket is empty":mad::wallbash: don't they want to sell the #@*# things.

Tried to order Halfords mats as they seemed a good price & reviews were good, failed. In their menu the quantity only goes up to nine. Ok will just go in few times & order nine at a time, no problem. Clicked home delivery. Basket showed nine, so went to checkout & pay. New screen, "your basket is empty, lets go shopping ". Tried again, exactly the same. Might be a computer glitch, so closed down my computer & started again. Nine in basket, pay, "your basket is empty":mad::wallbash: don't they want to sell the #@*# things.
I had the same issue and had to order 9 at a time. I also missed the 10% discount first time round. Mine are due to arrive today…

I had the same issue and had to order 9 at a time. I also missed the 10% discount first time round. Mine are due to arrive today…
Let me know how good/bad they appear to be when you get them if you don't mind

They have arrived and are as expected. They are more foam than rubber. Quite light weight and go together easily by hand - no hammer required. They are probably too lightweight for heavy garage use but fine for me. You’d probably need something under the feet of axle stands.

They have to be worth trying for the money..

Attachments

• 8415622C-454D-41FF-8100-13777B07E4FA.jpeg
    8415622C-454D-41FF-8100-13777B07E4FA.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • 262D6FF8-80DD-41CA-BDB2-43E2196AF026.jpeg
    262D6FF8-80DD-41CA-BDB2-43E2196AF026.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
  • FF950A57-E25A-4F7A-9A3C-28B49B9B45AC.jpeg
    FF950A57-E25A-4F7A-9A3C-28B49B9B45AC.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
Yes, probably. But it’s got to be better than the carpet that I currently have..

And there are a lot of reviewers on the website that are happy with them on their garages. 🤷‍♂️

Halfords ones are fine and cheap, we used to use them a lot in the factory when parking cars inside.
Stopped the tyres from reacting to the pain on the concrete floor and also stopped any leaks under the car too.

I have them in the garage just now under the Imp and they do the job ok.

Costco have got to be worth a try for the tiles that they sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom