Covid-19 Discussion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Difficult to believe you can organise an event w/o dealing with the outside world.
Hasn't any of them been to a supermarket and wondered why there are 2m distance queues and a lot of masks on bods?
Thats their line and they’re sticking to it.

Reactions: m80

The general view of the Jewish community is that the attendees of the wedding were ultra-orthodox Jews who have zero access to television, internet and newspapers therefore they no nothing of the Coronavirus.
Not to put too fine a point on it but that is a crock of......

I'm with @Harrythedog but they should be locked in disused army barracks for at least 2 weeks under quarantine. The authorities can air drop them army ration packs and portaloos.

And
Thats their line and they’re sticking to it.
and look very stupid in that case.
Even back in the promised land they are taking huge steps to combat this thing, you would imagine there would be the odd post card received from there.

And

Even back in the promised land they are taking huge steps to combat this thing, you would imagine there would be the odd post card received from there.
From what I’ve been reading on Facebook the ultra Orthodox Jews are pretty much still in the 1700’s.
Even the less insular Jews are up in arms about this.

if I was to be honest, I find the subject quite interesting but I think the thread might get pulled soon, which will be a shame.

The Chief Rabbi has come out with a statement but these peeps are so steeped in orthodoxy they will even ignore this.

and arrogance is new excuse under the law.

he thread might get pulled soon, which will be a shame.

You may be right, but v often legalities are discussed here.
I've seen more than once that a person seeking sympathy for crossing the line, with whatever excuse, are told they should be held accountable.
Done the crime and all that.

So yes it would be a shame.

Best to avoid talking abouth peoples faith / religions i would say.

CFR goes up for the first time.

Cases -
15/01 - 21/01 = 227,631
08/01 - 14/01 = 302,786
01/01 - 07/01 = 347,355
24/12 - 31/12 = 300,193
16/12 - 23/12 = 236,274
08/12 - 15/12 = 137,875

Friday 22nd January CFR is 2.67%
Friday 14th January CFR was 2.64%
Friday 7th January CFR was 2.72%
Friday 1st January CFR was 2.92%
Tuesday 29th December CFR was 3.05%
Sunday 27th December CFR was 3.12%
Tuesday 22nd December CFR was 3.24%
Sunday 20th December CFR was 3.30%
Saturday 19th December CFR was 3.35%
Monday 14th December CFR was 3.47%
Saturday 12th December CFR was 3.51%
Tuesday 1st December CFR was 3.59%
Wednesday 25th November CFR was 3.63%
Saturday 21st November CFR was 3.68%
Wednesday18th November CFR was 3.74%
Saturday 14th November CFR was 3.89%
Monday 9th November CFR was 4.11%
Friday 6th November CFR was 4.28%
Tuesday 3rd November CFR was 4.45%
Sunday 1st November CFR was 4.60%
Thursday 29th Oct CFR was 4.85%
Tuesday 27th Oct CFR was 4.94%
Sunday 25th Oct CFR was 5.24%
Tuesday 20th Oct CFR was 5.9%
Friday 16th Oct CFR was 6.3%.
Monday 12th Oct CFR was 6.78%.
Thursday 8th Oct CFR was 7.8%.
Monday 5th Oct CFR was 8.2%.

You may be right, but v often legalities are discussed here.
I've seen more than once that a person seeking sympathy for crossing the line, with whatever excuse, are told they should be held accountable.
Done the crime and all that.

So yes it would be a shame.
Thread has been stopped.

Another profile of a drug which may be of value in the management of severe COVID-19. This one is called Tocilizumab.

Well Prof Ferguson is in the Sun and we get the headline:

And we gert the headline:

"DEADLY STRAIN​
New Covid strain is 30% MORE deadly than original virus"​

And who do we get quoted but our favourite expert with the weather forecast quote:

Professor Neil Ferguson, who sits on NERVTAG, told Peston today: "It is a realistic possibility that the new UK variant increases the risk of death, but there is considerable remaining uncertainty."​

And the other snippet after some rather more tangible looking facts which appear to be where the Sun's headline of '30%' came from:

"However, he warned that only eight per cent of deaths contain information about which strain they had had."​

This is all irresponsible. It's the same click bait as the repeated extreme weather forecast headlines that pop up.

Best to avoid talking abouth peoples faith / religions i would say.

I don't disagree.
Thing is I had seen the headline and just thought that another irresponsible bunch were thinking the law only applies when it suits. It was only seeing further comment here that educated me that those involved were of any belief structure. But it does seem relevant to this discussion.

We need be cautious to avoid offending so many, and it gets difficult if such discussion is relevant. I hadn't aimed at insulting any religious category (apologies if it appeared to be so), I had referred to 400 people that to my mind had invited response to their actions.

Mods can remove my post/s on this w/o fear I'll be offended.

Right. We've done the "there was no choice but to lock down" bit and the "we're in a place we never should have got to" bit and also the "lockdown does more harm than good" bit, so how about moving on to the "look forwards" bit and thinking about an exit strategy?

It's never wise to embark on a course of action that causes harm, regardless of the "noble cause" justification, without a defined exit strategy. Starting a war without having clear objectives or knowing how to end it is a great example of this. Regardless that this is common knowledge, it's abundantly clear that all western countries that have opted for lockdown as a Covid-19 mitigation strategy are now wrestling with how they are going to get out of their lockdowns, indicating that none of them had properly considered the exit phase when they went down that route.

Our CMO has said that in his view Covid-19 is likely to be with us for the foreseeable future - years, not months - and that it is therefore a societal decision (he actually said a political decision, but discussion along those lines doesn't belong in this thread) as to what level of mortality we are willing to accept going forwards, and that will inform the actions that we take. So what is that level going to be for the UK? The 7k - 20k deaths per annum that we would normally expect from 'flu? More? Less?

With the vaccination program slated to have immunised the most at risk groups (that cover circa 99% of those likely to die if they contract a Covid-19 infection) by mid February and the immunity level reaching its optimum around 3 weeks later, do we then start the road to normal life? Or do we wait? And if we wait, what are the indicators that we would take as a signal to move?

And

My wife has friends in Israel and the orthodox and ultra orthodox are a problem there too.

There isn't and Never was a exit strategy , This wont be over until Everyone is Subject to TOTAL Control of the Government.

Only the Very rich will get away without having to submit to a Totalitarian rule. WEF has all your answers if you don't know what im getting at.

"Trojan Horse" that is covid

Right. We've done the "there was no choice but to lock down" bit and the "we're in a place we never should have got to" bit and also the "lockdown does more harm than good" bit, so how about moving on to the "look forwards" bit and thinking about an exit strategy?

It's never wise to embark on a course of action that causes harm, regardless of the "noble cause" justification, without a defined exit strategy. Starting a war without having clear objectives or knowing how to end it is a great example of this. Regardless that this is common knowledge, it's abundantly clear that all western countries that have opted for lockdown as a Covid-19 mitigation strategy are now wrestling with how they are going to get out of their lockdowns, indicating that none of them had properly considered the exit phase when they went down that route.

Our CMO has said that in his view Covid-19 is likely to be with us for the foreseeable future - years, not months - and that it is therefore a societal decision (he actually said a political decision, but discussion along those lines doesn't belong in this thread) as to what level of mortality we are willing to accept going forwards, and that will inform the actions that we take. So what is that level going to be for the UK? The 7k - 20k deaths per annum that we would normally expect from 'flu? More? Less?

With the vaccination program slated to have immunised the most at risk groups (that cover circa 99% of those likely to die if they contract a Covid-19 infection) by mid February and the immunity level reaching its optimum around 3 weeks later, do we then start the road to normal life? Or do we wait? And if we wait, what are the indicators that we would take as a signal to move?

Back in the day we were told "wait 'til the vaccine and we can return to normal".

Well, the vaccines are here and you're spot on to ask "where is the exit strategy?"

Now we're being told "not sure how the vaccines work/they only confer protection from a more serious bout of covid/they don't stop transmission/don't stop you catching it".

Prof Shagferguson is spouting his "this is getting worse, not better" mantra.

Meanwhile, the economy slips, slowly, gradually and inexorably towards the point to no return.

I suggest the economy will be shot before any exit from this mess. Can we now believe any govt promises?

An exit strategy is a bit premature at the moment, infections rates would have to seriously reduce before relaxing anything. With so many ignoring the current rules is it any wonder we are seeing more infections. I hope Boris has the guts to hold fast and not succumb to those who value the economy over deaths, which sadly increased infections rates will mean higher casualties a few weeks down the line down the line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom