Crackdown on seatbelt laws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kikkthecat

MB Enthusiast
Car
2011 Viano 2.2 CDi Ambiente
I read this in our local paper recently, it's hard to believe that so many people dont seem to give a damn about their own childrens' safety.

You see them all the time in this part of the world, cars driving around with kids running loose inside, standing between the 2 front seats, standing in the passenger footwell, I've even seen them hanging out of windows or sunroofs. Toyota Previas seem to be the worse culprits but by no means the only ones.

Nice to see they are finally doing something about it

92 tickets issued at one checkpoint in one day

Last edited:
Maybe it may get some of the parents walking their kids to school, giving the kids a bit more exercise and most of all keeping the traffic off the roads.....................oops sorry I just woke up:D :D

kikkthecat said:
You see them all the time in this part of the world, cars driving around with kids running loose inside, standing between the 2 front seats, standing in the passenger footwell,

I see them too, it's a cultural thing I fail to understand..

Dieselman said:
I see them too, it's a cultural thing I fail to understand..

Don't see it too much where I am - but do when in Leeds etc. It's does seem to be cultural but there are always exceptions. Whoever - it makes my blood boil that ppl value their children so poorly, or maybe don;t accept the dangers of not using belts etc.:mad: :mad:

When my kids were younger they could choose not to wear seatbelts. It's just that the car would not move if all seatbelts were not fastened. Full Stop.

I do recall we once sat on the drive for almost an hour until they finally belted up when they realised Carol and I were serious. We have a boy and a girl -guess who was the REALLY stubborn one? :bannana: :bannana:

i Agree entirely - this is one thing that makes my blood boil more than anything Kids not strapped in -:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Makes me want to ask them if they really love their kids :mad: Have even got close to noting reg number and phoning the police - didnt but a few times got very close

fred_raven said:
i Agree entirely - this is one thing that makes my blood boil more than anything Kids not strapped in -:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Makes me want to ask them if they really love their kids :mad: Have even got close to noting reg number and phoning the police - didnt but a few times got very close

In a moment of madness a few weeks ago I followed a car into the local petrol station from the motorway and actually asked the lady driver if letting her small child stand between the front seats was a good idea. To be fair, she did something about it - but I had visions of a race riot on my hands!

And before someone says it, I know that it is not my place to advise others on bringing up their children. But sometimes, just sometimes....

Steve

Last edited:
I'm the same... following a car through roadworks to see the kids jumping \ standing made my blood boil, and next set of lights I had to step out and have words... I don't think I was threatening, but I *was* firm...

"Don't you care about your children's safety?"

"They're not my children"

In order not to explode \ lose my temper, I walked away.... and rang the police.

(three daughters, all will not travel anywhere in *anyones* car without a belt)

I can see it from both sides, I wear a belt myself and insist anyone in my car does too but at the same time both my brother and mum were involved in bad crashes when they were younger, in both cases they were told if they had have been wearing a seatbelt they would've been dead

Tilly said:
I can see it from both sides, I wear a belt myself and insist anyone in my car does too but at the same time both my brother and mum were involved in bad crashes when they were younger, in both cases they were told if they had have been wearing a seatbelt they would've been dead

I understand and accept your point Tilly. I think the essence of what we are talking about here is the a) safety of those whom are not yet able to make informed decisions themselves and b) the fact that a small child becomes a lethal projectile should the worst happen.

It's a difficult call like you say

Steve

If they cant control their kids in the car, just think what they are like at home / outside!

Apart from unbelted people, the worst thing I saw was a woman holding a young child on her lap in the front seat with both of them wearing one belt. She couldnt seem to understand that if the car stopped suddenly, all her weight would be pressed against the child, who was restrained by the belt :eek: She thought I was making it up.

Allan

Sorry, what do people mean by "a cultural thing"? I'm sure it's just a Euphemism for something (a certain race, or colour, or location), but I can't work out which. Why can't people just out and say what they mean?

-simon

SimonsMerc said:
Sorry, what do people mean by "a cultural thing"? I'm sure it's just a Euphemism for something (a certain race, or colour, or location), but I can't work out which. Why can't people just out and say what they mean?

-simon

Well firstly, lets not open up a racism debate, there is one race, the human race.
But you're right, people in this thread have called it a cultural thing when what they mean is people from the Aisan community. Toller Lane where the checks took place is an area with a very high immigrant population and I would expect the majority pulled on a school run in that area would be Asian.
I know there are good and bad drivers in all sections of the community but you really do have to see what goes on in this part of the world to believe it. One woman and 6 or 7 kids in a Toyota corolla is commonplace.
My next door neighbour is a police officer who was involved in the checkpoint and he tells me that over half of those issued tickets pleaded ignorance of the laws

What can you do with people who learned to drive in an environment like this :D

kikkthecat said:
What can you do with people who learned to drive in an environment like this :D

M25?:D :D no couldn't have been, there were no collisions:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom