Cracked 2015 C250d headlight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrTiff

Car
C250d
Hi all, this is my first post here. I had a search but couldn't find any info.
I hit a deer last night, my family and I are ok, the car is surprisingly ok , can't say the same for the poor deer. ( i very nearly managed to stop, the brakes are amazing!!)
I'll get to the point , all it's done is cracked the headlight and split the front badge in the grill.
Mercedes have quoted me £1051 for supply only of the headlight, I cannot buy it as a shell only. It has to come as a whole until. ( it's the intelligent one so dearer) but I've heard from another source it has to be programmed to the car?????
This seems a bit unnecessary to me just for a cracked light. Surely there's an easier way?

Any info people have would be greatly recieved ,
I don't wanna go through the insurance because like a fool I forgot to protect my NCB, and my excess is £600.

Thanks

Yes coded to the car I'm afraid, Mercedes trying to tie the general public to the main dealer once again.

If you can find a Mercedes specailist who is connected online to Mercedes they can do it.

Track down the deers next of kin and sue.

There are a bunch of control units underneath that control the LED (in addition to the headlight) and the coding on the control unit that controls the LED can only be set once and needs to match a string of characters printed on the headlight. If you plug in a wrongly coded control unit it will blow up those nice LEDs. (This is because the control unit is used on multiple headlights and the string of characters tells the control unit what power/current to feed to each of the different sets of LEDs)

The bumper has to come off, a whole new headlight - possibly one new control unit (but I think unlikely, but you must check the old and new headlights have the same coding string) and Star Diagnosis to configure it, and then needs alignment.

If you are willing to drive to Lightwater in Surrey, talk to Alfie at comand.co.uk (via website) - he can sort it for you

Richard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom