Cracked and broke car's electric wire "plastic back cover" for ignition coil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nguyC230

Car
C230 Kompressor (year 2000)
Hi folks,
I'm a new member and own a C230 Kompressor (year 2000). I'm a DIY-guy and this forum has been quite helpful for learning.
I decided to put this question in the general forum as it could apply to several types of Mercedes.

2 weeks ago, I was replacing my ignition coil and in the process broke the plastic back cover that protects the car's electric wires which plug into the ignition coil.
That ignition coil was hard to reach and that plasticky part was stubbornly stuck and simply hard to detach from the ignition coil. Btw, if anyone knows an easy way to take it out, pls let me know for next time :)
So now, I'm driving without that plastic cover for that ignition coils. The other one is intact (C230 has 2 coils). There's no issue so far.

QUESTIONS:
Without that plastic part, am I gonna run into issues long run, e.g. corrosion of the wires or worst ?
And how's that part called as I'm trying to see if I could buy a replacement online?
Is the task of replacing it easy for a beginner DIY?
Many thanks for any advice.

Attaching 4 photos of that part: 1) ignition coil with the back cover 2) ignition coils without it 3) close-up 4) close-up
WP_20200222_015.jpg
WP_20200222_020.jpg
WP_20200222_008.jpg
WP_20200222_011.jpg

Your problem here is "embrittlement" -everything under that M111 engine cam cover plate is getting cooked by the engine heat- plug plastic moulding and wiring insulation. The 2 wires in question consist of a] 12v permanent supply with ignition on -- b] wire to the engine ECU to earth the coil- collapsing the field and firing the 2 plugs--- a such they are low voltage and unlikely to short across any air gap. Mercedes will supply a replacement but will be the plug plus its associated wiring. Best to affect a repair as suggested with some epoxy glue using the bits that are left as its best to avoid moving these components as much as possible to avoid damaging the brittle wiring insulation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Could you not glue the two pieces together or use some self amalgamating tape around it.

You may be able to find the part here. www.realoem.com

It covers Mercedes vehicles and you can use your VIN to search for parts fitted to your vehicle.

In theory yes, but it's very difficult because of the location of the coil which requires your body to be stretched all the way over the engine without support, the cold weather, the need for small and precise thin fingers and light.

Your problem here is "embrittlement" -everything under that M111 engine cam cover plate is getting cooked by the engine heat- plug plastic moulding and wiring insulation. The 2 wires in question consist of a] 12v permanent supply with ignition on -- b] wire to the engine ECU to earth the coil- collapsing the field and firing the 2 plugs--- a such they are low voltage and unlikely to short across any air gap. Mercedes will supply a replacement but will be the plug plus its associated wiring. Best to affect a repair as suggested with some epoxy glue using the bits that are left as its best to avoid moving these components as much as possible to avoid damaging the brittle wiring insulation.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks for the advice and the video. I assume that if MB supplies the wiring, then replacing that wiring won't be an easy task, right?

You are correct replacing the wiring would be more involved ---the broken part will work "as is" insitu as an air gap should insulate it.

Pretty sure your part is 203 on the diagram ---part no A2025406081
Genuine MERCEDES Vito 638/2 Fem. Connector Hous. El. Iii Electric 2025406081 | eBay

See ENGINE CABLE HARNESS, C/CLK-CLASS MERCEDES C-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)
B54165000007.020228.png

You are correct replacing the wiring would be more involved ---the broken part will work "as is" insitu as an air gap should insulate it.

Pretty sure your part is 203 on the diagram ---part no A2025406081
Genuine MERCEDES Vito 638/2 Fem. Connector Hous. El. Iii Electric 2025406081 | eBay

See ENGINE CABLE HARNESS, C/CLK-CLASS MERCEDES C-KLASSE [Car] [CHASSIS] (EUROPA)
Yep, looks like the one. Thanks for finding it grober!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom