cracked pistons on 2001 316 CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jpcommunication

Car
x5
My 2001 Sprinter broke down and oil came up the dipstick and emptyed the engine. We took it to a professional engine building company who upon taking the engine apart ahve discovered all 5 pistons are cracked and piston number one has cracked so badly that there is a hole hence the ooil pressure in the crank forcing the dipstick out. The van has done only 105k miles and the engine apart from the pistons is in really good condition. No other damage whatsoever. I raed somewhere that there have been gudgeon pin problems causing weakness? Can anybody help please??

They are all cracked in the same place on either side of the piston in line with the gudgeon pin. I was wondering whether this is a manufacturing defect? Thank you for any replies!

yes it was chipped by superchip at 3k miles

When you say EGT temps, what do you mean? It has never ever gone over half way and the revs since day one have never been above 4000. The limit in each gear is 4k and it is a sprintshift so no dodgy downshifts etc!

As a result of injecting more fuel the cylinder temperatures have gone sky high, which is why the pistons have cracked.

Go back and speak to Superchips about covering the damage their remap has caused.
I suspect they won't even be able to tell you what temperatures their map subjects the pistons, valves, cylinder-head and turbo to.

Ask them what EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperatures) the remap causes.

Has no-one ever wondered why engine manufacturers have their diesel engines only make so much power?

To be fair it has done over 100k with the remap and it is VERY FAST!!! The engine is being rebuilt by a race engine company and they will balance it etc. There is absolutely no other damage whatsoever. In fact the engine looks brand new and there are quite a few interesting features in it found on the best race engines.I need to buy 5 x pistons and that is about it apart from replacing all the pulleys (for quiet running) on the engine and the belt. Would you suggest I change the chain or leave it?

It won't need a chain yet, but if it's coming apart it would be false economy.

You do need to fit an EGT gauge and maybe a larger inter-cooler. High EGT is what kills engines, so whatever you can do to reduce it will prolong the life and may give even more power than you have now.

Last edited:
Ok I can do the intercooler fairly easily, prob will change the chain although no damage again but the engine is now in a thousand pieces.Did you mean ferrari piston service? There is one in Southampton wher I live.

Whatever you would like to call them... ;)

I would ask local engine re-conditioners first, they normally have very good sources.

Ok I will !!!! Kind regards James

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom