Cracking and creeking C220CDI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave Davies

Car
C220 CDi Coupe Evo Pan
I recently defected from BMW to MB, I looked at a range of top marques as I like my comfort and certainly style while driving. Saab, Audi and Volvo where all contenders, but I finally settled with MB. Two models where on my list the C220 CDI Sports Evo Pan and the SLK. I decide to go with the C220 CDI as it was slightly smaller and a little more economical certainly under present fuel conditions
The main reason why I moved away from BMW was the continuous mechanical problems, my last 2 E46 diesels both had major gear box problems, anyway I’m now the owner of the most stunning looking car. But it while driving it sounds like a cross between a 16th century galleon and a Second World War battle ship.
It creeks, and it cracks, I have to have the windows or glass roof open along with the radio on to try and disguise the annoying noises. I had the car in March and it has been back to the dealer no less than 5 times. only 2 weeks ago it had the whole glass roof replaced. I would shudder to think what the cost to MB was. Apparently the roof can be a problem as an older form of bonding agent dries and hardens so as the car flexes this annoying aggravating noise persists while driving. Thankfully this has now been solved but it has left the random cracking and creaking which is really P***ing me off.
The problem is highlighted when the car temperature exceeds 15C, at lower speeds with any slight undulation in the road surface or turning a sharp corner. From time to time you will get an almighty crack witch comes from the dash, the rear hatch or the centre consol. The sound is very plastic like, it any one aware if MB changed the properties of any of the interior trim to avoid or improve this. I have been in touch with MB and awaiting another visit.
I must say the dealership have been very good but this is beginning to be a waste of time and I’m beginning to think that the car is never going to be a quiet and luxurious as any BMW I have owned.

Yes, these sunroofs can be a problem on the creaking front. Also the car is a hatch, not a saloon, and so will flex (and creak) more as a result. But it does sound as if you have a bad one there. Was it new or second-hand? If second hand, what's the history - e.g. any known accidents?

I've had 3 MB estates that have never creaked. Our CLK does a bit, but then it is a cab.

Creeking and Cracking C220 CDI Coupe

Thanks Jeremy for your reply
It is still under MB warranty until November 08, as far as I am aware it has been in no accident but there again who knows exactly its full history.
It’s been great these past few days as the weather has been fairly cool but when it gets warm its so frustrating. As you say lots of the cracking seems to come from the rear hatch, it could possibly be the plastic surround, as you flex this manually you get the same sound. I had a C200 coupe on loan while the roof was being replaced, this was a quiet as a mouse. I did try the plastic surround around the hatch, the material seemed to be of a different type, that is, it seemed more flexible and less brittle and as a consequence it did not crack when put under strain.
This hopefully will be considered when it goes back to the MB dealer. It’s quite sad to think you spend all that money and actually you are getting silly problems which you possibly would expect from a budget vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom