Cracking in tyre's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A250 Bennyboy

Car
A Class A250 w176
Checking the wife's tyre pressures out this morning I always have a look for damage and anything untoward, and came across cracks on both back tyres running completely all the way around the tyre.
Only the backs have these both fronts are OK.
Tyre's look like a mid range budget one's Hankooks?
Not had any experience with this brand of tyre but going off the cracks in them think I'll replace all corners for some Goodyear Eagle.
Priced them up at 84 quid a pop
Cheers
Ben :thumb:

As you can see not even close to the limit wear spots.sometimes it's not cost effective to go with budget tyres.

Yes sun will do this , plus how old are they. I spray mine with silicone spray .And wipe the residue off after . Also i have 4 spray covers ,the sort that the spray shop use to keep spray paint off the wheels. Only i use it to keep the sun off the tyres.

The wife only bought the car a few months ago so not sure on age, I've had a look for the manufacture made date but can't find?
But going off a closer look at them I'd say they have been on the car for a good few years, plenty of crazy cracking in the side walls as well.
She's off to Wales for easter so to be safe I'll get all four replaced.
I wouldn't of thought sun light would of done this:eek: you live and learn:thumb:
I was thinking under inflated tyres putting load on outer edge of the tyre's had coursed the cracks or like you say old tyres.
Cheers

The wife only bought the car a few months ago so not sure on age, I've had a look for the manufacture made date but can't find?

There should be a 4 digit number somewhere, first two digits=week number, second two=year

But going off a closer look at them I'd say they have been on the car for a good few years, plenty of crazy cracking in the side walls as well.
She's off to Wales for easter so to be safe I'll get all four replaced.
I wouldn't of thought sun light would of done this:eek: you live and learn:thumb:
I was thinking under inflated tyres putting load on outer edge of the tyre's had coursed the cracks or like you say old tyres.
Cheers

If you give me the tyre size I can have a look at the costs for some other brands. As well as your location :)

195/45/R16 - 80V
Had a good look for the DOM but can't work it out :dk: these are the only numbers on the tyres

:confused:

I've got a full set of Hankook Ventus EVO tyres on the Nissan, and they haven't done that. - The newest tyres are a couple of years old now (although it has been on axle stands for almost a year).

My experience is that Goodyear Eagle F1s are quite a soft compound, so I go through them in about a year; I think the sidewall is quite soft so I lean on them too much. - The Hankooks have lasted much better, and I've got a lot of faith that the car will go where I point it and stay on the road.
Toyo Proxes have also been quite good for me, but I find myself sideways with cheap rubber on the car.

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - £87.30 each fully fitted - £349.20 full set fitted
Pirelli Pzero Nero GT - £70.50 each fully fitted - £282.00 full set fitted

Prices include balancing, new valves etc. and nitrogen inflation which I believe means you will have to check pressures less frequently (mine are Nitrogen filled and I find pressure takes ages to drop compared to before)

Prices for Kwikfit, the one thing they can do is fit tyres :)

They also offer mobile fitting free of charge for 2 tyres or more

Can also recommend Tyresonthedrive if your after a mobile service. Not sure if they are in your area but believe they are nationwide. A bit more expensive however.

Cheers

Michelin Pilot Sport 3 - £87.30 each fully fitted - £349.20 full set fitted
Pirelli Pzero Nero GT - £70.50 each fully fitted - £282.00 full set fitted

Prices include balancing, new valves etc. and nitrogen inflation which I believe means you will have to check pressures less frequently (mine are Nitrogen filled and I find pressure takes ages to drop compared to before)

Prices for Kwikfit, the one thing they can do is fit tyres :)

They also offer mobile fitting free of charge for 2 tyres or more

Can also recommend Tyresonthedrive if your after a mobile service. Not sure if they are in your area but believe they are nationwide. A bit more expensive however.

Cheers

Great posting. :thumb:

I ended up getting all four replaced with Goodyear fitted including
vat £336.00.
Needed get new set as she's off to sunny Wales Thursday..
Popped some new center caps in as well:thumb:

Ben:thumb:

I ended up getting all four replaced with Goodyear fitted including
vat £336.00.
Needed get new set as she's off to sunny Wales Thursday..
Popped some new center caps in as well:thumb:

Ben:thumb:

Good job... hopefully she'll get good many miles out of em

Did you have them nitrogen inflated?

Tyre date of manufacture may only be on one sidewall, so if you can't see it-its on the inside wall. Tread cracking is usually associated with tyre old age and/ or non-use. When a tyre is used on the road it heats up by flexing and this redistributes the oils contained in the rubber thro-out the tyre. If its not used certain areas can dry out and crack.

<anorak mode>
Those look like Hankook S1 Evos, which were OE fitment for that model of Fiesta. Depending on mileage, they were quite possibly the original tyres. The state of the sidewalls suggests they've also been driven on when seriously underinflated (presumably by the previous owner) which would likely contribute to the cracking observed.
</anorak>

Last edited:
Had them done at a local tyre fitter I've used for years. Ashton tyres they always do a good deal and service.

Ah right, more than likely they don't have a Nitrogen machine

Only places I know of that have them are Kwikfit, Costcos and I believe ATS Euromaster

Oh yeh by the way you can pay £4 and have them all nitrogen filled I believe at ATS or Kwikffit (£1 per tyre)

What's supposed to be the benefit of a nitrogen fill, given that air is already ~80% nitrogen?

Supposedly tyres keep the corect pressures for longer as it's more dense than air so will not leak and loose pressure.
That's what I read when I Google it :dk:
And it'll make the car lighter as well I suppose :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom