Cracking noise from front

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pstock

Car
W212 E63s
Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

After reversing and the driving away, when I come to use the brakes( first time after reversing ) there is a horrendous Crack noise from the front of the car, unable to detect where its coming from left, right, centre of the car. :dk:

Driving me BooLoo :crazy:

Thanks

Paul S

A worn ball joint I suspect. Be very careful, they have been know to fail completely.

Or poorly fitting brake pads reseating?

Either way get it on a ramp and get it inspected.

Sounds very much like 'pad slap' Take a few minutes on a quiet empty road. Drive forwards from stationary and brake. Reverse normally (maybe harder and faster than usual), and press the brake pedal normally. If you have pad slap, you will hear this noise, each time you alternate the direction of travel. It means the brake pads are not seated or affixed correctly. It's not something to worry about, as long there is thickness left on the pads. Just point this out next time you get the pads changed. If if doesn't click or 'clack' when you do the above, get it on a ramp.

DSM10000, sallison1504

Pad slap ! that's a new one on me (we learn something new everyday) possibly make's sense as I did change the disc's and they were only cheapies, from ECP
I'll check and see what's happening,

Thanks for the assistance

Well, thanks to the above information from DSM10000 & Sallison1504 I have replaced the front discs & pads, the front is now noise and crack free.

The discs were changed because of a humming noise when braking which has now gone, the new pads are a fraction taller and fit snugly ( only half a mil difference between old and new) so if any advice can be offered from my problems it is this

DON'T BUY EICHER BRAKE PARTS spend the extra and save money. You really do get what you pay for !!

Ps
For sale : Eicher front pads n discs for a CL500, only 4 months old, genuine reason for selling. Any reasonable offer accepted.

Lol good to hear you got it sorted! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom