Crankshaft position sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tigg

Car
SL 300 24v
Hi I’m new to this site, hoping some one can help me. I have a 1991, 300sl 24v and have been told be my local Mercedes dealer that the crankshaft sensor is no longer available, can any one help really don’t want to give up on the car.

Have u tried ebay?I find them decent for car parts

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hi Tigg , welcome
Don't always believe what MB say, thay are just like any other supplier. Sometimes confused , sometimes ill informed and sometimes damn right lazy.

You did right by asking on here. :thumb:

Hi I’m new to this site, hoping some one can help me. I have a 1991, 300sl 24v and have been told be my local Mercedes dealer that the crankshaft sensor is no longer available, can any one help really don’t want to give up on the car.
Original MB part appears to be available at my usual supplier here: KFZ Teile Profis - Ersatzteile, Autoteile, Originalteile für alle Automarken

Part number A0021539028. This is for my 300CE-24 so it's very likely to be the same.

RayH

Dont have any other make of CPS other than Bosch I use Autodoc and i do find them very good .

Mine's been installed for years. It's from Hella. I replaced it for no reason and kept the original.

They are very reliable, in my experience.

Yes, I use AutoDoc for all non-MB bits.

R

ray i only fit Mercedes parts . But for plugs ht items they are Bosch or Beru . Man filters Castrol engine oil . But original mercedes brake fluid and aouto box fluids .Ray thinking about it thats a good idea,, the cps are very expensive,, so going of your info i might do just the same and pick up an Hella cps

ray i only fit Mercedes parts . But for plugs ht items they are Bosch or Beru . Man filters Castrol engine oil . But original mercedes brake fluid and aouto box fluids .Ray thinking about it thats a good idea,, the cps are very expensive,, so going of your info i might do just the same and pick up an Hella cps

Broadly with you on that.

I've got some MB original plugs in stock but NGK installed. MB Diesel spec 5W30 oil (it's dead cheap) and Bosch cap and rotor. Beru leads. MB oil filters and Mann air filter. Brake and box fluid installed by PCS in Horndean so assumed to be good stuff.

About 3 years ago I started a programme of searching the 'net for new old stock MB stuff compatible with my 300CE. I got loads of stuff including steering lock and headlamp switch (both installed) and duovalve, wiper motor and others in stock. Sadly, the supply is now drying up with loads of eBay chancers quoting prices that are sometimes higher than my MB new supplier, when parts are still available.

My latest disaster was blowing up my only spare EZL. I got a new one from Germany for 1200€ and have yet to fit it.

These cars can be costly!!!!!

R

Ray one of the first spare parts i picked up was the EZL i saw the price of them pre owned on Ebay up to £300 .So picked one up from a seller in Doublin .As this was for a spare i fitted it in the car to see if it was a good the day it came . I have most bits in duplicate other than the CPS we are talking about. Priced the Heller cps anjd at Autodoc price is £74 and a Bosch one with cost me £175 so you can guess the one i am going for only because it for a spare ,you never know,, this cps thats in there migh last the car out, but you never know .. .Next item is fuel pumps .

Ray one of the first spare parts i picked up was the EZL i saw the price of them pre owned on Ebay up to £300 .So picked one up from a seller in Doublin .As this was for a spare i fitted it in the car to see if it was a good the day it came . I have most bits in duplicate other than the CPS we are talking about. Priced the Heller cps anjd at Autodoc price is £74 and a Bosch one with cost me £175 so you can guess the one i am going for only because it for a spare ,you never know,, this cps thats in there migh last the car out, but you never know .. .Next item is fuel pumps .

I cannot understand how I grilled 2 EZLs in 4 months last year. MB European service suggested that I change my ignition switch. So I have. But I'm dashed if I understand how the ignition switch could have killed 2.

Or was it just rotten luck.

Both my spares were secondhand at about £250 each. I am now on the original or one of the spares, don't know which.

Now, do I dare install the new 1200€ job with the new ignition switch? I suppose I must.

RayH

Ray did you coat the back of the EZL with the special white dielectric grease type material along with the clear plastic sheet ? i have read about this were a member told me to change a part in the ht side after replacing the EZL i forget now .

I replaced my CPS , got it from Eurocarparts way cheaper than MB. It was a genuine Bosch part , good enough for me The one I removed (What a job that was !!) had no markings on it and it was not a Bosch part , so it had been done before.

Pete At the time i was looking for this EZL for the M103 they were no longer avaliable from MB . And the word was all new ones were snaped up by one company some years ago .Only around now for the M103 are as i said second hand .

Why are you replacing the CPS. They are very reliable on the 24V. I've yet to do one on that engine one 20 years as a Merc Tech

Black C55 Reason is for a spare .If at some time i am stuck out and it goes,, i will have one in my tool kit in the car all times,, along with other vital spares .

Why are you replacing the CPS. They are very reliable on the 24V. I've yet to do one on that engine one 20 years as a Merc Tech

Agree 100%. Mine is newer but there's no reason to suspect the 30 year old original - it's still in stock and may have been in the boot in Horndean!!! - remember? I was doubtless fixing what ain't broke.

In reply to the above, yes, the heatsink compound is something I'm well aware of. Applied judicially as always. I've changed several when testing my spares. By the way, the foil on the MB-supplied "new" one (my MB one bought in Bochum in February was made in 2003!) is cosmetic. It has no electrical insulation function as the unit is bolted to the chassis with steel bolts. In fact, it may reduce thermal conductivity to chassis. Ludicrous when you think that these cars were supplied to Saudi where it gets majorly hot.

Hey ho.

Another glass of rouge in locked down Dordogne.

Best to all.

RayH

Ray stay cool mate keep well . Me i have a nice jamjar to fill up with Jack Daniels ha ha so i might work on my car tomorrow i dont know .But we are in line for snow on Monday might be sooner., or there again we might not see any .

Somewhere at the back of my mind is that with the change to a two mass flywheel around that time it meant clearance was reduced such that a spacer had to be put under the mounting flange of the older CPS design- maybe its that one thats been discontinued? A comparison of effective length old and new should sort that out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom