Crash , Bang , Wallop !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I left work last night and headed up the dual carriageway towards East Kilbride in torrential rain . Because of the weather conditions my speed was nowhere near the 60 mph limit allowed on the dual carriageway - just as well !

As I came over a hill crest and rounded a left hand bend , I saw one of our officers , who had left our car park a few moments before me , running down the central reservation towards a Mondeo on the opposite carriageway , which had hit the central barrier and was now lying in the outside lane facing oncoming traffic which was hurtling downhill towards it , in the wet , from around a bend at alarming speeds !

I carried on up the dual carriageway for about half a mile to the next junction at which I could turn round , and before joining the opposite carriageway , stopped and put my blue lights up on the roof . I then got into the outside lane and proceeded slowly down to the bend , stopping the van in the outside lane just within sight of the crashed car . I left the van there with blue lights flashing to protect the occupant of the crashed car - and got myself well out of the way . By this time my colleague was helping the stunned but uninjured driver out of his mondeo .

It seemed like an eternity before the police arrived , but reallly was something like 10 mind - first two panda cars then a traffic car . They started to get the road coned off , and arranged for amey to come out as diesel was leaking out of the crashed car and running all over the road .

The traffic cops set out cones to close the lane off and then we waited for a recovery truck . A few minutes later , there was another crash on the other side of the dual carriageway , due to 'rubberneckers' too busy gawking at the crash and not seeing slowing traffic in front , then a third crash in which a driver braked hard to avoid the second crash , hit the barrier and spun round !!!! Not only that , but one of the traffic cops had to jump the barrier out of the way of a jack-knifing artic whose driver had failed to see four sets of blue lights , a dozen people in hi-viz gear and the Amber beacons of at least three civilian vehicles !

I eventually got home about 9 pm .

Another normal day then.:D

Glad everyone was OK, could have been carnage.:eek:

an eventful evening. hope everyone involved was OK in the end

I know the road in question well and gets very slippery and no matter how hard it rains, not many people slow down and most people still drive nose to tail and then you end up with this chaos!!!

And then theirs the rubber neckers..............:doh:

The weather has been really bad here over the last 48hrs (makes a change from all the sunshine).

2 accidents on the A82 yesterday and I saw an excercise in car control. Someones back end slid out and they caught it beautiful and brought it back into line. I hope I could do the same in mine.

Hi Pontoneer, Dont know why everyone rushes to sit in a roadblock that passes as a roundabout at the end of that particular road anyways!!!!!!!:crazy:

The weather has been really bad here over the last 48hrs (makes a change from all the sunshine).

2 accidents on the A82 yesterday and I saw an excercise in car control. Someones back end slid out and they caught it beautiful and brought it back into line. I hope I could do the same in mine.

Did you like my style Steve......:rock:

Not only that , but one of the traffic cops had to jump the barrier out of the way of a jack-knifing artic whose driver had failed to see four sets of blue lights , a dozen people in hi-viz gear and the Amber beacons of at least three civilian vehicles !

The artic wasn't delivering to these guys, was he?

specsavers_logo.jpg.png

Or as Bob Newhart experienced as the driving instructor....

http://trashcars.net/videos/223/bob-newhart-driving-instructor.html

"The light blinded you?" "The flashing light blinded you?" "The flashing light on the car you hit blinded you?"

Last edited:
The artic wasn't delivering to these guys, was he?

specsavers_logo.jpg.png

Who knows ? But it does sound like he needed to make an appointment as a customer !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom