Crashed my car - Think its a write off

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
sorry to to hear of your ordeal. Glad you are ok and feeling alot better today. Its times like these that you really take the time to value life and be so grateful, as its easy to ignore the important things as we are always bogged down in our daily hectic lives.

Sorry to be philosophical.

I think it's probably a write-off.

Try and 'un-mod' your car before the insurers get to see your car. If they can get out of a claim, they will.

Does the W202 have ESP? I don't know, but I suspect not, in which case it's a graphic demonstration of the usefullness of it (so long as it's not switched off).

But the most important thing is that no-one's hurt.

Glad you are okay. Sorry about the car.
Looking at the pics, the damage seems very much in the corner which may limit the bits behind which need to get replaced. Luckily there is some space between components designed into the W202 (as well I know too from past experience). The crazy thing is that with the cost of labour (employment laws, payroll taxes) and low car values (too many cars) these days, even small collisions can result in a write off. In Russia, this car would be repaired, no question.
Best of luck sorting it all out.
Les

Thanks for your comments guys!

jeremytaylor said:
Does the W202 have ESP? I don't know, but I suspect not, in which case it's a graphic demonstration of the usefullness of it (so long as it's not switched off).

Afraid not, its a pre-facelift

The car is at a garage at the mo, with the wheels still on.

As im off to Rome this afternoon I wont be able to de-mod it. - no way off getting to the garage as all my mates are in work :( before it gets viewed

The airbag never went off thank god, I do remember thinking 'oh shit my nose' heehehe

I had fitted a pair of Dunlops on the rears, as far as I know the threads were fine, although I have had trouble ever since I got them in the wet...

God help if someone was on the footpath, its scary to think about!

Will update you when I find out more

Last edited:
jeremytaylor said:
ASR/ESP are only of any use when under power as they are traction control devices designed to limit the power put down by the wheels. Driver aids do not help in this situation unless you floor the gas pedal, not always an instinctive move!

Shude said:
ASR/ESP are only of any use when under power as they are traction control devices designed to limit the power put down by the wheels. Driver aids do not help in this situation unless you floor the gas pedal, not always an instinctive move!

I respectfully disagree with you Shude. This website is worth reading. http://www.whnet.com/4x4/esp.html

Sorry to hear of your accident. Thankfully you walked away and hopefully your car will not be total lossed. I work in this industry and generally if the insurer suspects a vehicle to be beyond economical repair they total loss it straight away in order to prepare you for the worst. The airbags not activating is positive and my fingers are crossed that the car is repaired, unless of course that you want to treat yourself to a new one I shall uncross them for you.

Rose Chap said:
I respectfully disagree with you Shude. This website is worth reading. http://www.whnet.com/4x4/esp.html
That is probably the benefit of ESP over ASR, AFAIK ASR does nothing unless your foot is on the gas pedal, if you're lifted off I think you're on your own! I would love to try this but sadly last time it ended in a thread very similar to this one.

I've had a very clear demonstration of the benefits of ESP at MBs Stuttgart test track in a W211 E500. Rose Chap's link puts it into words.

To have it shown to you in the flesh is quite incredible. Throttle on it acts as traction control, throttle off the brakes are used to control skids. VERY clever, and fully vindicates MB's decison to have it as a standard fit to all models. They had a press release recently and they reckoned mandatory ESP to all cars would cut deaths by, IIRC 20 or 30%.

I remember being invited to drive the M Class when it was first launched, and was able to drive round in a perfect circle in a slippery field with a floored throttle with the ESP on.

With the ESP off however it spun out in a very lairy oversteer slide. Great fun in a field, completely rubbish if you're on a road in Cambridgeshire with brick walls either side.

Shude said:
That is probably the benefit of ESP over ASR, AFAIK ASR does nothing unless your foot is on the gas pedal, if you're lifted off I think you're on your own! I would love to try this but sadly last time it ended in a thread very similar to this one.

That's right, my experience of the two systems is -

ASR is only any use if you are on the power, AND the rears are slipping. It cannot detect an understeer condition. ASR does not know the front wheels exist, it can only reduce wheelspin using rear brakes and throttle

ESP chimes in if there is slippage, front or rear, power on or off. it can brake any individual wheel, and reduce the throttle. It can try and steer the car by braking diagonally. It has to be said, however, that it is not particularly effective at controlling slippage in power off or trailing throttle conditions. Hardly surprising really.

Sorry to hear about your accident. Its happened to most of us before, i wrote of my dad's E class in a similar situation apart from going into a ditch on my side!

Looks like its def write off. A bodyshop is going to want £3k+ for that repair.

I had similar damage, nowhere near as bad as yours on my C250 when a van collided with me and the total came to £3500. Bearing in mind there is suspension damage as well i would have to say its a 100% write off.:(

KLP 92 said:
Looks like its def write off. A bodyshop is going to want £3k+ for that repair.
I had similar damage, nowhere near as bad as yours on my C250 when a van collided with me and the total came to £3500. Bearing in mind there is suspension damage as well i would have to say its a 100% write off.:(
Regretfully have to agree its probably a write off. Depends on hidden possible damage to suspension and offside chassis leg/crash box ?? Still maybe better cash in hand than the car back on the road with a damaged repaired record on HPI if you came to sell later. Knocks the value a lot even if properly repaired:eek: Dont get stiffed on the initial valuation offered by your insurance company they always seem to offer low and will usually move a bit if you contest with evidence. Start looking for similar spec cars in Autotrader to get a feel for the market value. Good luck, hope you get a good settlement.

Last edited:
Glad you are OK.

kensalriser said:
Walking away is always good.

Damage looks like a good 1500, new wing, bonnet, headlight and bumper plus painting plus anything else that needs replacing...could be 2k.

Airbags ......... they will add another £500!

ouch ! glad your ok mate, thats what really matters.

However much we 'love' our motors they are just plastic and metal and thats what insurance is about.

Hope all turns out ok . . .

Real sorry to hear about this KillerHERTZ.

Why with the mention of "cursed" car parts am i reminded of James Dean and George Barris?

Well got a letter from the assessors this morning...

It is a write off :(

Will have to wait to see what the insurance company will offer me for it

Thmsshaun said:
You got your wheels and any other bits off it yet?

No afraid not, the letter asks me to call to arrange transport to a free sortage area.

I guess I need to do it before it goes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom