Crashed my Mercedes into a horse!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomtoms

Car
Mercedes E350 CDI 265
Hi guys. Since crashing my Merc ive got onto Ford (dont hate me please). My current car is a Mondeo ST TDCI but I can say with confidence the next car I buy will be another Merc because I miss mone. Now I currently dont own a Mercedes but I thought I would share my experience with some of you.

This happened on 20th September 2010 on the A1 in Yorkshire.
I was travelling back home with two of my mates at about 1 in the morning. Now as you can guess it was pitch black as there were no lights on this particular part.

Happily driving along with cruise control set to 70 I hit a dead horse without time to blink, break or steer. It was instant!!!
Car ramped into to air, hit the ground then strarted spinning down the motorway untill I hit the barrier and came to a stand still. Luckily nothing was behind me becuase I was facing the wrong way in the right hand lane.

I found out when we got out that 3 other cars where also crashed with one guy having to run away holding his kids from my car skidding towards him. Reason I didnt see any of them was because it was on a bend. 3 of the cars (including mine) landed on Wentbridge viaduct with a good 70m drop below while the other car had such a huge impact it stayed right round the bend.

5 out of the 15 horses which got out died all due to some guys steeling steel gates.

Out of everyone it was me who came out with the worse injury having a broken wrist that needed two lovely operations. I was 19 at the time and taking the long walk back to see my car (when the road had been shut down for 6 hours) it was horrible because I had spent time and money finding my finding my rare mille miglia wheels. You Merc fans should know what that is. If you dont then im shocked :p

Last edited:
Last one.
Please note the blood is the horses.

I dont intend to cause offense to anyone either. Just simply sharing my experience seen as it was in my well loved Mercedes

Last edited:
Sounds pretty horrible !!

A horse is a pretty solid thing to hit - I had a colleague that hit a cow some years ago at a significantly lower speed and it wrote off the car and he didn't survive - so a broken wrist was a fairly lucky escape I reckon at 70 mph.

Good to see that the Merc did what is should have done to protect you - makes you appreciate that you can have a collision for all sorts of reasons that are outside your control, no matter how careful you are.

I have owned many different cars prior to my recently acquired C class and there really isn't anything to touch the solidity and safety of the 3 pointed star - IMHO

Jees, grim viewing. I trust everyone was OK in the Hyundai.

S

Everyone else was fine. two people in the Hyundai and the injurys where a loose tooth and scratches on his hand.

The actually horse I hit was used for the Queens parade and to train celebs for films (not joking either). It actualy made it onto The Sun newspaper pictured with someone of the film Love Actually.

Ive been in two major accidents now. This one when I was driving and nothing I could do. Was a passanger in a clio which rolled 4 times breaking my friends back which was in 2008. Again this was an accident which annoys me because im a careful driver and so is the guy who rolled the clio with me in it.

hi sorry to hear about your accident i see you were 19 and driving a merc. who were you insured with and how much was it?

i am 19 and driving a Mercedes 190e and paying, i think tooo much for my insurance.

Hi and welcome :thumb:

Interesting first thread (not in a bad way). The outcome of the incident could have been far more serious, and glad it wasn't. None of my business, but curiosity makes me ask.. what prompted it!

Yeah, me too!

Why post this nearly two years after the accident?

Also why are you now driving a Mondeo after singing the praises of the Merc?

Hi and welcome :thumb:

Interesting first thread (not in a bad way). The outcome of the incident could have been far more serious, and glad it wasn't. None of my business, but curiosity makes me ask.. what prompted it!

Yeah, me too!

Why post this nearly two years after the accident?

Also why are you now driving a Mondeo after singing the praises of the Merc?

Why not post an interesting story involving a Merc by a guy who wants another Merc...problem?

Hmmm. I stay at the Wentbridge Hotel when I am working in Yorkshire. You crashed in a pretty looking bit of countryside.

Glad you are well.

My fury is reserved for the b*stds who let out the horses, leaving five of them to die in a horrible and terrifying way. Having said that, glad you were not seriously hurt as a consequence of their petty thieving...
As they say, cars dent, horses die...

hi sorry to hear about your accident i see you were 19 and driving a merc. who were you insured with and how much was it?

i am 19 and driving a Mercedes 190e and paying, i think tooo much for my insurance.

At the time I was on the parents insurance with protected NCB. Cost me about a grand

Why not post an interesting story involving a Merc by a guy who wants another Merc...problem?

Thanks pal. Im glad someone sees the reason behind it.

For the other members ....
Yes I have a Mondeo and ive been a forum member on a few sites a while now. Simply got a change of car because im young, fancy trying something new and im allowed. So i hope thats ok! :/

Like I said in my first post, I simply joined to show you Merc fans a very odd story about my Mercedes. If you read it you should understand why.
Like I say, im a member of 3 other Ford forums and NEVER had comments like that. Nice to know that some of you guys appreciate it. I wont bother from now.

To the ungreatful guys .... Sorry to waste all you time

Hey Tomtoms, sorry if my post came across as negative. Tried to word it in a way that it wouldnt. Was just an interesting (and good) opener! :thumb:

(Nothing wrong with Mondeos, had one for years :))

An interesting post, thanks for sharing.

I seem to recall an inicdent as a child when our neighbour ( he was the lineman for the railway) was called out in the night for a train crash which went through a load of horses that had escaped onto the railway. My dad took him up there as the neighbour did not drive.

If anyone knows the area ( Thorne to Goole) it was almost the same spot that a van full of gas board workers were hit . They were in the area converting to North sea gas and hit on a crossing.

Speaking of which Reg Morris used to have a picture of a SAAB that had been hit by a train and the occupants survived.

Sorry to be so morbid.

Last edited:
My fury is reserved for the b*stds who let out the horses, leaving five of them to die in a horrible and terrifying way. Having said that, glad you were not seriously hurt as a consequence of their petty thieving...
As they say, cars dent, horses die...

And people nearly were killed and could have been very seriously injured....

I'm more bothered about that than the horses.

TomToms, I wish you well for your hunt for a new Mercedes.

And people nearly were killed and could have been very seriously injured....

You are absolutely right - all because PEOPLE (some may describe them as scrotes) let them out in the first place...:dk:

You are absolutely right - all because PEOPLE (some may describe them as scrotes) let them out in the first place...:dk:

I like the use of your word scrote....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom