Crazy Laptop Keyboard.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ringway

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2017 Audi RS6 Avant Performance Edition. Range Rover Supercharged - Lovely!
I'm pulling my hair out!

The keyboard on my Toshiba laptop has developed a fault.

When typing the cursor will jump to a previous paragraph and insert text there. Also I seem to be getting the occasional "missd lettr" resulting in numerous typo's.

The strange thing about this is, I feel it is most certainly virus or software related, because my previous HP laptop developed the same fault. :crazy:

Any help much appreciated. :thumb:

My 'n' key occasionally gets stuck causing random things.

Try cleaning out the keyboard; turn it upside down blow/vacuum.

Hope this helps !

Ringway

Check that you are not catching the mouse pad with you hands, cuffs etc. If you are using an external mouse then see if you can disable the mouse pad.

If you look carefully it if leaping back to where the mouse is positioned i.e. it's actually a suprious mouse click.

My work Lenovo does exactly that - I use it on a docking station most of the time with a proper keyboard/mouse and all is fine then. Just taking notes during meetings, camping on other peoples (without docking) and at home I notice the problem.

I have wondered if my fingers brush the mouse pad when typing, or the joystick button in the middle of the keys.

I'm pulling my hair out!

When typing the cursor will jump to a previous paragraph and insert text there. Also I seem to be getting the occasional "missd lettr" resulting in numerous typo's.

The strange thing about this is, I feel it is most certainly virus or software related, because my previous HP laptop developed the same fault. :crazy:

Similar to problems I had recently with my Dell Laptop which turned out to be software/virus related.
Dell suggested that I return / reset to factory settings after taking copies of my music,letters,photos etc.This I did and now all is fine and I no longer visit dodgy sites.
Happy Motoring
Regards
John
This solved the problem.Have now installed Norton (formerly Mc afee )

I'm pulling my hair out!

Sounds like you have some nasty keylogger software on board.:(
try Malwarebytes to see if that will get rid?

Sounds like you have some nasty keylogger software on board.:(
try Malwarebytes to see if that will get rid?

Thanks Graeme.

It does tend to happen mostly when I'm typing near the tab key (without touching the tab key though).

I'll try Malwarebytes. :thumb:

Are you running Windows 7 by any chance?

A Dell laptop of mine behaves in the exact same way and in my case it is due to there not being proper Windows 7 drivers available. It's definitely not a key logger! lol :)

If you are not running Windows 7, it's still worth seeing if you have all the lastest drivers installed for your tosh.

Other possibility I suppose could be a dodgy keyboard ribbon connector. Most keyboards have these ZIF [zero insertion force] connectors where the ribbon connector is basically wedged into contact with its socket connections.Its neat but I always have a suspicion they are vulnerable to vibration? If tpwuk is correct about win7 drivers then there should be quite a lot of feedback on Toshiba laptop owner forums/user groups about this if its a universal rather than an individual type of fault.

The reason for my post was that I had the same (similar) issue on my old Tosh. I disabled the mouse pad and it stopped. I was using a LogiTec wireless mouse and was starting to think that may have been the problem. But the mouse pad thing worked for me.

Similar to problems I had recently with my Dell Laptop which turned out to be software/virus related.
Dell suggested that I return / reset to factory settings after taking copies of my music,letters,photos etc.
Could have been driver related as well - return to factory setting (standard support desk offered solution for pretty much anything) may have also affected that.

This I did and now all is fine and I no longer visit dodgy sites.
But you're here :devil::D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom