Crazy or worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gollom

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
I was pondering buying a W209 CLK convertible and fettling it for a weekend car, I have space to keep it off road, could probably turn my hand to interiors etc. and for oily bits my indie is MB trained and is a friend. I know of a 2006 CLK350 (under £3K) on 80K yesterday with FSH which is Cat N (non structural) and needs a new drivers door (no airbags were deployed). Timing chain replaced at 66K, MOT till Feb 2022. Isn't the 350 the bulletproof engine?

Off my head or worth thinking about?

I was pondering buying a W209 CLK convertible and fettling it for a weekend car, I have space to keep it off road, could probably turn my hand to interiors etc. and for oily bits my indie is MB trained and is a friend. I know of a 2006 CLK350 (under £3K) on 80K yesterday with FSH which is Cat N (non structural) and needs a new drivers door (no airbags were deployed). Timing chain replaced at 66K, MOT till Feb 2022. Isn't the 350 the bulletproof engine?

Off my head or worth thinking about?
M272 potential balance shaft issues for some engines.

Engine is m272 and serial is 272960 30 395081
“M272 engines that were sold between 2004[1][2] and 2008 with engine serial numbers below 2729..30 468993 often show early wear of the balance shaft gears, requiring extensive repairs at a retail cost of over $4000.”

So that looks to be in the range for potential problems I guess.

“M272 engines that were sold between 2004[1][2] and 2008 with engine serial numbers below 2729..30 468993 often show early wear of the balance shaft gears, requiring extensive repairs at a retail cost of over $4000.”

So that looks to be in the range for potential problems I guess.
Cheers - the balance shaft had been looked at whilst transmission was separated when the chain was changed (got the receipt) Not a guarantee I know

Not ALL the balance shafts fail ...

I must admit that CLK doesn’t sound particularly cheap tbh - you'd find a better one for £3k I reckon.

Not ALL the balance shafts fail ...

I must admit that CLK doesn’t sound particularly cheap tbh - you'd find a better one for £3k I reckon.
Really appreciated. What in your opinion is a reasonable price? I'd offer £2.5K anyway

Pic of door damage - can see that some of the adjacent panels will need some sorting too. Can see replacement for (right colour) on eBay for £100. Comments appreciated - any thoughts on what it would cost ballpark to get door fitted and adjacent panels sorted please? I'd remove door card, switches etc. Many thanks as always. Also thoughts on what a reasonable price would be. The fact it has an MOT with no advisories till Feb 22 is encouraging (guy who is selling it says he drives a 300SL.....)

W209.jpg

You could save a huge amount if you swap the door and all its internals over yourself. Did the doors airbag trigger?

There definitely isnt any frame/shell damage?

You could save a huge amount if you swap the door and all its internals over yourself. Did the doors airbag trigger?

There definitely isnt any frame/shell damage?

I could probably do that - just might be the odd question on here though! LOL

No airbags triggered and he assures me that there is no frame/shell damage - it's a trader with very, very good reviews. Says will put it in writing..

The car is his and damage was done while he had it

(That URL isnt my postcode)

If you could get this for £4000/4200 it wouldnt be a Cat N, it has the sports trim/AMG kit (which transform the W209) aswell as great wheels and COMAND.

Id imagine the cost of getting a door, swapping all the trim over, fixing the rear quarter and respraying it plus the door will be more than £4500 anyway and then you are always stuck with an Cat N.

Pic of door damage - can see that some of the adjacent panels will need some sorting too. Can see replacement for (right colour) on eBay for £100. Comments appreciated - any thoughts on what it would cost ballpark to get door fitted and adjacent panels sorted please? I'd remove door card, switches etc. Many thanks as always. Also thoughts on what a reasonable price would be. The fact it has an MOT with no advisories till Feb 22 is encouraging (guy who is selling it says he drives a 300SL.....)

View attachment 109433
I believe rotting rear subframe can be an issue as well buddy

I would be careful with an accident damaged car. It is not unknown for people to hide damaged areas such as suspension / underbody and leave the easy visible damage to make a buyer think it is just an easy replacement panel needed. If the seller has received an insurance payout and then bought the car back to fix then you need to ask the question why have you decided not to fix it? Only really worth it if the car in question is very cheap.

I agree, if it was £1k then yes, otherwise no. Far better out there for the same overall money with no hidden issues.

Thanks for all the advice - unless I can get it for £1K or so I'll not bother. Have seen an CLK240 (04) at 94K for £2.7K that may be worth looking at. However, it's in Mansfield so will post separately to see if any members live there who'd be prepared to give it a general look over for me

This is the best forum!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom