crazy speed for a space saver?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trainer

MB Enthusiast
Car
C32 AMG - Sold October 2013
I was travelling along the M6 toll today closing up on the back end of a volvo saloon at 75mph - honest. As I got within 200 yards I noticed that the offside rear wheel was a space saver. I decided I would rather be in front than behind and overtook.

As far as I am aware a space saver is rated to 50mph and even then only for short distances. If that is the case then surely travelling at 75 in a large saloon on a space saver was risking his life and those around him.

I have seen people doing equally stupid things almost every day .

Woman on the M25 driving a BMW 5 Series was doing 85mph at least with one on the rear. I did my best to overtake but she was staying in the BMW lane under all circumstances.

Stupid bint.

Some years ago there was a fatal incident arising from an idiot giving his son a not very wonderful Porsche 944 for his birthday, complete with space saver tyre fitted.

Son want to try out his new toy. You can work out the rest.

(BTW, current generation space saver tyres have to be rated to 130kmph under EU Standards. However, another set of EU rules prohibits any space saver tyre being driven at more than 80kmph. In my view at least they are all bad idea though)

Should be :ban:ed IMHO. I don't see why car manufacturers can't be forced to fit a reasonable size spare anyway. When you look in most spare wheel storage on a car it's packed out to fill the space. They could at least fit a reasonable size steel wheel. I think I'll see if I can get the 17" alloy/winter tyre in mine come the summer, it's got to be a better option than a space saver especially for the trip down to the Vendee.:) I know it won't be as grippy as the summer Conti's on the 18's but it would only have to get me to a tyre shop at least it would be capable of over 50. Just careful, smooth driving if it was needed to be used.

Should be :ban:ed IMHO. I don't see why car manufacturers can't be forced to fit a reasonable size spare anyway. When you look in most spare wheel storage on a car it's packed out to fill the space. They could at least fit a reasonable size steel wheel.

It should be called a weight saver, that's why they use them not to save space. Or they leave it out altogether & give you a can of sealant to save even more weight.

Russ

It should be called a weight saver, that's why they use them not to save space. Or they leave it out altogether & give you a can of sealant to save even more weight.

Russ

Which only lasts a limited amount of time, is speed restricted too, buggers your tyre up, therefore necessitating a new tyre anyway. Just give me a full size one to change and get the other repaired if possible anyday!;)

Woman on the M25 driving a BMW 5 Series was doing 85mph at least with one on the rear. I did my best to overtake but she was staying in the BMW lane under all circumstances.

Stupid bint.

I first saw this woman about 3 weeks ago, guess who I saw this morning still with the space saver!

Either she is having real bad luck with that rear tyre or she has the brain of a newt.

Oh and she was still in the BMW lane! Surely this is someone's wife/gf/mistress/partner as she isn't exactly ugly, or even the people she works with must be able to have a word.

S

Don't the police intervene in such circumstances? Never around when they could be useful....

I first saw this woman about 3 weeks ago, guess who I saw this morning still with the space saver!

Either she is having real bad luck with that rear tyre or she has the brain of a newt.

Oh and she was still in the BMW lane! Surely this is someone's wife/gf/mistress/partner as she isn't exactly ugly, or even the people she works with must be able to have a word.

S

I think Charles Darwin had a theory about the likely outcome of this story. Sadly, she is also likely to take someone with her. :(

S

As she's "Not exactly ugly" why don't you interveen? Bit of 'private tuition' may be appreciated :devil:

S

Maybe they don't like her and are waiting for it to go pop at speed..:confused:

Don't the police intervene in such circumstances? Never around when they could be useful....

Well there's going to be even fewer of us so dont hold your breath.

However, if I'm behind a vehicle in excess of the posted and with a speed rated space saver, he'll go in the book 'ie will get a summons for court instead of ticket', for without due care.

Useful enough for you?:rolleyes:

Thy are far too busy browsing internet forums:rolleyes:;)

Having driven with a space saver on the front, you wouldnt want to go above 50mph does all sorts to the steering and balance of the car.

Ideal to limp to a tyre shop but not for motorway driving, Darwin theory, at its finest.

Also if the space saver is on the axel of the driven wheels it will overheat the diff as the tyre size is smaller than the regular and has to spin one side constantly faster than the other. Just sheer lunacy driving that fast on a space saver!

As she's "Not exactly ugly" why don't you interveen? Bit of 'private tuition' may be appreciated :devil:

I've burned before, saw a lovely young lady in a tennis skirt and an old lady easily of 70 trying to take a rolled up rug into a Kensington town house. I gladly offered to help to only find they had a van of 20 of them to unload. I was wheezing and broken while the tennis woman was leaving me for dust!

The old woman seemed quite smug though.....

This BMW woman could have a body in the boot, or be a pyscho-hose-beast!

Thy are far too busy browsing internet forums:rolleyes:;)

^^ LOL:D

Im nights till Monday steve333, so I while away the spare hours reading about folks having problems with their inferior brand German cars, never see any problems on BMW forums;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom