Crazy W124 electrical gremlins

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by ms500, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ms500

ms500 Banned

I noticed the strangest thing while driving the 300TE the other day:

Every time I pressed the brake pedal; the fuel, temperature, and oil pressure gauges all dropped down to zero as if the ignition had been swiched off, and the seatbelt reminder light started flashing even though I was wearing my seatbelt at the time.

As soon as I released my foot off the brake pedal, the gauges all came back to life instantly :crazy: Then when I pressed the pedal again, the same thing happened.

This happened a few times then went away, and the problem only comes back occasionally. The rest of the car continues to operate normally.

Could this be a faulty relay or something?

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    Sounds as if you have an intermittant direct short to earth in the brake light circuit somewhere which is pulling the voltage to the instruments down- in effect switching them off. Time to have a look at your wiring. Maybe a water leak into one of your rear lamp clusters

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  3. Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    1995 E300D
    Check the connections of fuse 5 - in fact give all of your fuses a spin in their holders.