Crazy world of used cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Those august Gentlemen "Smith and Sniff" quoted a good story about WBAC today

A Mum decided to buy a new MINI recently, trading in her old MINI

The MiNI dealer offered her £9,500.

WBAC bought it from her for £13,000

Cinch then offered it for sale at £15,500 one week later.

Now, any dealer needs to make a mark up, and first price advertised doesn't mean it will be achieved

But it does sound like there's a wall of money out there.

Screenshot 2021-09-20 at 20.14.26.png

Last edited:
I took the view in May that the used market was strong so I sold up and placed an order for new car, I’ll let you know how that pans out as used prices are still strong but new prices are the same.

As an aside, I bought the Mrs a new SUV in May and that is now valued at more than I paid by the dealer who sold it to me!

For the first time, I'm considering letting the E63 go and buying a cheap beater to run for a year or so and letting these mad prices settle, then stepping into W213 E63.
When Motorway are offering over £2k more than I paid 2 years ago it would foolish not to even think about it.

The problem though is that I have a low mileage car with the spec and interior colour I like. It will be a real wrench to move it on.

For the first time, I'm considering letting the E63 go and buying a cheap beater to run for a year or so and letting these mad prices settle, then stepping into W213 E63.
When Motorway are offering over £2k more than I paid 2 years ago it would foolish not to even think about it.

The problem though is that I have a low mileage car with the spec and interior colour I like. It will be a real wrench to move it on.
Weirdly I've been seriously considering this as well, even though my E63 was a keeper! Though I'd want to sell privately to make more on it (£7-8k maybe?) and that could still take a while. I love it so should probably keep it, but I could still get a fairly rapid car (probably either an older supercharged V8 from MB or Jag) and some decent change... and keep various others for dogs/ other duties. Conundrum.

Hi , it's only a matter of time before pre owned car prices collapse !
I can’t see the increase continuing, but I also can’t see the used car market plummeting, particularly while new vehicle production remains such a challenge and is expected to remain that way for another 18 months.

Some of the price changes I’ve seen at work have been mind blowing. People bringing cars back after 2 years and selling for more than they paid. A lady recently who’s had a new GLC for 3 1/2 years and it’s cost her a grand total of £4,000!

I saw a Suzuki Alto for sale locally last week, which I sold brand new for £5,999 back in 2013. It sold over the weekend for £4,000. That’s £250 a year or £21 a month in depreciation!

Spurred on by this thread, I just popped the details of our 6-year-old Yaris Hybrid run-about into WBAC and it came back with a value 5% (almost £500) above what we paid for it. 4 years ago!

Don't rule all Frenchies out, just dull hybrid ones! haha
Maybe so. Though I can't think of one that excites me... any i should check out?!
I actually get much better mpg from my old petrol Honda than that diesel hybrid 🙄

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your opinion we pretty much got the very last one in the country and there is at least a 6 month waiting list til the new model hits ???
Yeah kinda guessed that would be the case!

Many of the RenaultSport models since about 2000 will put a smile on your face. Not all the most refined but some of the best hot hatches around. A fast Clio is usually a safe bet. :)
Yes, true. I was always slightly tempted by the R26R, but just couldn't get the looks!
And some of the ridiculous clios would definitely be fun. I forgot about these!
Although they go for a lot of money now, the 182s, Williams, V6s.

B

Be very careful with the 213 Rog. It’s definitely not the 212 in terms of comfort and every day drivability. I didn’t like it or it would parked outside right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom