Crazy world of used cars.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WBAC valuation on the F-Type that I sold back in May is still up on my sale price but reduced by £2600 in the last month.
Coupe or drophead? If the latter it could just be the usual seasonal softening of prices?

Coupe or drophead? If the latter it could just be the usual seasonal softening of prices?
Coupe.

Should be unaffected seasonally. It has been steadily rising for 5 months, however, my mate's M4 dropped a couple of months ago and has since recovered.

Currently have a 2017 BMW 435D with circa £10k of optional extras which I bought at the beginning of the year, bit of a unicorn really and one I didn't mind buying at the time. My annual mileage, like most others has dropped massively (from circa 30k to 6k) so i've been giving some thought to selling the BMW for a C or E class hybrid estate. The offers i've had so far are ridiculous in the sense that i'm going to make money on a car :)

Currently have a 2017 BMW 435D with circa £10k of optional extras which I bought at the beginning of the year, bit of a unicorn really and one I didn't mind buying at the time. My annual mileage, like most others has dropped massively (from circa 30k to 6k) so i've been giving some thought to selling the BMW for a C or E class hybrid estate. The offers i've had so far are ridiculous in the sense that i'm going to make money on a car :)
But maybe the replacement will have increased in value by a similar amount?

I imagine only those with an excess car (or two) will bag some extra cash.

But maybe the replacement will have increased in value by a similar amount?

I imagine only those with an excess car (or two) will bag some extra cash.
These high prices are only going to benefit owners who are either downgrading to a less expensive car or have excess cars to sell.

Car trader trying to cash in?

Why do WBAC not want a car being sold by a dealer (if he is one) anyway? Surely all that matters is getting a car at a price which they believe will enable them to make a profit?

Apologies if I’m going to make the same point as two others, but… I think I’m asking a more grounded question

Do you have any idea how much extra you’ll have to pay for your target Hybrid estate compared to what you would have had to pay for it nine months ago, had you bought it then?

So do you “feel” that the increased price of the replacement has simply been offset in increased value of your 435d ?

The unicorn element of your car is interesting because a price guides often under value rare high spec cars, all those extras “can” be in demand, if you find the right buyer, but it’s not the “cinch” that some imagine. Tanzanite could be a deal maker, but not darkened glass or white leather, for example.

Last edited:
From the BBC's business section yesterday:

"Global vehicle production has been hit by a shortage of microchips. Now that every new car is practically a computer on wheels, semiconductor chips are essential to keeping those production lines running. But during the coronavirus pandemic, carmakers shut down, so microchip manufacturers diverted the chips that would normally go into those cars to the consumer electronics market.

With fewer new cars for sale, sought-after second-hand motors have shot up in price. And car industry figures say the supply crisis is unlikely to end soon. Earlier this month, Ola Källenius, the head of Germany's Daimler and Mercedes-Benz, told the BBC that the chip shortage could continue into 2022 and even 2023."

From the BBC's business section yesterday:

"Global vehicle production has been hit by a shortage of microchips. Now that every new car is practically a computer on wheels, semiconductor chips are essential to keeping those production lines running. But during the coronavirus pandemic, carmakers shut down, so microchip manufacturers diverted the chips that would normally go into those cars to the consumer electronics market.

With fewer new cars for sale, sought-after second-hand motors have shot up in price. And car industry figures say the supply crisis is unlikely to end soon. Earlier this month, Ola Källenius, the head of Germany's Daimler and Mercedes-Benz, told the BBC that the chip shortage could continue into 2022 and even 2023."
Plenty of time for people to offload cars they don't need then? So long as theyy don't want a replacement!

Hmmmmmmm.

The local Kia garage have just emailed me, they have found a car on a boat or something ? £25.5k carwow price including £2.5k deposit contribution from kia

We bought one 2 weeks ago from a different dealer, £25.5k also including £2.5k deposit contribution from kia.

The current motorway used price for 71 plate with less than 500 miles is £28.5k !!!!!!!

Now should I sell her car at £28.5k , pay off the finance and hope that Kia will give me another £2.5k deposit contribution, buy the other car and pocket the 3 large ????? :) :) :)

Yes. My B-I-L did this a couple of years ago, and swapped his two-year-old C'eed for a brand new one, but it cost him £800; if you're making a profit, go for it.

Hmmmmmmm.

The local Kia garage have just emailed me, they have found a car on a boat or something ? £25.5k carwow price including £2.5k deposit contribution from kia

We bought one 2 weeks ago from a different dealer, £25.5k also including £2.5k deposit contribution from kia.

The current motorway used price for 71 plate with less than 500 miles is £28.5k !!!!!!!

Now should I sell her car at £28.5k , pay off the finance and hope that Kia will give me another £2.5k deposit contribution, buy the other car and pocket the 3 large ????? :) :) :)
Defo.

Hmmmmmmm.

If that price from Motorway is guaranteed and there's no penalty from the finance co for early repayment, it seems a no brainer🤔

Hmmmmm. The dealer is not filling me with confidence that the car actually exists :(

We will see .......

My 2003 CL600 biturbo with 67,000 miles and fsh is, according to WBAC, worth the princely sum of ........

...... £3295. Subject to inspection, of course. 🤣

Guess I'll be keeping it a while longer. 😃

My 2003 CL600 biturbo with 67,000 miles and fsh is, according to WBAC, worth the princely sum of ........

...... £3295. Subject to inspection, of course. 🤣

Guess I'll be keeping it a while longer. 😃
Do WBAC cover France?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom