Creaking Dash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

altreed

Car
c36 AMG, z3 2.8, BMW 330D Touring.... Bike: Yamaha T/cat 600, Z1r {gxsr1100 mota}, CR500 Aii
Does anyone else suffer from a 'plastic creak' whilst driving about in their W202?

As I drive about cornering the dash creaks like the Marie Celeste. More so in hot weather, but the noise is annoying.

Has anyone taken action on teir car to overcome this type of problem. If so, how did they do it?

Thanks

Oh yes and how annoying it can be.I to suffered and even sold a brand new car after only 1 year cus of creaking noise's.Anyway back to the question. yes I had creaking noise's on my w202 this came from the door cards and around the insrument cluster.Ive cured the door cards by taking them off and putting gaffer tape all round the edge on the inside where there is plastic in contact with the metal of the door then trimmed off any excess that was visable when the door card was put back on.I suppose the same could be applied to the insrument cluster but I haven't done that yet,it's not that bad.:crazy:

I did have a metallic rattle from the passenger door, took the door card off and there was a loose screw in the bottom of the door.

My passenger seat sqeaks at times and there is an annoying noise from the rear, I think that is the luggage cover/blind.

Until last night I had a very annoying mettalic vibrating noise from under the car during hard acceleration, it was one of the heat shields around the exhaust that was rubbing the underneath of the car.

It sometimes helps to slacken off screws and retighten them, the ones that fix the dash etc.

No Creaks in the C Class but the A Class is a totally different story!

Originally posted by altreed
Has anyone taken action on teir car to overcome this type of problem. If so, how did they do it?

Turn the radio up :D

No creaks.

the w202 ash panel where the hazzerd switch is known to rattle if you only got 3 buttons including the hazzerd switch.... also the seat is known to click on later w202's.....

Thanks,

I shall look into these areas and try to 'quieten the beast down'!

I have noticed that the seat belt clip rubs against the piping on the squabb of the seat, that makes a bl**dy annoying noise. I really must attend to that as well.

Enjoy your star.

:D

rattles

My c180k w203 (only done 3500 miles) has now been in 4 times for rattles.

Rattle from behind center console seens to have gone BUT:

When i am on a rough ish road I get some funny vibration noise (not too loud but audible at all speeds. Is this normal for a new car? 04 reg

Steve

I have never had a car that doesnt rattle in some way or another, the C320 included. Mine rattles around the centre console, although strategic positioniong of small pieces of card have removed it. Oh and the rear view mirror rattle as well. Drives me crazy. One day I will take it apart and find out what is causing it.

hate to say it, but my bmw 3 series which i had for 4 years from new never rattled.... apart from right at the end and then i sold it because i hate rattles!!

I have a annoying creak from my dash. It seems to come from the left hand side of my dash near the crack/seem you can see in the pic, near the ash tray. If i give the upper part of the console, above the crack/seem a firm push it seems to cure it for a day or so.
It may even be coming from where the electric window switch is :confused:

Anybody else with one from this area or any idea on a fix ??

Attachments

• dash.jpg
    dash.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 218
I've had this creak before as well but its easily fixable. At the side bit of plastic you can see in your photo a line where the dash meets the gearbox tunnel. Inside and about a inch or two lower than that line is the screws that hold it altogether. To get to the screws to tighten them you need to remove the gear shift trim, then the carbon trim with the window switches cut out of it, then the coin tray at the end. I cant remember if you can tighten the screws from here or not but if you cant you then need to remove the screws on the upper edge of the sunglasses tray and remove the sunglasses tray and the ashtray, then you can definately get to them. I will go and see if Ive got a photo of the bits dismantled!

Good news you dont need to remove the ashtray and sunglasses. Edit: dont forget to tighten both sides while youve got it apart!

Last edited:
How does the gear shift trim and carbon trim come off ?? Just lift/pull off does it ?

EDIT - Just got it off - just prised/pulled off, The screws seemed fairly tight though, got a little turn on them, Have to see how it goes.

Thanks for that R2D2 ;)

Last edited:
Gently lever the gear surround up and try to pull it up evenly so that no one part is under too much pressure. The carbon/wood trim is very expensive so treat gently. It just gently pulls up being also only held by friction. Watch your wiring underneath!

Gently does it, let us know how you get on.

Robbo said:
I have never had a car that doesnt rattle in some way or another, the C320 included. Mine rattles around the centre console, although strategic positioniong of small pieces of card have removed it. Oh and the rear view mirror rattle as well. Drives me crazy. One day I will take it apart and find out what is causing it.

Gently cup both hands around the rear view mirror and gently push the whole light unit towards the ceiling.

R2D2 said:
Gently lever the gear surround up and try to pull it up evenly so that no one part is under too much pressure. The carbon/wood trim is very expensive so treat gently. It just gently pulls up being also only held by friction. Watch your wiring underneath!

Gently does it, let us know how you get on.

Just got it off - just prised/pulled off, The screws seemed fairly tight though, got a little turn on them, Have to see how it goes.

EDIT - Just been for a little drive and all is quiet :D

Thanks for that R2D2 ;)

Last edited:
W124, 122K miles, not one rattle :)

ChrisH said:
W124, 122K miles, not one rattle :)

Nice car in the gallery! Well done. :bannana:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom