Cream on the oil cap!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

will lam

Car
jeep grand cherokee
Earlier today I took my oil cap off and notice small amount of cream on the cap and a little on the opening. Is that sign of head gasket or condensation. My car is a clk 240 with 102k. Temperature is normal around 90/100

Most likely just condensation which is normal this time of year. If you do a lot of short journeys try and take it for an Italian tune up once a week :)

Yep mild temperatures and short journeys just a touch of condensation emulsifying the oil in contact with air. Just check the coolant has no oil in it to put your mind at rest

Most likely just condensation which is normal this time of year. If you do a lot of short journeys try and take it for an Italian tune up once a week :)

I do around 6/7miles per day only to work and back

How do you know if oils in the coolant thanks

Maybe it's the head gasket

Maybe it's short journeys

Maybe the mechanic dropped a cake on it at the last service

Who knows

How do you know if oils in the coolant thanks
Oil floats on water so would settle on the surface in the header tank/there'd be cream/mayonnaise instead of clean coolant in it

6 - 7 miles, especially if it's in rush hour stop/start traffic, isn't long enough to get everything properly up to temperature let along stay at temp long enough for condensation to evaporate etc. Some engine designs are more prone to mayonnaise from condensation, things like a separate oil filler tube instead of a cap directly into the rocker cover for example. Even old aircooled VW Beetles can be prone to this in cold weather if used for short trips

If the headgasket or some other seal/gasket had gone between oil and waterways then oil in the coolant is more common than water in the oil as the oil pressure is a chunk higher than the coolant pressure. It's the short journeys

Oil floats on water so would settle on the surface in the header tank/there'd be cream/mayonnaise instead of clean coolant in it

6 - 7 miles, especially if it's in rush hour stop/start traffic, isn't long enough to get everything properly up to temperature let along stay at temp long enough for condensation to evaporate etc. Some engine designs are more prone to mayonnaise from condensation, things like a separate oil filler tube instead of a cap directly into the rocker cover for example. Even old aircooled VW Beetles can be prone to this in cold weather if used for short trips

If the headgasket or some other seal/gasket had gone between oil and waterways then oil in the coolant is more common than water in the oil as the oil pressure is a chunk higher than the coolant pressure. It's the short journeys

Thank you it seems all clear in the coolant

A small amount of cream is normal as others have mentioned with this time of year and short journeys. Assuming yours is a M112 engine head gasket failure is not very common as there very strong engines, however due to the design of the breather chambers on top of the valve covers which the plastic oil cap riser sits on I have seen a little bit of cream to collect there and show on the bottom of the oil cap. To put your mind at ease take both the cap and riser off and thoroughly clean them. Then check there are no signs of oil in the coolant. Make sure the oil level is correct and take the car for a good high speed (within legal limits of course) motorway drive. This should clear any condensation and hopefully prove to your car has not got a blown head gasket.

Had this on our w208 320. No probs after a little Italian tune up.

What is the riser? Although I can't see oil in the coolant the coolant seems orangy browny colour is that normal? As in June I had a replacement gearbox in aswel as a new radiator etc

^^^ Yep.

As said, take it for a good run, long enough to get the temperature up to the optimum. (At least 80º, but 90º is the optimum). If it doesn't attain this temperature it could be that the thermostat needs replacing and that could be part of the problem of mayo/cream.

What is the riser? Although I can't see oil in the coolant the coolant seems orangy browny colour is that normal? As in June I had a replacement gearbox in aswel as a new radiator etc

Its the plastic piece which the oil cap sits on. If the coolant had gone that colour its possible someone has used the wrong coolant in the past or possible corrosion in the system. Drain it from the bottom of the radiator and flush it through the resovoir with a hose till its clear out the bottom. OE MB blue coolant is cheap anyways and mix it with water job done :thumb:

I do around 6/7miles per day only to work and back
If that's all you travel to work & back, then you really should get yourself a bicycle FFS.
You'll feel better, live longer, probably get to work & back quicker & have more money to spend on your Merc'.
(Oh, and it will resolve the condensation issue too)

The oil doesn't have to be at 100 Deg C for water to evaporate off it just happens quicker when it is that hot. What I do after a short commute in the winter is lift the bonnet in the garage and remove the oil filler cap for a hour or so while the engine cools down. It allows the oil to breath and will help reduce condensation. I do the same on my motorcycle only it's much easier as there is no bonnet to lift.

If you do this regularly and there is still mayonnaise then it may not be just the short journeys.

Its the plastic piece which the oil cap sits on. If the coolant had gone that colour its possible someone has used the wrong coolant in the past or possible corrosion in the system. Drain it from the bottom of the radiator and flush it through the resovoir with a hose till its clear out the bottom. OE MB blue coolant is cheap anyways and mix it with water job done :thumb:

Thank you. Does the riser come off if so how? Thanks

Thank you. Does the riser come off if so how? Thanks

Yes if you pull it up gently and twist you will note there a plastic part that needs to lift over the metal. It has a oil cap kind of mechanism to it.

The initial issue you refer to is pretty common issue on these engines:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m112+oil+cap

Some have mentioned removing, cleaning and un unblocking the valve cover breather chambers and replacing the breather hoses can help to reduce this problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom