Creating Personal POIs using Google My Maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

malbry

Hi again folks,

Here's another one of my little freeware utilities for getting more from your Comand system. This time it is for creating Personal POIs using Google My Maps.

As you already know, it's possible to create Personal POIs which can be stored on an SD card which is then inserted into the Comand system. You can find online sources for some POIs such as speed cameras, as discussed in other forum threads. Alternatively you can create your own Personal POIs directly on the Comand system but this is very slow and cumbersome.

What's missing is an easy way to create your own POI categories with the convenience of a desktop/laptop computer and import them into the Comand system. This could be anything from UK football stadiums, to 'scenic places to visit at the weekend', to home addresses of distant relatives, to 'addresses of BMW dealerships' (just joking!).

It turns out that Google My Maps provides a very convenient and quick way to create Personal POIs. You can search for any POI and Google will not only find the location on a map but in most cases will also show the exact address and phone number. Once you've saved your POIs in Google My Maps, then this utility program will convert them into a GPX file which is in a suitable format for the Comand. The POIs will show in a new category on the Comand system. You can create as many POIs in as many categories as you wish.

The program plus detailed documentation, which includes a step-by-step guide to using Google My Maps, can be found here:

http://www.freepoc.org/download/MyMaps100.zip

I hope you find the program useful.

Regards,
Malcolm

When I said 'UK football stadiums' in the post above it was the first thing that popped into my head. After writing the post, I thought I should test that out. So I started with a list of the English and Scottish Premier League clubs and put each one into Google My Maps. Fifteen minutes or so later I had all 32 locations, addresses and phone numbers nicely stored in Google My Maps and I had the gpx file imported into my Comand system. For any UK forum members who are interested in football, see here:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zBhmnBnJLz2I.k2v-nGdoo0Tw&usp=sharing

And if you want the same info in your Comand system, here is a copy of the gpx file I made:

http://www.freepoc.org/download/test/UK_football_stadiums.gpx

Simply copy this file to a folder named 'PersonalPOI' on your SD card and place in the Comand system.

Regards,
Malcolm

I downloaded the program and created a gpx file. I put the gpx file on an SD and put it into the car, but it doesn't show up under personal poi.

I also have music on the SD. Does that matter? It's a 2014 S212 with MB apps, so I think it's ntg 4.5 at least.

Itn converter can convert to a lot of different file types. You can use a map feature to plot your route.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom