Credit Card account passwords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeL

Car
Audi A4 3.0 TDI
Credit Card Account Passwords:

So there I am trying to buy a lawn mower, card company (well clearing house in this instance) wants to speak to me……

Confirm date of birth, then get asked for password, haven’t a clue, what password? The one set up when account opened, about three years ago, password never used since. I know for a fact that I would have fought requiring a password for precisely the reason in question, I can’t remember it! Any way the clearing house let me have three guesses, very security conscious, I stumble on an old favourite. Problem is they asked for first and last letter, two of the words share same first & last letter, so I still don’t know what the precise password is.

Get home – credit card company have called, won’t speak to wife so I have to call them:

Anti-fraud department – they check on a few details etc. I try to get password removed, am told that this is “illegal” their words not mine. I asked what would happen if for instance I was abroad and couldn’t remember password, to be informed it is my responsibility to remember it – I complained that I don’t want said password. The card company also said that all card companies require passwords – not true I know of at least three that don’t. (MBNA, AMEX & Virgin)

Any way I didn’t swear or shout at them and when I asked to speak to a supervisor she informed me she had been listening in for the last part of the call, so I must have done something right.

Don’t get me wrong security is fine, however if it becomes so embroiled in red tape what use is it? My only choice is to have the same password for all cards or write it down somewhere, the wretched clearing house cleared the transaction based on one of two passwords, security indeed.

Got to stick with them to get my cashback, damn. :(

Morgan Stanley bless your cotton socks.

I got a bankers draught the other day - they asked for my password to which I replied what password!

EDIT: typos!

Last edited:
GrahamC230K said:
I got a bankers draught they other day - they asked for my password to which I replied what password!

Graham, Thank You.

At least I know it is not just me :)

Mike

So... you get a call out of the blue and a stranger asks for your banking information and your password?

If you did know your password, would you have given it to them? :eek:

I assume that most people do otherwise they wouldnt be making these calls. How insecure is that?

banks !!!

the link above relates to getting your own back - eg issuing the bank with a PIN for when they call YOU at home - eg if they dont get it right you move your account :p

Sp!ke said:
So... you get a call out of the blue and a stranger asks for your banking information and your password?

If you did know your password, would you have given it to them? :eek:

I assume that most people do otherwise they wouldnt be making these calls. How insecure is that?

Great point. I often get calls at home from various companies. Of course they do the usual 'talk' and then ask you to confirm a few details. I point blank refuse on the basis they called me and the number isn't shown on Caller ID. Gets a very mixed response along the lines of 'you think we'd be fraudulent ?'

Good way to stop calls too.

Don't give out your info over the phone - call the company back.

Great point. I often get calls at home from various companies. Of course they do the usual 'talk' and then ask you to confirm a few details. I point blank refuse on the basis they called me and the number isn't shown on Caller ID. Gets a very mixed response along the lines of 'you think we'd be fraudulent ?'

When I get these eg from Credit card company, they say they need to confim my detail 'due to security' etc etc. So I say no problem. They than ask to confirm my address, so I reply with "ok when you are ready - you tell me what you think it is and I'll confirm it" that throws them completely. I explain by stating that I know who I am and where I live and where I am standing - I however have NO IDEA who they are - so I need to check that - 'for security' and the call normally does not get much further though I had one guy who said 'I'll tell you half if you confirm the rest' which we did and all was ok.

be wary - always . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom