Credit Card details on EBAY - Opinions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

verytalldave

MB Enthusiast
Car
W203 C200K Cubanite
I have just been on ebay to bid on an item and the seller has placed a requirement that all bidders submit their credit card details to Ebay BEFORE they can bid on the item - even though payment is paypal preferred.
I am not too happy about this, even though the details are submitted via ebays secure server, I am still wary.

Has anyone else had this before submitting a bid?
What are forum members thoughts on this?
Good or bad or indifferent?

The only good thing I can see is that it might prevent some from sniping. Maybe.

X4.....report it to eBay.....sounds v fishy.

To make it clear, it was a secure ebay page for the credit card details.

However, the item wasnt a high value item (starting bid £25) and the seller had almost 100% positive feedback over about 1000 transactions - and was in the UK - not abroad.
I still think its overkill and unnecessary.

Last edited:
i think this only comes up if the seller only accepts bids from buyers with a credit card on file.

however i've never expeirenced it myself, so if you dont get the message from another seller selling the same thing at the same price, i would go elsewhere.....

may be worth emailing ebay support to find out. - but you could be in for a long wait for a decent reply........

IMHO dont give ebay ANYTHING unless you really have to!!

It says it will work in C class and E class -- I thought they used different discs...??

Last edited:
"To place a bid of $15,000 or more, you must provide a valid credit card (your card won't be charged) or go through our ID Verify process (no credit card required). This requirement helps ensure that members involved in large sales are of legal age and serious about completing the transaction."

http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

I have bid and won items at more than $30K US equivilant and never had to submit card details. I would never give these details. EBay are a bunch of muppets who NEVER resolve issues. In fact they usually don't even reply.

is yourPaypal account "verified" and as others have said sellers can specify if tthey want to sell to buyers who have a credit card on file.

HTH

Andy

I have bid and won items at more than $30K US equivilant and never had to submit card details. I would never give these details. EBay are a bunch of muppets who NEVER resolve issues. In fact they usually don't even reply.

Given that this appears to be forum member Muppetz, that couldn't have been more apt.:D

I suspect he is doing it to deter bogus bidders, bearing in mind the articals he is selling.

And if they do reply, it's as if it's an answer to a different question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom