Credit Card Fraud

Are you happy with you CC providers fraud resolution process?

• Yes

Votes: 14 87.5%
  • No

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scotth_uk

MB Enthusiast
Car
Renault
Each year, I find out somewhere along the way that my credit card has been cloned and that someone has maxxed out the limit. Generally speaking, the bank handles it all, with little or no interaction from me.

I found out on Friday that my "discount online bank" credit card had been thrashed, and in Spain by the sound of it. :( Not sure where this happened, as I never let the card leave my site. Probably a wireless, pocket based, handheld scanner. :crazy:

In my opinion, the "discount online bank" treat you very poorly in comparison to the regular bank. Lots of paperwork, no new card until the forms are completed, etc.

Anyone else been treated well/badly by their card provider when this happens?

Lloyds TSB were good when mine, and my exes cards were stolen in the post and they went on a spending spree in Reading... same shops both times..

Had some fraud on one of my MBNA cards a few years back. The bank handled the issue impeccably. No hassles at all.

S.

I had my HSBC credit card scammed a few years ago. The bank handled it very well. Dunno how they would be now, even simple issues take ages these days.

Egg were OK, forms sent and money recredited, but they did lose my file which delayed the whole thing for 4 weeks...

Spain

Scott

I think it is a big problem in Madrid at the moment, a team I worked with for 3 months last year all had their CC numbers cloned at some point :mad: .

We had restaurants double charging, but CC co's usually picked this up and we had restaurants charging a different amount after we had left.

The main instigators, however, were the hotels, we have all had our cards cloned in hotels by the staff and used for all manner of stuff and this was not just in one hotel. I think they think it is a perk of the job.

It will get better when we have to use a PIN for every CC transaction - but I am not sure how hotels will get around wanting to swipe your card before when you book in, so the problem will remain I think ?

Cheers

Stuart

Natwest were impeccable, gave me the money back within hours... HSBC were rubbish, took weeks...(Both Switch) Other Credit cards have also been v goood...

jaymanek said:
HSBC were rubbish, took weeks...(Both Switch) ..

Was that just HSBC or did you pay for their their card guard service?

Also bear in mind that switch isn't a creditcard transaction, it's more like cash or a cheque and there is no big CC company behind it to sort out the problems, it's down to the bank I think.

PINs are great but "customer not present" transactions don't require a PIN or a signature and are pretty loose when it comes to validation.

I've never had a problem like this but then I am very careful where and how I use them.

I generally use two cards with a third card that remains totally unused - saved for emergencies only.

Spain..... particularly Madrid is a real dodgy city ... I've never ever seen so many pickpockets and scammers before in my life - I think they have a bigger immigration problem than we do. Quite a number of *interesting* bars in Madrid too ;)

these 'card protection' services are mostly a con .. but if you have lots of cards, then it makes sense since they notify all of your banks for you. But since you're not liable for fraud on your CC, they are not protecting you as such.

GrahamC230K said:

we had a bad problem with Capital One a couple of years back which took until 3 months ago to finally get half resolved - we threatened to sue them and they ended up making a "goodwill payment" to settle the matter.

Barclaycard were absolutely brilliant when we had the card "borrowed" and it was dealt with incredibly quickly and easily.

Moral of the story - don't ever use a Capital One card

Andy

Capital One are receiving a bit of a beating in the US press for some interesting aspects of dealing with overdue payments.

Had my (joint with my wife) card cloned and used in Turkey. We still had our original cards. We had to continually phone the card company to advise which payments weren't ours. We paid our bill in full, leaving out the fraud transactions. This triggered the interest charges which then compounded for a few months. Each time they credited the charges back and we paid just the part of the bill that was ours and the charges came back the following month! In the end we had to pay the whole bill, including the incorrect charges just to reset their billing system. That was the only way we could clear the balance. They then credited the overpayment the following month. It sorted the problem, but I didn't like paying more than I owed, like lending them the money! :eek: :crazy:

GrahamC230K said:

I do pay for CG qith natwest... But in this case, they spotted the transactions and so i left it to them. But it took weeks and i was treated like a suspect for most of it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom