Credit card fraud

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Well I could rant but it would be pointless really.

Mastercard statement shows about £175 going to TrenItalia. Not alone it seems:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/viewsimilar.asp?q5=Trenitalia&ref=293285

Called CC company, explained transparent and seemingly well known fraud. Gormless sounding girlie on the other end asks if I want to dispute the charge made by my wife.

No, says I, it may be on wifely card number but not her doing nor mine. Says she will send me form so I can dispute the charge made by my wife. So I go through it again. Gets irate, says she has already told me she will send the form and immediately hangs up on me.

I must clearly have been missing some subtle point on credit card security and/or customer service so called back. It went slightly better but surprised I had to push for old card to be cancelled and new one issued. Is that not SOP?

I would speak to her manager , she sounds like she needs to be ' re-educated ' .... :mad:

I hate ignorant call centre staff , who think they can be as rude as they like to you because you don't have a face ....

Gormless?

Que? Do you mean to say, "gownless", Mr. Fawlty? I very confused.

Ticket touts sell tickets like mad on the platforms in Italy - and they probably get them via card fraud. If you even approach a ticket machine you are almost certain to be "offered help".

The TrenItalia website is notoriously difficult to use with a foreign credit card so I am actually surprised that someone managed it!!!

Credit card companies seem to be coming harder to deal with when internet fraud is mentioned - because they are seeing so much of it.

Gormless?

Que? Do you mean to say, "gownless", Mr. Fawlty? I very confused.

gorm·less (gôrmls)

adj. Chiefly British
Lacking intelligence and vitality; dull.

Ah, this is good.

Emerges the Call centre staff are not allowed to talk directly to the Fraud Department. Thus if I wanted to report it as a Fraud straight off I have to report it as such directly and get a reference number.

Otherwise have to wait for the wheels to grind and the dispute to be "identified" as a fraud by the Customer Service people after I had filled in the forms and be passed on! Amazingly, unlike the call centre, the Fraud Office is not a 24/7operation.

All the call centre plonkettes said they could do, absent a lost or stolen card, was "dispute" the charge despite my pointing out it was a very obvious and known fraud. Nor did they offer to cancel the card and reissue despite the live card details equally obviously being in the hands of evil-doers: I had to insist.

But they did very kindly offer to give me the number of the vendor (Italian Railways!) so I could take the matter up with them directly. Yes, that really would work.

I begin to see contributory factors to credit card fraud being so endemic.

And yet on the other end of the scale it took three phone calls to my bank for me to be able to use my card in the ATMs in Estonia; and even then they insisted only on enabling it for one particular bank. In the end I got irate and told them it was my money and I wanted access to it... apparently I'm supposed to tell them when I'm going on holiday (!).

Get a Natwest Visa or Mastercard, they have twice stopped the fraudilent use of my CC. They stopped my card and telephoned me to say they would send a new card and to destroy the existing card.

By the way, if you do expect to make an unusual purchase or use the card on holiday then inform them first.

LloydsTSB were on the ball when my business VISA was used, they called me for a DELL computers transaction I wasn't making, card was cancelled and I had a new one in about 10 days. No nonsence.

However when I had the usual Nigerian trying to use an American credit Card giving an Irish Address for delivery, the police e and the card companies were simply not interested, didn't even want the shipping address, which must be "Friendly" to an extent.

Like Jay, I've been caught with a chargeback, the card was even used on my premisies and Pin number accepted......I hate the things, but I have to accept them to operate my business. The insurance is all one way, and each time I accept payment by credit card I run the risk of losing my goods and the money.

I thought if the PIN was used the Bank took the liability.

Mudster if you use chip and pin they cannot do a chargeback if its to do with fraud...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom