Credit card fraud.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
I received a letter this morning from my card provider asking me to contact them urgently at their fraud department as a result of their fraud detection systems.. Uh, oh...

Having tried to check the balance online and finding the card no longer showing on my account I rang my bank and was transferred. I wanted to check the validity number on the letter instead of just ringing it.

It appears they have picked up on two transactions in the last few days which are not correct, fortunately only small amount £1 and £10.

I checked with them the last previous transaction which was easy to check as I haven't used this card much recently. It was a phone booking for a hotel, back in June.:rolleyes:

The card is now canceled and a new on issued at no loss to me.
Just posting to say the system appears to work but be careful with your cards.
Last time I had cards stolen someone spent over £1000 but again I didn't stand any loss due to reporting it immediately.

I received a letter this morning from my card provider asking me to contact them urgently at their fraud department as a result of their fraud detection systems.. Uh, oh...

Having tried to check the balance online and finding the card no longer showing on my account I rang my bank and was transferred. I wanted to check the validity number on the letter instead of just ringing it.

It appears they have picked up on two transactions in the last few days which are not correct, fortunately only small amount £1 and £10.

I checked with them the last previous transaction which was easy to check as I haven't used this card much recently. It was a phone booking for a hotel, back in June.:rolleyes:

The card is now canceled and a new on issued at no loss to me.
Just posting to say the system appears to work but be careful with your cards.
Last time I had cards stolen someone spent over £1000 but again I didn't stand any loss due to reporting it immediately.

Thats bad news, it seems folk are getting hit by fraud these days. I've given up with plastic, too many people I know of are having trouble.

Wasn't "Save the Children" was it ?

Very close in timeline to my recent fraud, and I used my card to book the same hotel ???????
I was really unsure as to how the fraudsters had my name and address - but I did enter it when I booked the hotel online.

My card had already been cancelled a day before we went to Torquay, in fact we had to pay for everything on Allisons card when we were there.

Just a thought

Not sure where the £1 transaction was for but the £10 was a restaurant apparently.

I figure the card was done at the infamous Hotel as I had to give the details when making a phone booking. I've never had a problem with secure online bookings though and believed their agent to be a separate entity.

I blame Zippy and Bungo..

Not sure where the £1 transaction was for but the £10 was a restaurant apparently.

I figure the card was done at the infamous Hotel as I had to give the details when making a phone booking. I've never had a problem with secure online bookings though and believed their agent to be a separate entity.

I blame Zippy and Bungo..

I've got a suspect transaction at the moment, bloke from north wales, delivery address in east london, only a yahoo email addy and some mobile number to do anything with.

Rung the welshman, who didn't sound very welsh at all, it's his brother cousins car or some such tale, refered to himself as Mr [christian name], which seemed even more suss....

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but it all seems far too weird to risk £600 over.

I've got a suspect transaction at the moment, bloke from north wales, delivery address in east london, only a yahoo email addy and some mobile number to do anything with.

Rung the welshman, who didn't sound very welsh at all, it's his brother cousins car or some such tale, refered to himself as Mr [christian name], which seemed even more suss....

Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but it all seems far too weird to risk £600 over.

TBH I'd cancel that one too! Do you take transactions over the phone or online? We use secure E-payments from HSBC which is very good for online although it's 1% more than through our terminal.

On the fraud side, I never know if it's a good thing or not when they stop my cards for no reason!

Kate

wife got done 2 weeks ago 2 payments of 40 odd quid for moble phone bills went thru unnoticed then they tried with the biggy --800 odd quid for a purchase over the web-- Halifax rang her up and queried it [well done halifax] and she was gobsmacked as she hadnt lost her card, hadnt given card details to anyone in person or over the phone/web, and we cant work out how they got card details . Didn't cost her anything but it makes you wonder how it happened

TBH I'd cancel that one too! Do you take transactions over the phone or online? We use secure E-payments from HSBC which is very good for online although it's 1% more than through our terminal.

On the fraud side, I never know if it's a good thing or not when they stop my cards for no reason!

Kate

I've been using google checkout, but I don't think I will be for too much longer as they've frozen my account due to EU money laundering laws (had to fax over proof of ID!), Protx or Worldpay look like a better if more expensive way forward.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom