Credit card recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BTB 500

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
R129 SL500, W639 Vito 120, S205 C300
My credit card provider (MBNA) has announced that they are stopping rewards points (basically redeemable against the Argos catalogue) very shortly. I'm going to end up with a new card and new number if I stick with them so it's an ideal opportunity to switch if there's something attractive out there. Any recommendations?

I pay the full balance every month so couldn't care less about interest rates or balance transfers. Not interested in anything that requires me to pay a fee either! Or deals/offers that only apply for the first 12 months (for example). I would prefer a Visa card as I already have a MasterCard (with a low credit limit, for online or 'high risk' use).

We shop at Sainsburys fairly regularly so Mrs BTB has suggested a Sainsburys credit card as that earns Nectar points. But open to any other suggestions!

Many thanks in advance :)

I use an Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday card. Fee-free card, 5% introductory rate (though this is only on your first £2,000 spending, so max £100), then tiered ongoing cashback.

Amex seem to be accepted more widely than previously.

Can't see an option to edit my original post so had to submit this additional post.

Amex Platinum (cashback) plus Barclaycard VISA (universal acceptance) are my choice. As suggested, Amex is accepted more widely than ever. Independent traders are still wary, but chains are no problem. I find very rural areas tend to dislike Amex, but even that's changing as Amex offer free or reduced fees to smaller traders to get their business, so ask and don't assume.

I bought Mrs D something in a tiny jewellers in a small town in North Devon, and asked "Would you prefer me to pay by VISA?" and to my surprise he said "No pay by Amex if you can". On big purchases the free fees period makes a big difference to the trader!

Many thanks for the comments so far. My current MBNA account has both an Amex card and a Visa one with rewards on both (double rewards on Amex transactions). So I'm used to using Amex, but it's far from being universally accepted. MBNA are dropping Amex and removing the reward points on Visa.

If you use Amazon a lot, then their credit card gives the equivalent of 0.75% cashback on anything purchased from them, and 0.5% cashback on purchases from elsewhere.

Don't completely rule out a fee based card if it contains benefits that cover the fee. The benefits of fee paying cards are often leagues above anything else on offer.

Example. Mrs Red has MS, I have sleep apnea, any form of annual travel insurance policy for the both of us is horrendously expensive (more than the AMEX annual card fee). However it's covered on the AMEX charge card we have and comes along with all sort of other benefits over and above the points collected. You have to use it for it to make sense though.

Problem is that none of the benefits that come with fee-based cards (or indeed bank accounts) are of much use to us. Same goes for reward cards that get you airmiles (or equivalent), Uber trips, etc.

I use several -mainly Amex , but also Halifax which is 1% cashback(although that card is no longer available)Had a Aqua one few years back and that was paying 3%.Also TSB were paying £5 for £100 spend - but that also got pulled.The cashback they have now is too fiddly with multiple purchases . Tbh , i probably maxxed them so much it was costing them too much!

Amex Platinum (cashback) plus Barclaycard VISA (universal acceptance) are my choice. As suggested, Amex is accepted more widely than ever. Independent traders are still wary, but chains are no problem. I find very rural areas tend to dislike Amex, but even that's changing as Amex offer free or reduced fees to smaller traders to get their business, so ask and don't assume.

I bought Mrs D something in a tiny jewellers in a small town in North Devon, and asked "Would you prefer me to pay by VISA?" and to my surprise he said "No pay by Amex if you can". On big purchases the free fees period makes a big difference to the trader!

I have an AMEX Platinum and as well as smaller traders there are lots of large chains (Lidl for one) who won't accept it. As long as you have a debit card or another credit card as back-up then it's not a problem and it's accepted widely enough for the cashback to mount up.

Avios points AND a free 2 for 1 companion ticket once a year - might seem expensive but some people find it useful:

ba_prem_plus.gif

Having also been told by MBNA that they're dropping the rewards (percentage cash back) by the end of this month, I've just switched to Virgin Atlantic's cards that give airmiles on Visa and twice as many with Amex. They're still through MBNA so it was a doddle to switch and still no fee. Of course, these are only any use if you want the Virgin airmiles, which I do.

Just to close this off, I've gone with an Amex Platinum Cashback Everyday plus a Barclaycard Visa Rewards. Many thanks for the suggestions and advice!

We have a sainsbury's card linked to nectar that we pay off monthly and do most of our spending on. We usually get around 200 quid a year, cash it in and get a free Christmas

We have a sainsbury's card linked to nectar that we pay off monthly and do most of our spending on. We usually get around 200 quid a year, cash it in and get a free Christmas

Same with the Tesco VISA one. We get about the same back in vouchers and their "boost" bonus scheme can be useful if you are buying what is on offer, e.g. they had a 4 for 1 offer at Topps Tiles so we got £400 worth of tiles for £100 worth of free vouchers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom