Credit crad fraud - scum

Discussion in 'OT (OFF Topic) Forums' started by pammy, Sep 18, 2008.

1. pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    Just had a phone call from my bank's credit card fraud prevention team. Have I placed an online order with Carphone Warehouse for £0.01? - erm no - I'm sat at my desk working. "That's fine madam - the transaction has not been approved. We do however need to stop your card and issue you with a replacement.":mad:

Damn - not the end of the world but plans for the weekend now need some extra thought. I like to have my Visa card - just in case I spot an essential pair of shoes or bag - you know what I mean.

"As you haven't placed that transaction - how about one 15 minutes ago for £900 (give or take) again online with a music store(name escapes me - not one I'd heard of)?":eek: :eek: :eek:

This one had been authorised! At this point my minor frustration turned into anger, upset, feeling violated - all of that rubbish:mad: :( :crazy: . I will get the money back - and they will refer to their fraud investigation people. But who are these scum that manage to pull off these fraudulent purchases. How come anything I want to buy online needs so much verification I sometimes lose the will to live! Yet these scum just go along and wham bam that'll do nicely thanks.

My bank have my correct address - but interestingly a totally unfamiliar mobile number for me - so how would these goods be delivered? I don't want to think about this too much as I'll and up paranoid and there's no room in my house for any more residents - :crazy:

The guy at the bank was really nice and helpful and reassured me my money was safe. Doesn't change the hassle I've got now. Luckily it's not much - but this could have ruined someone's holiday or more.

2. recycled

recycled Hardcore MB Enthusiast

sorry about this. A recent bank staff in london was caught selling details to fraudsters, she was monitored for about a year and could have done some serious damage.

if you have a visa card, have you opted for verify by visa? where you need to use a password on line for it to be authorised, before you can click for the final cost to go through it will ask for this password, otherwise no show.

Only sad thing is not all retailers, have signed up yet.

3. OP
    OP
    pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    hers - slk 320, his - dull diesel BMW fleet :/, Xtrail, Honda CBR 1100xx, Yamaha YZF600, Ribble Road
    Thanks - and a good tip for all!

I have opted with some - didn't realise until now just how much of a benefit it was! But I can only assume they've taken advantage of a less stringent trader- who to be honest deserves what they get in this day and age because they should have needed my three digits form the back of the card. Hopefully the bank's action means I get my money, the seller keeps their goods and someone gets caught and done!!

4. Gollom

Gollom Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S211 E220CDi AvantGarde, NTG 2.5 with Linguatronic
    Sorry to hear about that Pammy. It can be a sh1t world sometimes can't it?

Take Edna for a top-down spin :)

5. Meldrew2

Meldrew2 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mine: BMW X1 2.0d M-Sport & BMW 420d M-Sport+ Cabrio Hers: BMW X1 1.8d SE (sorry, guys)
    I've been hit 5 times.

First time was after I used card in Jamaica - shop obviously took the number.

Twice after using Cotton Traders website - as you type in the expiry date rather than pulling down a menu list - due to a keylogger virus that McAfee looked straight past.

Once - not sure how. Some video games arrived that I had not ordered.

Finally - someone uses my name to apply for a £5K personal loan.

It's time the Banks put something solid to defend us.PIN @ POS is not the answer. PIN numbers didn't secure cash-cards, after all.

6. recycled

as long as someone does not have your pin, they cannot use the card.
    POS problems is people whose pins are obtained, by surfing or hidden cameras, or those who hand over their cards to cashiers
    Not the banks fault

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
  7. Smatt

Smatt Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2011 E350Cdi Cab Auto, 2011 E350Cdi Estate Auto
    commiserations- glad it's been spotted early

8. recycled

To guard against this, register your address with CIFAS and put a password on it.
    Any organisation will have to call you to ask for the password to continue the loan approval.

9. UnMarked

UnMarked Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Various-depends on the weather
    ....and when you get home your fella will have a massive hug waiting for you before you help him clean out the gerbils!! :D ;)

10. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    I get a couple of fraudulent requests to buy goods a week.

For each I have email addresses, pseudonyms, phone numbers, delivery addresses, contact addresses...every time the police or the banks simply aren't interested....no one seems in the slightest bit bothered to take any of these details and chase up the offenders or the handlers for that matter.

11. OP
    OP
    pammy

pammy MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Thanks babes :D really looking forward to doing the two fluffy fast mini rats:D :D - I'd go a hug though ;)

12. itjustworks

itjustworks Member

a guy in our IT dept has had a phne come through the door from CPW that he did not order.

Problem i think is that there is a verify by visa system in place for a reason, companies like CPW do not use it so as long as people have got the card details they can place orders left right and centre

13. Bobby Dazzler

Bobby Dazzler MB Club Veteran

Car:
    ML AMG-line Black Series
    I caused alarm bells when I paid a fairly large bill at the counter for the first time in ages - I thought I'd do it the old fashioned for a change.

I failed every identification & verification question they asked me. I got a little concerned when I "got" both my nationality and mobile number "wrong" amongst other things.

They said the nationality think could easily be an accident - they had me down as US (not UK), but couldn't explain the mobile number - I've only ever had three.

I won't divulge which types of questions they actually asked me - but believe me they were so unexpected - I didn't realise they actually had that kind of information on me!!

Minor inconvenience, but I'm glad they operate these checks though - even if it only makes it more difficult for someone to be naughty, rather than stops it all together.

14. SEM

SEM Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2007 C220 CDi SPORT & E350 Coupe Sport
    About 300 People have been done in Balsall Common at a local Shell Garage recently... it gets worse

15. Rory

Rory MB Club Veteran

Car:
    C270CDi Estate (late 2004 facelift model)
    Happened twice to me last year - one of the surprises was that one purchase was for a flight. Apparently that's very common, but surely it should be pretty easy to check who actually took the flight (and risky for the person taking it, if the fraud was spotted beforehand)?

A purchase on another card was jewellery form an online store. I called them and they seemed most dismayed and kept apologising. I said no worries, hasn't cost me anything. "No", said they guy, "but they will do a charge back on me". I guess that's why the banks don't care - they just do a charge back on the poor retailer.

Solution for Mrs R and I is that we run 4 credit cards between the 2 of us and make sure that we keep them all active. Bit of a pain settling 4 bills every month, but do it online so only takes a couple of mins.

16. Mudster

Mudster Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2008 A150 SE Classic, 2007 Saab 9-3 Sportwagon
    And this is the crux of the problem....the card companies don't actually foot the bill, that's why they couldn't give a stuff who the fraudsters are...they don't lose...

I read my Streamline agreement which states I'm responsible for security all the way down the line...everything is down to me..absolutely no comebacks ..it sucks...every time I take a credit card I risk being ripped off.

17. verytalldave

verytalldave Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W203 C200K Cubanite
    I had this happen to me a while back.
    I was also told to expect my new card in 4-6 working days - but it came through after only two days.
    So its possible it could drop through your letterbox Saturday morning.
    Fingers crossed.

18. Sp!ke

Sp!ke Administrator Staff Member

Car:
    SL500 & The Fart Car
    If you do this, some lenders may refuse your application immediately. With Barclays I couldnt even open a deposit account after doing this. I checked my credit score which was very good, appealed the result twice and lost both times before finally demanding to know the reason. The Bank still refused to say. Eventually after much research on the web I discovered I wasnt alone and the CIFAS registration was the cause of many similar cases despite it being against the rules.

The theory is that the mere fact you have a CIFAS registration means you represent a higher risk.

19. recycled

I have been on it for 2 years and i have never been refused credit once.
    I do get calls anytime i ask for credit though .
    even when i apply on line, it still works for me.
    Not sure what went wrong in your case but yea it does happen.

but better that than someone running up £5k in my name in bad credit.
    That will take a lot worse to clear.

20. Dragon

Dragon Banned

It hit me with my Barclaycard, they mentioned just a few transactions, when I finally managed to get my id and password to check it online after two weeks, there were 20 more transactions, I have to point it out to them. I still have to pay for it for that month and didn't managed to get it back after the following month. Prepared for the shock when you check it online or the next statement.