Credit crad fraud - scum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
as long as someone does not have your pin, they cannot use the card.
POS problems is people whose pins are obtained, by surfing or hidden cameras, or those who hand over their cards to cashiers
Not the banks fault

As long as nobody can guess your PIN - and a lot of people use date of birth, or something similar (or 1966 - as in world cup)

To guard against this, register your address with CIFAS and put a password on it.
Any organisation will have to call you to ask for the password to continue the loan approval.

I'd never heard of CIFAS - until after the £5K loan application, when Lloyds TSB offered to put myself & wife on CIFAS at their cost (if you go direct to CIFAS there is a fee).

If you do this, some lenders may refuse your application immediately............The theory is that the mere fact you have a CIFAS registration means you represent a higher risk.

Bugger !

As long as nobody can guess your PIN - and a lot of people use date of birth, or something similar (or 1966 - as in world cup)

I'd never heard of CIFAS - until after the £5K loan application, when Lloyds TSB offered to put myself & wife on CIFAS at their cost (if you go direct to CIFAS there is a fee).

Bugger !

PIN is not required for Internet purchase nor for phone purchase.

PIN is not required for Internet purchase nor for phone purchase.

well then get two cards and make sure the one you use on the internet or the phone is never out of your sight.
Set up an online account and view it every hour. If you watch it on line as much time as you spend posting, it would be hard not to spot any false transactions.

Have had similar where the bank called me to confirm a payment that they were not sure about, the guy on the phone asked me to confirm my account number, address, DoB etc. told him that I wouldn't as I could not be sure who he was so I decided to call the bank myself and got through to the anti fraud people that way.

Have also had instances when people have tried to obtain loads and credit cards using my information but they got stopped, have bought a shredder to reduce the risk in future.

Also I have the situation that my credit cards get stopped on a regular basis as I do lots of travel with work (Romania, Russia, Spain, Poland). All I have to do is call them and they re-set the card while I am talking to them on the phone, was impressed that they could see that I had put my card in the machine (and where the machine was etc.) about one second after I had put it in!!!

Nick

Just had a phone call from my bank's credit card fraud prevention team. Have I placed an online order with Carphone Warehouse for £0.01? - erm no - I'm sat at my desk working. "That's fine madam - the transaction has not been approved. We do however need to stop your card and issue you with a replacement.":mad:

Damn - not the end of the world but plans for the weekend now need some extra thought. I like to have my Visa card - just in case I spot an essential pair of shoes or bag - you know what I mean.

"As you haven't placed that transaction - how about one 15 minutes ago for £900 (give or take) again online with a music store(name escapes me - not one I'd heard of)?":eek: :eek: :eek:

This one had been authorised! At this point my minor frustration turned into anger, upset, feeling violated - all of that rubbish:mad: :( :crazy: . I will get the money back - and they will refer to their fraud investigation people. But who are these scum that manage to pull off these fraudulent purchases. How come anything I want to buy online needs so much verification I sometimes lose the will to live! Yet these scum just go along and wham bam that'll do nicely thanks.

My bank have my correct address - but interestingly a totally unfamiliar mobile number for me - so how would these goods be delivered? I don't want to think about this too much as I'll and up paranoid and there's no room in my house for any more residents - :crazy:

The guy at the bank was really nice and helpful and reassured me my money was safe. Doesn't change the hassle I've got now. Luckily it's not much - but this could have ruined someone's holiday or more.

Pammy

I might suggest you consider ID Theft Insurance policy protection for one year just as a precaution.

My card was thumped for £2500 in cash per day on 19 and 20.06.2008 - I checked my account on line once a week minimum regardless of where I am in the world and picked this up on 21.06.2008. Also had 99p payment pending showing which is a sum I would never use for payment with a credit card.

Card Company notified immediately and stop put on card - appears that I was one of 38000 whose details were taken via a hacker from well known clothing company payment site in January 2008. They waited until June 2008 and then started their 'fun and games' causing great distress I have no doubt to countless people.

I tracked down Company and demanded to know why I was not informed of this breach - great apologies but they had notified Card Company only when problem identified - first clue I had was £5000 in cash gone to some thieving herbert as 'balance transfer' in June !!! - appears I had been 'moved' to Luton of all places and opened another account to allow transfers !!!!

Fraud Department guys and girls brilliant but still took sometime to sort out and pay back into my account, along with interest accrued.

As I could identify that some of my personal details had obviously already been used in setting up another account, I took out ID Theft insurance for a one year period as a precaution against any 'games' these guys will play in trying to obtain other peoples hard earned cash - Scum is to polite to describe these people !!!

Hope this advice is of use to you

Bill

I get a couple of fraudulent requests to buy goods a week.

For each I have email addresses, pseudonyms, phone numbers, delivery addresses, contact addresses...every time the police or the banks simply aren't interested....no one seems in the slightest bit bothered to take any of these details and chase up the offenders or the handlers for that matter.

That really annoys me, I've had my bank details & my credit card used last year for a total of 20 transactions. The police are not interested in the slightest and the banks tell you to leave it up to them, but they do not involve the police either because if everyone knew how rife this was, we would all cut our cards in half & start using cash again. Although all my money was returned, it is still hassle you can do without and we all foot the bill eventually as the retailers who lose the money have to put up their prices.

Russ

I heard that shell petrol stations are a common place to card details stolen, Pammy, did you fill your car @ shell any time recently. I've seen heaps of online phishing scams as I used to use eBay, a lot, is there any way you fell for one of those.

WiFi internet is another, a unscrupulous sort can hack into your signal and see what your transmitting. using the card online recently could do this. Do you have a wireless network, if you do ensure its all properly secured etc but IMHO a wired one is better

Noone is safe really from these scams, but I do feel for you as being a victim of crime is a bugger.

Sorry to hear about this Pammy, not nice at all. As long as your bank are aware it should be sorted pretty quickly.
I had it with my connect card and that didn't just cause the fraud problems but sent my account overdrawn and they charged me for it, that took longer to sort out than the original fraud.

Just the one tip... Dont be looking in shoe shop windows this weekend.

I've seen heaps of online phishing scams as I used to use eBay, a lot, is there any way you fell for one of those.

WiFi internet is another, a unscrupulous sort can hack into your signal and see what your transmitting.

The banks would love us to believe this is how your details are collected.
Unfortunately it is easier for some low life to get a job in the bank or a large retailer where they have access to hundreds of card details every week.
These are then sold on & used to buy goods using your accounts.

Russ

That is where most of the damage occurs.
Of course no one will claim it is their bank or their shop.

Also in an effort to spread your details around their group of
companies, to sell you more credit, these things happen.

The banks would love us to believe this is how your details are collected.
Unfortunately it is easier for some low life to get a job in the bank or a large retailer where they have access to hundreds of card details every week.
These are then sold on & used to buy goods using your accounts.

Russ

Alas there is that. I tend to just use cash for most things, I prefer it that way as it makes budgeting for me easy, and less data about my transactions is available. I can still be mugged, but so can anyone.

I mostly use cash as well. As for online transaction, i have an online account for that using a debit card. the account is always empty. If i need to buy something, i get the price, open another window,transfer the exact amount into this account, buy what i need and presto, the account is empty again.

As for paying anything to govenment agencies, e.g road tax, i always use cash. Trick is never leave things to the last minute and with cash you still get an old fashioned reciept .

if i really have to use the credit card. e.g for airline tickets and to protect myself with the credit act, i use a reputable well known company that i know will be ashamed of adverse publicity.
finally ,just as i read my emails everyday, i check all my accounts every day .

Last edited:
I mostly use cash as well. As for online transaction, i have an online account for that using a debit card. the account is always empty. If i need to buy something, i get the price, open another window,transfer the exact amount into this account, buy what i need and presto, the account is empty again.

I used to buy lots of stuff online when I was younger, but since I shop very little and the high street is pretty cheap I tend not to bother. My internet usage focuses around this place, the other forum and email etc.

Thanks all for the kind messages - much appreciated. I was not a happy bunny earlier!! But I've had a hug now and your messages and I feel better :D

Luckily I don't use this card very often - have it more as a fall back and for those purchases where I want the Visa protection. I'll look into the identity theft insurance - thanks for the tip - and be more prudent about shredding my papers - although they're usually carefully placed in a placcy bag full of dog poo - so if they got it that way - then it was not nice :D :D :devil:

Can't recall using a Shell garage recently - tends to be Esso or Saino's own.

thanks for the tip - and be more prudent about shredding my papers - although they're usually carefully placed in a placcy bag full of dog poo - so if they got it that way - then it was not nice :D :D :devil:

Thre credit crunch works in mysterious ways.

....and when you get home your fella will have a massive hug waiting for you before you help him clean out the gerbils!! :D ;)

i really really want to say, don't you think you should be out catching these low lifes?:D

And then drone on and on about how hard done by I am etc etc.:D

But I guess that will no doubt start a fight again:devil:

And your hug will help Pammy more.

And I hope everybody laughs at this post and DOES NOT TAKE IT AS A REAL STATEMENT OF INTENT!:)

And your hug will help Pammy more.

And I hope everybody laughs at this post and DOES NOT TAKE IT AS A REAL STATEMENT OF INTENT!:)

It did and I hope so too

But just in case

i really really want to say, don't you think you should be out catching these low lifes?:D

Even people who work in the public service arena are allowed some time to sleep and recharge their batteries and do housey stuff - prior to a loooooooooong night shift ;) Was fun seeing the little critters rolling around in their placcy balls while the dogs looked on - going nuts as they couldnt get at them :D :D :D

Was fun seeing the little critters rolling around in their placcy balls while the dogs looked on - going nuts as they couldnt get at them :D :D :D

animal torture too. Thats it. I am calling the RSPB.:D

(Are Gerbils domesticated rats?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom