Credit crad fraud - scum

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
better safe than sorry.

True but you see now because a minority of scum who do these crimes now mean if you do use your card, it runs the risk of being blocked - nack has to do its job and all that but a minority once again ruin things for the majority of law abiding decent people

Well got back after our weekend away and my replacement card indeed arrive yesterday - so well done First Direct :D Doesn't look like anything else has slipped though. Phew!

Odder and odder.

SWMBO had her credit card compromised a couple of weeks ago, now its her debit card. Got a call from her bank, and sure enough, several small fraudulent transactions - phone credit, national express had gone through. A couple of larger ones(£300+) had been blocked. No problem, money refunded and a new card on its way.

How has this happened - hasn't used both cards at the same outlet, PC is properly protected (auto updates, IE7, defender, antivirus). She knows about secure sites, phising and shredding.

Beats me:(

Odder and odder.

SWMBO had her credit card compromised a couple of weeks ago, now its her debit card. Got a call from her bank, and sure enough, several small fraudulent transactions - phone credit, national express had gone through. A couple of larger ones(£300+) had been blocked. No problem, money refunded and a new card on its way.

How has this happened - hasn't used both cards at the same outlet, PC is properly protected (auto updates, IE7, defender, antivirus). She knows about secure sites, phising and shredding.

Beats me:(

See post 30 on page 2, the kind of info the banks don't want you to know.
I've had both credit & bank cards used in the last year & know all the scams.
If someone in the system, trusted with card holders details decides to use your info, there is nothing you can do to stop them.

Russ

Quick update:

Just had the bank on the phone. The transaction has now come through as authorised!! But it's on my old card and they're dealing with it. They will reject it because the online store - Dolphin Music - accepted the card and agreed to dispatch to an address different to the cardholder - that's against the T & Cs so my bank can and are going to refuse to pay on it.

I asked how they had got my card details. Apparently, could be via an unscruplous shop, which as I rarely use this one as a physical thing is unlikely - or part of a batch that the fraudsters had bought!!!

So it's back to the trader for them to sort - and tbh - so it should be. They choose to sell and deliver almost £900 of goods to an unconfirmed address - serves them right.

It is interesting though and only because I'm not going to be footing the bill - otherwise I'd be a tad more upset.

Hopefuly, the delivery address and phone records will lead them to the thief.
I thought shops would only deliver to the cardholders address? Unless they were in on it??

And again, 3rd time - this time more mobile topups, and Tesco direct. Hopefully now they have a mobile number and a delivery address, they might catch someone!

This really is getting to be a pain:(

Only just noticed this thread - a word of warning about the Verified By Visa scheme that was mentioned at the start if this thread. Merchants are not subject to chargebacks for fraudulent transactions under this scheme, and I think that means you are (that's what I remember of a discussion about a VbV project a couple of years ago).

If anyone is thinking of joining the scheme check the small print carefully, as although it may seem safer, you may not have the same level of protection when things do go wrong.

But in reality, the payment would not go through if the perp does not know your verified password, it is an extra security measure.

Russ

My wife only used her credit card ONCE and that was on line to buy a single proiduct fromn a certfied and secure site.

The next thing we heard was that a male person ahd made TWO purchases from Dell Computers using my wife's credit card with a female christian name and a delivery address in a completely different part of the country.

I tried insisting that the bank report this crime to the police but they claimed the issue was too complex and anyone could have made the purchase!!! The card was only used legally ONCE. The two monitors must have been signed for but the bank was only interested in recovery its money from Dell.

Contrary to what was suggested, we never had to pay the debt, this was sorted by the bank.

John

I tried insisting that the bank report this crime to the police but they claimed the issue was too complex and anyone could have made the purchase!!!

John

And the police would not have been interested anyway.
No wonder crime of this nature is on the increase.

Russ

But in reality, the payment would not go through if the perp does not know your verified password, it is an extra security measure.

Russ
But at present online transactions shouldn't go through because they fraudsters shouldn't know your CCV number. Fraudsters have ways, yes it's and extra measure, but given the potential cost to me if things go wrong I'd rather not have it.

And the police would not have been interested anyway.
No wonder crime of this nature is on the increase.

Russ
The sad reality is,
I'm sure your right:eek: :eek:

I was bought up to believe honesty is the best policy, but nowadays the honest person appears to collect all the cow discharge:devil: ;)

But at present online transactions shouldn't go through because they fraudsters shouldn't know your CCV number. Fraudsters have ways, yes it's and extra measure, but given the potential cost to me if things go wrong I'd rather not have it.
My wife has only ever made one purchase with that specific card. There was only one outlet that knew the information.

John

I tried insisting that the bank report this crime to the police but they claimed the issue was too complex and anyone could have made the purchase!!! The card was only used legally ONCE. The two monitors must have been signed for but the bank was only interested in recovery its money from Dell.

The police don't care, they pass it to the bank, they don't care either, the retailers get to lose all the money.

That's why most things cost so much more here than in other countries.

My wife has only ever made one purchase with that specific card. There was only one outlet that knew the information.

John
Fraudsters have ways.;) Someone mentioned bank staff selling details, think about how many people potentially had access to your card before it dropped through your letter box.

A company I know would only send cards to certain post code areas by a special secure courier.

I had this happen to me... i was cheking my bank online when i saw 3 transactions for £140 all to the same place... It was an online gaming site. I phoned my bank and got put through to the fraud department.. it took about 10 days to get it back but it was the fact that somehow someone had managed to get my details and use them like that....and i am always careful. Like you say its the hassel more than anything and the thought that someone has violated your privacy. Hope its all sorted soon....

If the fraudsters work for the bank or credit card company, they will have access to your CCV number as well. These are the details that are sold on.
They will not know your PIN number, but you don't need that for buying on line anyway. Nor will they know your password if you are in the verified by visa scheme as you are directed to another secure site to enter this and it is a separate system from your card details.

The banks will never admit that they have untrustworthy employees, but they are targeted by these low lives as a means of gathering information, in the same way that the Royal Mail is targeted by the same gangs who want to steal mail. (especially for new credit cards)

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom