Credit crunch sparks new British caravan craze

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Just when you thought it could not get any worse.

"Caravans look likely to make a comeback this summer, as high bills, the low pound and environmental concerns drive holidaymakers back to Britain's camp sites.

According to the National Caravan Council, many young parents are also nostalgic for the seaside holidays of their childhood and want to keep their children away from television and computer screens.

Figures from the NCC reveal a 20 per cent rise in camp site bookings for July and August, while trade in caravans also appears to be rising.

One of Britain's biggest caravan holiday companies, Haven Holidays, reports a 30 per cent rise in bookings, with families scrambling to find places for this week's half-term break.

Meanwhile, Gumtree, a leading classified advertising internet website listing caravans and camper vans for sale or to rent, has reported a 300 per cent increase in postings.

Celebrity campers, including Mark Owen, of the pop group Take That, the actress Patsy Palmer and the former Formula One driver Mark Blundell, may also have helped to popularise caravan holidays.

City firms, landowners and farmers seem keen to cash in. Weststar caravan parks has been sold to Alchemy Partners for £83 million, leaving the Dragon's Den star Deborah Meaden with a 23 per cent stake worth £19 million, while private equity firm Graphite Capital snapped up 19 parks from Cinque Ports Leisure for £130 million.

Some of Britain's grandest estates welcome campers. Sandringham, in Norfolk, owned by the Queen, Chatsworth House, in Derbyshire, the seat of the Duke of Devonshire, and Holkham Hall, also in Norfolk, home of Viscount Coke, heir to the Earl of Leicester, all run caravan parks.

Lord Coke, 42, who is president of the Caravan Club, is enjoying the open air this weekend with 3,000 others at the club's annual rally.

He and his family have moved out of their 18th-century mansion to sleep in a 22ft Airstream Safari “internal land yacht”. Built in 1965, it has air-conditioning and a full-size fridge and was acquired second-hand for £15,000.

Lord Coke said: “I've always loved being outdoors and the great thing about a caravan is that you open the door and you're immediately in the open air. If you stay in a house, it can take two or three hours to get outside.”

His first camping experience was as a small boy, staying in a static caravan owned by his grandmother at Mother Ivy's Bay, north of Padstow, in Cornwall. A favourite treat for his four children now is a weekend away at a caravan park in Cromer.

He has become something of an evangelist for caravan parks. Research by the Caravan Club has found that its members contribute £44million a year to the rural economy.

But Lord Coke rails against councils who try to block new parks. The Historic Houses Association and the Country Land and Business Association say members interested in setting up a park are often thwarted by local planners. Certified locations from the Caravan Club appear to be the solution. This means that after inspection from a club official, a farmer can offer pitches with electricity and water to a maximum of five caravans without the bother of seeking planning permission.

This year spaces at 2,500 certified locations are in record demand.

Simon Groom, the former BBC Blue Peter presenter, and his wife, Gilly, have pitches for five caravans at their Grade II-listed Manor Farm, in Dethick, near Matlock, in the foothills of the Derbyshire Peak District.

He said: “We took over the farm from my parents three years ago and this year we have been inundated with requests, more than ever before.

“There is definitely a trend and probably to do with money being tight. But I also think people get stressed out by modern life and these days caravans are so sophisticated, with their mod cons and satellite TV, people don't have to rough it.”

Campers are charged £8 a night for their caravan, £1 for electricity and 50p to put up an awning. Mr Groom's other businesses include rearing sheep, letting land to a sheep farmer, television production studios and running a bed and breakfast.

Six tenant farms at Holkham are also certified caravan locations and they too report a rise in bookings."

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/money/consumer_affairs/article4004188.ece

But what about the high fuel cost when pulling them around.

I wonder how true the artical is, or is it a ploy to get people to get one

"..want to keep their children away from television...

Now you have upset Television... :D

Guess its just a ploy about trying to get people to spend some money on holidays following the credit crunch... so they can maintain their livelihoods.

While I love caravanning, surely if it was on the up people would be buying caravans not selling them?

David

While I love caravanning, surely if it was on the up people would be buying caravans not selling them?

David

That's the way I read it too! :p

We looked at the whole caravan thing and whilst it has some upsides we decided we could go on a lot of nice holidays for the £7k+ we were looking at spending.

That's the way I read it too! :p

We looked at the whole caravan thing and whilst it has some upsides we decided we could go on a lot of nice holidays for the £7k+ we were looking at spending.

Like filling water into the loo as Jeremy said and then ended up burning their caravan up with a chip pan fire?

I will never win people over, some of you who are simply not into caravans or don't understand them then you never will :) :) I consider myself a petrol head, love cars, swap them too often, track a car, off road and ooh yes I caravan.

As a kid both myself and wifes parents caravaned and its rubbed off on us.

I've been all over the world with some lovely holidays staying in some fantastic hotels and very lucky to have done so.

A caravan with children is great, pitch up and they are off playing with the other kids in the fresh air.

The main advantage is we can just up and go for a weekend, unlike most people who maybe have 2 weeks for summer say and a week here and there...thats it for the year :)...

Also modern caravans are superb inside with most mod cons you find in a house, also sites have come on a long way you don't have to fill water or empty waste its all plumbed in.

Knock it by all means but maybe give it a go first :)

Its like the LPG thread I'm sure people will knock it and they are probably the ones never tried it :) :)

I'm not even an a old git with a volvo :) :)

Why can't caravans be a lot more funky though? Those retro american silver things are/were cooooool:cool:

I'm not even an a old git with a volvo :) :)

I'm not old, but I have caravanned in a Volvo!

Everything you say is good. Some people find towing boring, I enjoy the lack of stress. And as you say seeing the kids off enjoying themselves is great.

Got to stop there is a Caravan dealership with 2 miles of here and I am trying to resist:)

David

Gucci

I would buy an Airstream (the silver American hand built van) Tomorrow as I love them but the wife hates them.

They also start around £25K up to over £45K

Would look great behind the bus :)

I used to get 22mpg average when towing my caravan which is probably more than an E55 gets normally:)

As much as the credit crunch it probably has a lot to do with how unpleasant it is to fly nowdays

As someone who spent 16 years driving this(and previous ones)
Picturesuptomarch06087.jpg

The touring caravan manufacturers are struggling. I'm no longer in that trade, but my mate still works for the same company. Their main company they work for have gone on short time, Swift group, from Cottingham are also on a two week shut down. One of the main manufacturers will almost certainly go under this year. Loads of new, unsold 2008 vans sat at manufacturers, the dealers don't want them. Alot of caravanners are keeping theres vans this year, and not ungrading, due to the credit crunch and sky high fuel prices. The second hand market is still bouyant, but new sales are down.

Last edited:
Alot of caravanners are keeping theres vans this year, and not ungrading, due to the credit crunch and sky high fuel prices. The second hand market is still bouyant, but new sales are down.

A very valid point here. More people are holding onto what they already have and others are buying 2nd hand gods instead of new.

I'm not sure this is to do with people having less money, more likely less credit facilities open to them.

The majority of caravanners are retired, they only have a limited income. When their fuel bill goes up 30%, something has to give, use the 'van or upgrade, higher payments and not use it as much. Most of the people in this group use their vans on rallies rather than proper caravan sites, so no savings to made there either.
I had a brand new 'van, bought it new in '98, used it 16 times the first year, similar amounts the second and third year. Lots of short breaks and long weekends away. Now i think its less hassle to prebook a travelodge for £28 a night for a weekend away. My caravan insurance in '98 was £250 a year, so probably closer to £350 now, storage is around £250 a year around here, depreciation, service every year and the costs add up. Don't get me wrong, i loved it, but looking back, it was soo much hassle, when you can book a night in a hotel, throw a bag in the car, and no drying awnings, emptying toilets etc when you get back. To get on a decent caravan site in the summer is around £25-£30 a night, add your extra fuel costs and the cost of owning a 'van and it isn't the cheap option it used to be.

Dean you right its not a CHEAP option, if you work out all the prices invloved it probably quite pricey but we still love it..

Maybe I'm sad but I like the phaffing around with it, servicing, filling it up, checking everything. I also enjoy towing the 'rig' setting up an site and looking at all the other vaners..

I think one of the main advantages with kids it you can set up and they are off all day playing.,You cannot do that in a hotel. Running round with you worried if they break anything.

Oh and I'm 34 wife 27 so hardly retired yet :)

cheers

Quite agree, we used ours on a lot of rallies, my kids were always watched by at least 30 pairs of eyes. They grew up with our friends in our caravan club, and we are still good friends with some of them now. I bought my first van at 19:D , then went back to trailer tents, then back to caravans, finally buying the new one in '98. Got pictures of my daughter somewhere, at two months old in a trailer tent.

Just to be clear, I loathe caravans. This is not for want of the experience because for many years my parents toured far and wide in the UK and Europe dragging a chintz curtained and velour upholstered giant white road snail behind. And self & siblings were of course dragged along as captives so you can work the rest out for yourselves: Hell on wheels followed by the mind numbing tedium of the caravan site and the caravan club

Oh my parents enjoyed themselves and kept on telling us what fun we were and would be having and true, there were many moments where our childish and young adult thoughts were diverted from arson, fighting and whose turn it was to empty the bog, fetch water etc. but on the whole it was BORING

Even now it brings me out in a cold sweat. I particularly remember the happy day when, after four days of persistent driving rain at the back end of a two week caravan excursion into madness, my elder brother lost the plot, walked out during the night, hitchhiked to Bristol and attempted to join the Army. Sadly he was 14 and ended up with breakfast and a trip home thanks to the local Plod. Even then my parents put it down to being "at a difficult age" rather than a latter day form of cabin fever.

Fast forward some years and damn me if I do not find myself a frequent and enforced user of the A303/A30/A38 and caravan victim yet again. Once more you can work the rest out for yourselves but on the back of recent experience here is one possible solution to limiting the periodic caravan infestations.

Harsh, but fair. ;)

Last edited:
4 years ago when I got my current caravan the market had gone mad ... many dealers had sold their year's allocation of new stock by the end of January and were flogging demonstrators (no point having them when people can't order a new one). The caravan I traded in was 5 years old and the part-ex was only about £700 less then I'd paid for it new! The dealer sold it within a couple of hours.

Satch.
Write a book of your memoirs, it will sell like hot cakes..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom