Cricket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glojo

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
Wot a boring game!!!

I have just watched someone called Graham Napier score 152 runs off just 58 balls.
Sixteen sixes...... Yup sixteen sixes and boy were the impressive.

To retrieve one ball David Lloyd the cricket commentator even climbed over a fence to get into someone's back garden! :devil: :bannana: :bannana: :bannana: Once he got the ball he came out with a classic......

'Finder's, keepers' :D

Brilliant entertainment and I doubt I will ever see the like again

Brilliant

Regards
John

Cricket or paint dry?
Paint dry:devil:
I know the feeling but thie 'ere 20/20 cricket is entertaining:eek: :eek: If you can describe cricket as being entertaing.

16 six's is an unbelievable figure, they were descending on to roofs, back gardens, car parks.......

20/20 is an abomination dreamed up to attract punters who are pining for the 90 minutes of football that they can't do without.

Proper cricket - 5 days test cricket, that is - is multi-dimensional chess. Psychology, concentration, stamina, fitness, strategy. Alas most of this is required by the spectator too, hence this numpty version of the game...

I find 22 "men" on vastly inflated salaries kicking a ball to be slightly worse than watch paint dry while someone sticks red hot needles in your eyes...

:)

Proper cricket - 5 days test cricket, that is - is multi-dimensional chess. Psychology, concentration, stamina, fitness, strategy. Alas most of this is required by the spectator too, hence this numpty version of the game...
20-4006559.jpg

The dinosaur used to patrol our streets but sadly life moves on a pace and when the bicycle was invented the poor dinosaur was up the creek without a saddle!! :devil: :)

The days of Geoff Boycott being hit by ball after ball and scoring 20 or maybe 30 runs a day are long gone. :D I need entertaining, I don't want one batsman facing sixty overs and scoring perhaps forty runs! (I even need Formula 1 cars to overtake each other)

One day cricket saw the demise of the five day game. FIVE days and you still get a blooming draw!!!!!!!!

Kerry Packer caused huge discontent when he set out to make cricket more entertaining and we are seeing a similar stance regarding 20/20. Hopefully the English cricket-board will very quickly realise this version of cricket is here and here to stay. 152 runs in just 58 balls is some display of batting. One batsman getting these runs was pure entertainment and reminded me so much of Ian Botham in his hay day. I think the saying about Botham summed up test cricket.

You knew when Botham was batting because the beer tent was empty!

With 20/20 it is all about whacking the ball and getting as many runs as possible within a very short timescale.

article-0-01BAE85A00000578-164_468x395.jpg

Half way through this spectacular innings this batsman lost his partner and an ex England captain stated that he should now just parry a few balls to take the sting out of the bowler. The batsman had crossed so he faced the bowler and hit the next two balls .................. for consecutive sixes. The king is dead; long live the king!

My own thoughts are that one day cricket saw the beginning of the demise of the five day game and it could be suggested that cricketers now lack the concentration to be able to face bowlers and just block unplayable balls? I'm not even going to talk about padding worn by our modern batsmen!:devil:

Paint drying or five day cricket???

It's a draw :devil: :devil: :D

regards
John

The only team game that can take 5 days to play and most of the players wont even touch the ball in that time.

How anyone can be declared a winner who hasnt even touched the ball in 5 days is beyond me. Ocassionally after a six or a four is scored the ball might take a slightly elongated route back to the bowler just to show (aka wake up) the majority of the team what the ball looks like!

Ripe for a massive overhaul.

Last edited:
Okay. I have absolutely no idea here. I know there's some very, very distant connection with American baseball (which many people also dislike for its "boredom"), but that whole wicket and bobbin and thimble and threads and spools is just beyond my ken.
Still, I'd give it a run if only because glojo seems crotchety, and of a similar outlook to myself.

I dimly recall a story about a fellow whose wife was supposed to be birthing twins, and when they'd found she was carrying at least triplets, he left the hospital and called in from the pub. He'd mistakenly gotten some sports line, and the punch line was something about the total being twenty, and the last one was a duck.

Last edited:
Okay. I have absolutely no idea here. I know there's some very, very distant connection with American baseball
:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Deep breath.......... Deep breath.............

It is a well known fact that Americans have to wear padding the instant they step onto a playing field but cricket having a connection with American baseball!!!!! Cricket was being played in Great Britain long before the United States of America became independant :D :mad: :mad: Cricket some connection with US baseball :mad: :mad: :mad: Do the fielding side in baseball all wear gloves and is that there wicket keeping type person a human being?? They wear so much padding it is so hard to tell :D :devil:

Cricket has some connection with American baseball :devil: :mad: :mad: :D :D Chunter, chunter

We tried educating our colonial friends by offering them tea at a discounted rate and look how they thanked us!!!

Cricket has some connection with American rounders!!!!!!!

Rounders is what school girls used to play and the Americans copied it and called it baseball :D :p

The only team game that can take 5 days to play and most of the players wont even touch the ball in that time.

How anyone can be declared a winner who hasnt even touched the ball in 5 days is beyond me. Ocassionally after a six or a four is scored the ball might take a slightly elongated route back to the bowler just to show (aka wake up) the majority of the team what the ball looks like!

Ripe for a massive overhaul.

It is in the process of overhaul, not by governing bodies of the sport, but by the players themselves. It is not often now you see a 5 day test, they are, more often than not, completed in 4 days with a winner, rain interuptions excluded. 20/20 is the obvious extension or reduction of the one day game.

:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :devil: :devil: :devil:

Deep breath.......... Deep breath.............

It is a well known fact that Americans have to wear padding the instant they step onto a playing field but cricket having a connection with American baseball!!!!! Cricket was being played in Great Britain long before the United States of America became independant :D :mad: :mad: Cricket some connection with US baseball :mad: :mad: :mad: Do the fielding side in baseball all wear gloves and is that there wicket keeping type person a human being?? They wear so much padding it is so hard to tell :D :devil:

Cricket has some connection with American baseball :devil: :mad: :mad: :D :D Chunter, chunter

We tried educating our colonial friends by offering them tea at a discounted rate and look how they thanked us!!!

Cricket has some connection with American rounders!!!!!!!

Rounders is what school girls used to play and the Americans copied it and called it baseball :D :p
Calm down John, all stick and ball games come from the same source just with different codes and laws that varied over time and from place to place. Stoolball, Pesa something or other and as you mentioned rounders all come from the same route and resemble cricket in some form.

Back on topic, I like Twenty/20 and if it gets kids into cricket I'm all for it. I would hope the sport is a broad enough church to accomodate all the variations or you'll end up with latter day splinter movements like baseball was in the 19th century.

I don't think the 5-day game is under threat from Twenty/20 much more the 40/50 overs one-day game.

Calm down John, all stick and ball games come from the same source just with different codes and laws that varied over time and from place to place. Stoolball, Pesa something or other and as you mentioned rounders all come from the same route and resemble cricket in some form..
Me thinks you take me tooo seriously? :devil: :D

Regards
John the serious

Cricket

You have two sides one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that goes in goes out and when he's out he come in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in out.

When both sides have been in and out including not outs, that's the end of the game.

HOWZAT!

:D

If England had won today's One Day International we would have seen a huge, huge row!

Thank goodness we lost and hopefully cricket can learn from today's events.

Regards
John

If England had won today's One Day International we would have seen a huge, huge row!

Thank goodness we lost and hopefully cricket can learn from today's events.

Regards
John

The expression "not cricket" was lost last night, Collingwood let win at all costs get to him. I know he has sinces appologised publically, but :(

The expression "not cricket" was lost last night, Collingwood let win at all costs get to him. I know he has sinces appologised publically, but :(
I accept what your saying but lets not forget the New Zealand team have previous for this type of incident.

Kumar Sangakkara had brought up his century with a neat flick down to third man. Murali finished the run, and without waiting for the ball to become dead, he motioned up the pitch to congratulate his team-mate. He had only advanced a few paces when the ball was returned from the deep and wicket-keeper Brendon McCullum promptly removed the bails, running him out.

It was a harsh act and Sri Lankan captain Mahela Jayawardene protested it was against the spirit of the game, but New Zealand captain Stephen Fleming pointed out that had the ball gone for overthrows, Sri Lanka would have gladly accepted them.

In some of the 20/20 games the prize money can be in excess of £0.5m the captain of any team is there to try and do what's best for his team! Should he risk loosing all that money just for the reputation of the game which to be honest.... is in tatters. What batsman now walks if they nick the ball? Even fielders are now regularly claiming to have caught a ball that has clearly grounded. I fear that the days of 'playing the game' are long gone and I personally find that sad. Cricket has always been a game for men but played in thne spirit of good sportsmanship, but enter money, exit sportsmanship.

regards
John

There. I knew we had a kindred outlook. :rock:
:D You guys can play a great game of football :devil: :devil: :devil: ;)

Yours sincerely
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom