Crime and punishment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Railwayman

SUPPORTER
Car
CLK 200
Was watching parts of the Ben Stokes trail today and wondered to myself if he were to be found guilty will his punishment match that of Joe Blogs after a similar punch up out side bars etc which occur every day of the year. Or will his high profile incur a much higher cost to him.
We should all be equal under the law and not sure of the fairness if treated differently. What do people think?

I've often thought fines should be a percentage of income.
Fixed cost fines potentially allow those with greater incomes to flout the law, as the penalty is relatively trivial to them e.g. parking/speeding fines. Even those fines with judicial discretion can be more affordable to those of higher income.
Custodial sentences should be equal across the wealth range, as time cost is very personal?

I would like to think that IF found guilty, his official penalty would be the same as Joe Bloggs. It’s the other penalties that will be far greater. No matter what the court decision he will be hounded by numbskulls who think it’s funny to goad him wherever he goes. And the same applies on the cricket field where opposition teams will be sledging him about it for years to come. Only he can decide whether or not he’s going to rise above it all.

I've often thought fines should be a percentage of income.
Fixed cost fines potentially allow those with greater incomes to flout the law, as the penalty is relatively trivial to them e.g. parking/speeding fines. Even those fines with judicial discretion can be more affordable to those of higher income.
Custodial sentences should be equal across the wealth range, as time cost is very personal?
So the unemployed don’t get any fines?

Was watching parts of the Ben Stokes trail today and wondered to myself if he were to be found guilty will his punishment match that of Joe Blogs after a similar punch up out side bars etc which occur every day of the year. Or will his high profile incur a much higher cost to him.
We should all be equal under the law and not sure of the fairness if treated differently. What do people think?
Didn’t we see this with the Ant Mcapartin case a few months back ?

Ever wondered how much reported income is filed by a drug dealer? You might want to think that one through.

No, i think what he means is that for most people, the loss of a weeks wage is at best inconvenient and at worst crippling

To a premiership footballer it's neglible.

Even the unemployed receive some 'income' in the form of benefits.
Yes, it's tax payers money but the point is the convicted individual will not receive a percentage of what they will be accustomed to receiving.

No, i think what he means is that for most people, the loss of a weeks wage is at best inconvenient and at worst crippling

To a premiership footballer it's neglible.

Then the victim or the victims family can sue. No reason for the government to demand more because he happens to be more successful.

Trouble is when fining the unemployed the tax payer will pay the fine one way or another, I see your point thou. Maybe make the bugger work for his benefits if fit and healthy.

More to the point why is it all over the news. I’m sure there’s real news to report on. Might be a distraction for the lack of reporting on paedophilic gangs etc.

It should make no difference that he's a sports person, and I really hope that it doesn't. - The fact the media is interested shouldn't have any baring on the courts.

As above, he's famous. If you read your local community newspaper it's probably got a similar story about how someone you haven't heard of started a fight outside a pub too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom