Crime maps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Satch

MB Enthusiast
Car
S211 E320Cdi Avantgarde Estate & Toyota Land Cruiser
Mrs S. has gotten all atwitch because we appear to be living in a veritable den of inquity, vast numbers of evil things being attributed to our postcode.

But Surrey police cannot tell us why this is so, having no recorded incidents in our immediate area. However, as we have three schools, a couple of residential nursing homes and a lot of small and unadopted road around us I can start to guess, because incidents are compiled so they they could have actually taken place in a number of surrounding roads or non residential addresses. If we ever try and sell and this BS is not corrected, it will be horrible!

Here are a couple of fine other examples

The Crescent, Horley.

56 reported incidents last December, apparently the joint-ninth worst spot in the country for anti-social behaviour. However, the actual number of anti-social behaviour reports in The Crescent in December 2010 was, errr, just a bit lower:

Surrey Plod: actually only one incident. The others are incidents elsewhere in Surrey that were passed on Sussex Police following mis-routed emergency calls. The redirected incidents reported by Sussex Police appear at this location because it is close to the Surrey/Sussex border.

Sussex Plod:the records related to Gatwick Airport, which is less than 100m from The Crescent but lies across the border in West Sussex. Because the Crime Mapper system does not automatically cover non-residential addresses, crime incident reports automatically default to the nearest residential address.

Kingswood Close Egham

Listed as the second most burgled street in England and Wales, with 10 offences in December, when it in fact had none.

The figures related to one single burglary that actually happened somewhere else

Runnymede Neighbourhood Inspector Roger Nield said: “Following the launch of the new crime mapping website, I feel it is important put the burglary figures for the Kingswood Close area of Egham into context.

“I would like to stress that no burglary offences have been recorded in Kingswood Close itself and that the numbers in question all relate to one incident. Although only one property was broken into, this was a building with multiple occupants."

The burglary took place at Royal Holloway halls of residence and items were taken from multiple student rooms within one building. Each one was then recorded as a separate offence and, once again, automatically defaulted to the nearest residential address.

Great.:doh:

Now the Home Office site is still a bit, er, shakey, However:

"Welcome to your alternative reliable local crime and policing website for England and Wales.This website was built in one evening on the 1st of Feb 2011 and provides you with helpful information about crime and policing in your area, without costing £300k of tax payers money.

Enter your postcode into the search box below, and get instant access to street-level crime "

CrimeSearch.co.uk - Reliable local crime and policing information for England and Wales

Hmm, I've just tried it, interestingly my neighbours burglary isn't showing up (was reported to the plod).
I'm surrounded by anti social behaviour reports on the site but that's Chav's for ya!

Is it a copy of this?

Is it a copy of this?

Uses the same open access data set but as stated took one evening of coding, did not cost £300k and actually works.

One of the top ten streets for most crimes in our town is where the police HQ is located:doh:

I'm not really sure what this map shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom