Criminal behaviour

• Thread starter Deleted member 65149
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 65149

Last Saturday was the 2nd anniversary of losing my younger sister in horrific circumstances, so I wasn’t at my best. Whilst doing a bit of therapeutic gardening I heard a diesel vehicle pull up and saw that it had stopped in my driveway. When the engine was turned off and the driver (a woman of not inconsiderable mass) got out and walked into next door I was not amused.

Ten minutes or so later she reappeared, got back into her car and started it - but didn’t drive off. I gathered together a stack of leaves, walked over to my garden refuse bin next to where she was parked and ‘said to myself’ reasonably loudly, “I wish I had my own driveway”.

Sat in her car she looked over to me and said, “Stop moaning, I’m not going to be here long”. I couldn’t help myself. “You’re right”, I replied, “You’ll get off my drive now!” After a few exchanges on the lines of “What harm am I doing” ... “You’re on my private property”, she shouted at me “Don’t be so f***ing stupid”. I berated her for her language in front of my neighbour’s 6 year old boy, but I she wasn’t bothered. The neighbour, having heard the “discussion”, called in her son. I tried asking the arrogant woman reasonably nicely to move off my drive but she refused, saying that she was waiting for someone. I suggested she wait in the road a few metres away at the end of my drive, but she was having none of it.

Fuming, I walked back to my garden before my depressive state caused me to lose it completely. But then I turned on my garden hose and walked back to my drive with it and started squirting water at the drive whilst saying I was washing it. Then “Oops”, I pointed the hose into her window instead of on the drive itself. Of course she closed the window, but stayed put with her engine still running. It took the guy next door to persuade his wife’s friend to eventually get off my drive.

Less than ten minutes later, a police car pulled up outside and an officer went in to my neighbour’s house. Yes, she’d called the police! A short while later he knocked on my door and came in to get my side of the story. I could tell that he could understand why I did what I did, but he had to advise me that squirting water at someone is classed as common assault. The ‘lady’ had decided not to press charges (how generous of her) but he had to record the incident as a criminal act because he’d been called out. I apologised for having been part of the cause of his time being wasted.

This evening, while watering the back garden I sprayed my little girl a few times as she ran laughing back and forth. Hopefully I don’t get reported for common assault against a minor!

I hope the incident hasn’t ruined your relationship with your neighbour.

Reactions: 219
It's just indicative of today's me me me attitude. So many people now think they can do whatever they like with no recourse but if you do try and put things "right" they complain about you. It sometimes appears that the law is on the side of the wrong doer and against the aggrieved.

I hope the incident hasn’t ruined your relationship with your neighbour.
Me too. I think we’re strong enough to let it pass. I haven’t seen them since.

It's just indicative of today's me me me attitude. So many people now think they can do whatever they like with no recourse but if you do try and put things "right" they complain about you. It sometimes appears that the law is on the side of the wrong doer and against the aggrieved.

I hate the “me me me“ and “I don’t care what other people think” attitude. Dealing with people who have this attitude can get very dangerous and things can escalate extremely quickly.

Couple this with the lack and disinterest from the police, soft sentences and the fact that you’re on social media instantly it’s no wonder society is so screwed up

I'm curious why you didn't just politely ask her to move when she returned?

Also worthwhile having a word with your neighbour about it.

I wouldn't even use someones drive to do a 3 point turn let alone stop my car in it.
Some people just have no manners at all.

Getting something (car/mower/trailer etc.) in front of their car to stop them getting out would have been my option.
I'd have kept them waiting for an hour or so to inconvenience them and if they touched my property called the police.

Isn't it illegal to sit with the engine running? Will she have that recorded against her.

I would have taken photo's and raised a parking charge against her. She is on your property and should pay a rental for being there. Getting courts to agree would be another matter though.

I'm curious why you didn't just politely ask her to move when she returned?

Also worthwhile having a word with your neighbour about it.

I wouldn't even use someones drive to do a 3 point turn let alone stop my car in it.
Some people just have no manners at all.

Getting something (car/mower/trailer etc.) in front of their car to stop them getting out would have been my option.
I'd have kept them waiting for an hour or so to inconvenience them and if they touched my property called the police.
I was hoping my broad hint was polite enough without risking my annoyance showing through. I failed.

I will be speaking to my neighbour about it when I next see them, and hopefully under calmer circumstances. There have been many occasions in the past when their visitors have parked in my driveway and I’ve mostly said nothing. I have asked them to ask their visitors not to park there and the main culprit has mostly stopped. This one caught me at a bad time.

Isn't it illegal to sit with the engine running? Will she have that recorded against her.

I would have taken photo's and raised a parking charge against her. She is on your property and should pay a rental for being there. Getting courts to agree would be another matter though.
It’s only illegal to sit with the engine running on the public highway. Despite what some people seem to think, my driveway isn’t part of the public highway!

The policeman who spoke to me said I should call the police if I have any further problems with people parking on my drive, but all they can do is have a word with the perpetrator. I don’t like to waste police time like the fat cow does!

Is it a shared drive?

What I mean is one of those that look like a nice wide driveway but has a marker down the centre to separate the two?

Is it a shared drive?

What I mean is one of those that look like a nice wide driveway but has a marker down the centre to separate the two?
Almost. It’s a triple width driveway with me owning the two-thirds that lead to the two doors of my double garage. There is no marker other than that I clean my part once a year. My part of the driveway is usually clear because my wife and I are strange people who use the garage for cars! I don’t mind people turning round in the driveway, but parking there is taking the piss.

You were lucky!
This bugger parked in my usual parking spot last week (not owned by me)
No chance of me giving him a piece of my my mind either - he was nearly as big as the Unimog and built like a brick outhouse!

Attachments

• 25CF402B-48E6-4D85-A26B-9BEAECF8256C.jpeg
    25CF402B-48E6-4D85-A26B-9BEAECF8256C.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 61
Almost. It’s a triple width driveway with me owning the two-thirds that lead to the two doors of my double garage. There is no marker other than that I clean my part once a year. My part of the driveway is usually clear because my wife and I are strange people who use the garage for cars! I don’t mind people turning round in the driveway, but parking there is taking the piss.
That type is often a problem, as yours is wider could you put a narrow fence up your side and gates across the end?

I had issues with a neighbour allowing his builders to park too close to my exit, it was resolved with some firm words from me.

In London we now have the trend of reserving and paying for driveway parking. What the Sun article is saying is that we can park there anyway, why pay?

Do we then have a right to put pig ugly signs up and clamp tiss pakers who feel they are right to use our maintained and (council) tax paid for driveways? That's all UK Parking C's do as far as I see.

That type is often a problem, as yours is wider could you put a narrow fence up your side and gates across the end?

I had issues with a neighbour allowing his builders to park too close to my exit, it was resolved with some firm words from me.
I have thought quite a lot about doing just that. The problem is that it would make it more difficult for my other lovely neighbour (and good friend) to turn around. It’s an odd shaped corner arrangement. She wouldn’t object at all, having had a couple of run ins with my neighbours the other side. And oddly enough I don’t really want to make life more difficult for the immediate ‘iffy’ neighbours who would struggle to park in front of their garage with their narrow driveway bounded on one side by a wall and the other by a new fence. But the next issue could change my mind!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom