Critical Mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MOCAŠ

MB Enthusiast
Car
SLK
Caught sight of my first Critical Mass London bike ride of 2012 last night.

Although I've never been on one (and can't see I ever will), I love to catch sight of one these monthly spectacles as they make their way northwards from the South Bank. They are generally very well organised, with a good proportion of hi-vi'd stewards on bikes or skates leading the way and dispersed amongst the throng.

You can hear them coming long before you see them thanks to the cacophonous whistles and blaring sound systems, usually borne along on pedicabs. On a warm, balmy evening such as last night, it makes for a real festival atmosphere, and is one of those things that truly enlivens London life.

There's also something wonderfully anarchic about seeing 'corking' in action, whereby the stewards hold back green-light traffic at junctions to allow the ride to snake its way past uninterrupted. Seasoned Londoners that have grown used to these rides over the years know to just sit back and enjoy the spectacle for the minute or two it takes to pass. Some of them even join in the fun by honking their horns enthusiastically...

Some footage of a past event:

[YOUTUBE]5Tb3v31gcF4[/YOUTUBE]

So, besides going through red lights themselves they now expect other road users not to go through greens ;)

[popcorn]

So, besides going through red lights themselves they now expect other road users not to go through greens

Seems a reasonable idea and it happens for all types of road uses, such as running races, etc.

Getting 500 bikes to stop then go again would take a lot more time and cause major delays for ALL road users.
Note the Motorcycle Cop doing the corking.

I'm not sure the horn honking is all in good spirits.

Does it end up at a Pub...?? :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure the horn honking is all in good spirits.

This.

As a cyclist and a petrol head I stopped going due to the incredibly antagonistic behaviour of a small element.

Shame really.

Shame the cop didn't do some booking for riding with no lights...

If all road users were to cease concentrating upon exercising their rights and instead pay more attention to their responsibilities to others, life would be much simpler.

If all road users were to cease concentrating upon exercising their rights and instead pay more attention to their responsibilities to others, life would be much simpler.

If that was practised in all walks of life, what a great place it would be...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom