Croatia - Kuna or Euro

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C240Sport97

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
SL400, VW California Coast and 911 GT3
Anyone know whether it’s cheaper to buy Kuna cash in the UK or take Euros cash to spend in Croatia?

We are cruising around the islands away from cities, so am expecting credit cards to not be widely accepted.

Suggestions please.

Guess Euro's as local currency for most if not all countries seems to be dearer if you buy it in uk. But saves needing to obtain some in the airport though! Buy a little for convenience on arrival and take Euro's / Sterling is my usual route for most of the countries I visit, except those with closed currency like Tunisia

Some places will only accept Kuna, like the official 'walk around the walls' of Dubrovnik despite it being a very touristy place. There's no real rhyme or reason as to who will and who won't take Euros, so a mixture of both would be my advice.

I have recently been to Split and Dubrovnik and was advised to take Kuna but nearly everywhere took Euro's despite it not being legal currency, so we were told.

Hi,
We were in Zagreb and Pula last summer and used both.
Cheers
Steve

They were very relaxed about taking Euro when I went there

Credit cards may not be widely accepted, but debit cards definitely are. - There were a couple of street vendors with USB card readers and a laptop that were quite happy to take payment that way last time we were in Dubrovnik.
(Before anyone suggests it; no additional monies left our account at the time, or since.)

We just took Kuna out of the ATM.

I've been to lots of places and nobody's ever refused their own currency. True, you might get a better rate with something hard (dollars work everywhere, I've found) but it's always worth carrying some local as walking about money..

Croatia is lovely - we went to Zagreb a couple of years ago and enjoyed it (although the earthquake was interesting - apparently it's a bit lively tectonically over there!) so have a great trip.

Cheers,

Gaz

I was in St. Petersburg towards the end of the Gorbachev era, when I offered roubles to pay for something they shook their head and said "Dollars".

I was in St. Petersburg towards the end of the Gorbachev era, when I offered roubles to pay for something they shook their head and said "Dollars".

I lived and worked there at that time, USD $ ruled, Sterling not accepted except at banks

We went to porec last year. We just took Sterling and got them changed up in the local town.
Took enough kuna for the first day or so.
Every bank or money changer we visited took £££.

I've been to lots of places and nobody's ever refused their own currency. True, you might get a better rate with something hard (dollars work everywhere, I've found) but it's always worth carrying some local as walking about money..

Croatia is lovely - we went to Zagreb a couple of years ago and enjoyed it (although the earthquake was interesting - apparently it's a bit lively tectonically over there!) so have a great trip.

Cheers,

Gaz
US dollars not liked in Cuba, certainly not off the beaten track , if they are accepted the exchange rate is not good.

We took a couple of hundred quids worth of kuna both times we’ve been and then just used the cash machines when we’ve needed more cash
We’ve also used one of those money cards from the travel agents and had no issues with it

Hope you enjoy yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom