Crossfire RIP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HumberMart

Car
CL500 4.7 twin turbo
My lucky day, the wife decided to crash test the Crossfire, fortunately she survived to tell the tale.

484621_10151111395379096_160872904_n.jpg

She was driving up the A18 out of Scunthorpe after a shopping trip this afternoon, and came across the freak thunderstorm that passed through the area.

At the time she was doing 65-70 and overtaking cars. On entering the heavy rain, she tried to slow down but the car spun out of control and she ended up in the left verge, crashing through small trees, before coming to a rest at the lamp post.

Amazingly walked out with cuts and bruises, released from hospital, and then cautioned about a possible driving without due care offence by the police!

The policeman himself said he's never seen a storm like it, but seeing as she was the only car to crash, it is possible they may decide she was driving too fast for the conditions. First time I've heard it suggested that if more people had crashed, she may have more of a chance of not been charged!

Oh well, we'll wait and see. Who will give most hassle, the police or the insurers.

We've had two Crossfires, and I've found them both to be potentially unstable when braking from high speed. I don't think it will have helped that the car had been stood unused for 8 months until 3 weeks ago, when it was MOT'd and taxed. I'm sure it will have pulled to one side due maybe to uneven discs but either way the police may still prosecute.:mad:

Well firstly I'm glad she is OK and lived to tell the tale, metal can always be replaced :thumb:

I got caught in that this afternoon too on the M180 it was horrendous I was down to about 45 mph I just couldn't see to drive any faster, it really was a freak downpour the carriageway was just like a river grip was very difficult.

I wouldn't worry too much about the police if there were no other cars involved and no one injured the cps won't pursue it as it's not in the public's interest. I would expect a good lecture about inappropriate driving for the conditions but I doubt it will go past that. If it does PM me as I have seen this thing before and it's always been dropped on lack of proof or evidence when challenged.

Glad it all ended with the right result, good luck with the insurers :thumb:

She probably did what I did back in 2009 and hit a puddle due to the roads not draining properly. It's like hitting an invisible brick wall and can cause the car to spin if it is biased to one side of the car.

Glad she is ok.

As above, the main thing is that she is ok.

Glad to hear your wife is OK.

I wonder, is it possible that the tyres had developed flat spots if the car had been standing for eight months? Not sure whether an MoT would have picked this up, as they mainly seem to be concerned with tread depth and sidewall condition.

I know when I had my Fabia recommissioned after it had sat unused for a year, it needed four new tyres due to flat-spotting.

Glad to hear your Mrs. is OK, you can always get another car.

Cheers,

Gaz

Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt.

Shude is proably closest to what actually happened.

Water braking hard on one side coupled with a degree of aquaplane could cause the spin in the wet.

Lucky woman.

Lucky to have missed a larger more mature tree which would have been less forgiving.

Glass of wine this evening to celebrate life.

Glad she's ok. All that matter really!

Doubt the police would take it further. Usually referred to in common parlance as "an accident."

Glad your wife is ok :thumb:

Well firstly I'm glad she is OK and lived to tell the tale, metal can always be replaced :thumb:

I got caught in that this afternoon too on the M180 it was horrendous I was down to about 45 mph I just couldn't see to drive any faster, it really was a freak downpour the carriageway was just like a river grip was very difficult.

I wouldn't worry too much about the police if there were no other cars involved and no one injured the cps won't pursue it as it's not in the public's interest. I would expect a good lecture about inappropriate driving for the conditions but I doubt it will go past that. If it does PM me as I have seen this thing before and it's always been dropped on lack of proof or evidence when challenged.

Glad it all ended with the right result, good luck with the insurers :thumb:
from a ex policeman's view that's what i would have said to your wife im glad she is ok rain like that catches a lot of people out like that:eek:

Glad the Mrs is OK. Likewise don't think there will be any prosecution.

Edit and PS.

Perhaps not quite RIP Crossfire. I know of someone looking for a crossfire engine if yours is still a runner.

Last edited:
If she's been cautioned the current trend is to offer a course, I have just done one, it's not a bad course but it is 150 quid or more.

Big floaty tyres on those Crossfires with little in the way of a "tail" extending behind the rear axle line to provide aerodynamic drag/ self centering /sideways resistance to rotational movement at speed. Glad the missus is OK. :thumb:

If she's been cautioned the current trend is to offer a course, I have just done one, it's not a bad course but it is 150 quid or more.
Times are hard. Gotta increase revenue somehow. I know, let's dress it up as a road safety measure :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the well wishes. She's doing remarkably well but very stiff and sore as expected.

Nothing from the police yet, but I feel worse than her. Just checked her policy and now that discount for a large xs doesn't seem such a good deal. £1250. Ouch !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom