Crossing Continents (or the Channel, anyway)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markjay

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 RWD / 2016 Suzuki Vitara AWD
Last time I used the Eurotunnel was in 1998 driving a friend's 280SEL back from Paris.

I am planning a trip to Paris and back in January... this time with a pet.

Well the pet is going one way, coming back without it (the pet and Mrs. MJ continue their journey by plane).

Any tips and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Eurostar ?

Or do you need to take a vehicle and risk damage from the Parisien drivers
?

Assuming that you're taking the car (Eurotunnel) and not going on foot (Eurostar), then...

If you have a Tesco Clubcard, use their voucher scheme to pay for the crossing in full or in part: they're worth 3 times their face value against a Eurotunnel fare.

Remember that you need to provide Advance Passenger Information for Eurotunnel now in the same way as for a flight. If you don't then expect delays at customs. And talking of delays...

It's always worth turning up a bit early if you're not travelling at peak times as you can often get on an earlier train than the one you booked, but also be prepared for your scheduled train to be cancelled or delayed. My experience is that the service is becoming more unreliable as the rolling stock ages.

Eurostar ?

Or do you need to take a vehicle and risk damage from the Parisien drivers
?

Eurostar don't take pets.... :(

Driving Mrs. MJ to CDG airport, do avoiding Paris traffic.

...It's always worth turning up a bit early if you're not travelling at peak times as you can often get on an earlier train than the one you booked, but also be prepared for your scheduled train to be cancelled or delayed. My experience is that the service is becoming more unreliable as the rolling stock ages.

Thanks.

How long does the boarding process take?

I am not fussed about delays, the actual flight is on the following day.

The plan is to stay overnight in a hotel along the route anyway, walk the dog in the area etc. It's not a rushed journey.

How long does the boarding process take?
Officially, you need to check in a minimum of 30 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time which should allow enough time to get through Customs and onto the train. When it all goes smoothly it works like a dream and you literally drive through check in, get waved through Customs and straight onto a train in less than 10 minutes, but in my experience checking in at last knockings is a risky option if you're travelling in a busy period, or if there have been earlier departures delayed or cancelled.

The last call for the train is usually around 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time which should allow you sufficient time to clear the Customs checks and board the train. However, as the Customs checks seem to be taking longer and longer there's often a big enough queue at busy times that you end up being bounced onto the next available train, which means you'll spend a minimum of an extra 20 minutes in the embarkation lanes.

Their ANPR system is pretty good, if you've entered the car reg when booking just drive up to one of the unattended barriers, your reg will be recognised and the screen will be showing your booking. A few screen taps and your boarding pass is printed! Haven't tried it coming back as we often use the 2 hours grace each side of your booking that they allow you. Also be aware that a "day trip" ticket is actually valid to midnight the day after you travel over! I've used a Clubcard vouchers booking (which has to be made 14 days before travel, the voucher code arrives almost instantaneously by email), £20 of clubcard vouchers buys a £60 day trip - we had a night near Epernay and came back late the following day!

We drive over to Germany pretty regularly with the dogs and it's fast and easy. We always turn up early and at least 75% of the time get on an earlier train ... even where that one would have been more expensive to book ;)

I'm not sure I'm going to use them next year. They seem to push the prices up and up, and it takes only a minor issue to turn into a big delay.

Coming back from Le Mans last year, I arrived at Calais at more or less the same time as my brother, he was on the Tunnel I was on the Ferry. We were in Yorkshire (and towing a Caravan) before he left the tunnel car.

Well the tunnel is fairly easy,as posted if you get their early you may well get a earlier train,I would strongly advise to have a decent Halfords sat nav one that will give you the speed limits on the french roads and warn you if you are speeding,the old bill over there haunt the first 40 miles of roads from the tunnel,you are in no rush so take it easy,do not stop in any other place than a big services,if you have a nearside mirror set so when you reverse you can see the rear wheel ,it might be better to reset it as you will need this to give a clear view of your offside .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom