Croydon Shooting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MB Club Veteran
Car
Not always
I read earlier this morning the tragic news about the police officer who was shot inside a police station by a person under arrest .

How is it possible that a person under arrest was able to walk into a police station carrying a gun , and able to access it

Were they neither handcuffed nor searched ?

There is nothing to confirm that the person was in possession of the firearm when they were brought in to custody and under certain circumstances they may not have been required to be searched or handcuffed for that matter.

Whatever the circumstances, a very sad day in the history of Policing. Thoughts to the officers family and those affected.

Reactions: 219
There is nothing to confirm that the person was in possession of the firearm when they were brought in to custody and under certain circumstances they may not have been required to be searched or handcuffed for that matter.

Whatever the circumstances, a very sad day in the history of Policing. Thoughts to the officers family and those affected.

Just going by what the BBC published ...

“The male officer was shot in the chest when a man, who was being detained, produced a weapon during a search. The suspect then turned the gun on himself.”

It reads as though he had the gun on his person ?

Fair point, several articles I have read this morning (not incl the BBC) didn't allude to that. Perhaps as they are only drip feeding the information, more things come to light given the passage of time.

Fair point, several articles I have read this morning (not incl the BBC) didn't allude to that. Perhaps as they are only drip feeding the information, more things come to light given the passage of time.
There is also a statement from a senior officer that the suspect may have been in to visit someone ( although elsewhere it said he was ‘being detained’ ) so , clearly , this is at an early stage and little is either known , or at least being released .

It is all the more sad that the officer shot was just short of retirement.

What a tragic event at Croydon police station today.
From what I have read, the suspect was being booked in and was alleged to have been arrested for possession of illegal ammunition.
He may have also been on a terror watchlist!
Sounds on the face of it as some sort of massive failure of the checking systems - especially if he arrived with a loaded firearm.
I am sure the station was covered by CCTV as well as body worn cameras.
Let’s hope that serious lessons are learnt - to prevent this happening again.

So sad for the officer involved and his family. He may not have been on the front line, but the police service are all that stands between law-abiding citizens and those who will not think twice about breaking the rules to suit their own ends and he was part of that machine. Perhaps he also served on the front line in his younger days.

Although I often criticise the police for being too politicised these days, no officer should be attacked, let alone murdered. Mandatory life imprisonment should be the minimum sentence for this, as in P.C. Harper's case.

Very tragic and very sad.

...“The male officer was shot in the chest when a man, who was being detained, produced a weapon"...

Well, starting from this point - how does a person in custody at a police station "produces a weapon"? Then take it from there...

More details were released recently, BTW, it seems the suspect was already locked in a cell, when the police sergeant opened the cell door in order to take his tempreture as part as the police COVID procedures.

Should be Mandatory DEATH.
That debate rumbles on , but if it were ever sanctioned I would include murderers , rapists , paedophiles and drug dealers as eligible for it , subject to consideration by three high court judges .

I don’t think it should be a routine sentence , but it should be available for the most serious crimes , and only imposed by a panel of judges ( that way no single judge need have it on their conscience ) .

Oddly enough , I believe capital punishment is still available for high treason , but has never been used in recent years ?

Well, starting from this point - how does a person in custody at a police station "produces a weapon"? Then take it from there...

More details were released recently, BTW, it seems the suspect was already locked in a cell, when the police sergeant opened the cell door in order to take his tempreture as part as the police COVID procedures.

I could just about understand it if it happened while he was being admitted ( if not searched at the point of being arrested ) ; but how on earth does someone get put in a cell without being searched ??? Usually , AIUI , they take things like shoelaces , belts , neckties , check for knives etc , so you cannot harm yourself .

This is incredible .

I could just about understand it if it happened while he was being admitted ( if not searched at the point of being arrested ) ; but how on earth does someone get put in a cell without being searched ??? Usually , AIUI , they take things like shoelaces , belts , neckties , check for knives etc , so you cannot harm yourself .

This is incredible .

Speculation: the suspect wasn't fully searched prior to the temperature check, due to COVID-related concerns regarding the officers' health when conducting a full and proper search on the suspects body.

Speculation: the suspect wasn't fully searched prior to the temperature check, due to COVID-related concerns regarding the officers' health when conducting a full and proper search on the suspects body.
If true , a sad reflection on current times .

Procedures will need to be reviewed ; I’m sure it is already under discussion.

initial thoughts : search teams wear face masks/nitrile gloves for some protection against virus , and Kevlar vests for protection against assault ?

Other option is to have suspects strip naked behind bulletproof glass panel , leave all clothing at one side of room , and don paper suit before coming out .

Last edited:
There should be a law bought out , that if anyone that is found with a firearm , without a FAC then they should get 20 years in jail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom