Cruel cooking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

coupe deville

Car
93 E320 coupe sportline facelift
Bought a book today from a charity shop for 50p., "The Complete Colour Cookbook" first published in 1977. Thought it a bargain until I saw this recipe, and its put me right off
Dressed Crab
If the crab is alive put it in a large saucepan. Cover it with salted water and bring slowly to the boil. Boil steadily for 10-15 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave to cool in the liquid.
YOU CANT BE SERIOUS WOMAN !!!!
I think I'll turn veggie

It's always best to douse your crabs with boiling, salted water...

It doesn't get rid of them but makes you think twice before risking getting them again...

It's always best to douse your crabs with boiling, salted water...

It doesn't get rid of them but makes you think twice before risking getting them again...

Walked [sideways] into that one didn't I -------- doh !

Bought a book today from a charity shop for 50p., "The Complete Colour Cookbook" first published in 1977. Thought it a bargain until I saw this recipe, and its put me right off
Dressed Crab
If the crab is alive put it in a large saucepan. Cover it with salted water and bring slowly to the boil. Boil steadily for 10-15 minutes, then turn off the heat and leave to cool in the liquid.
I think I'll turn veggie

yep, shellfish is a cruel but delicious game :)

Definitely cook and eat the crab. They make for rubbish pets anyway.

Dressed Crab
I think I'll turn veggie

Don't forget to put a brick on top of the lid to stop the bugger escaping.

Put rubber bands around its claws.

Otherwise it'll reach out & turn the gas off.

RH

As someone who has picked his own camel to eat I find the way that crab is killed to be surprisingly dignified.

Dave!

Lobsters need to be cooked alive as well... something about food poisoning and bacteria multiplying...

welcome to the kitchen ;)

I am sure Dudley Moore and Peter Cooke once told me something about Lobsters.........but I forget what it was now........

Mmmmm Camels toe!

thats it I'm definitley going veggie

Whats that love, yes I'm up here on the computer
cup of tea and a bacon butty ? lovely
can you bring it up I'm busy posting at the minute

Back in '76, six of us took a cottage in Brittany. Went to Concarneau and bought a couple of crabs and a huge bag of langoustines and drove back with them all leaping about on our knees.

As the pan of water boiled we had a splendid crab race along the kitchens' flagstones - taking bets. As the creatures eventually slid into the water they sighed and muttered imprecations at us. Tasted good, but!

In those days, of course, our Gallic neighbours used to sell live rabbits and hens, tied in pairs by their ears or feet and slung over each side of a pole.

Happy days...

We usually have octopus for Sunday lunch.
Tastes disgusting, but everyone gets a leg.

I'll get my coat........

While on topic... (I've finished having lunch, so I'll put you off yours :p)

Lobsters and crab tend to "scream" as the steam escapes the shells...

Pigs (as in walking bacon rolls) are furry beasts, and slaugterhouses have been known to burn/boil off the hair while they are still alive. This has been known to happen with cows as well (even in "humane" slaughterhouses - the electric shock doesn't always work)

Humans are omnivores by tradition. We have the teeth to eat meat and grass. We are violent, unpleasant and probably smell quite bad to anything other than other humans. When people eat is up to them really... I'm just happy I have the choice to eat at all. I grew up in a country where people starved to death - I've learnt to try everything (within reason, so don't offer me cyanide :p).

My motto? If there is a culture that eats it, and I haven't tried it yet, I'm willing to try it :)

Come to Italy, we eat:
-Rabbit
-Snails
-Cats
-Horses
-Donkeys
-Pizzas
-Sea snails and other shelled squirmies
-Raw beef
-Raw fish
-Octopus & other pluri-tentacles sea things
-Live seafood...

and a range of other things :) Welcome to the table ;)

M.

Next time you are in Scandinavia try Lutefisk.

See what you think of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom