• electronics

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • engine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • general

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A ANDERSON

Car
110CDI TRAVELINER
After been told by our main agent that it is a simple job to fit cruise control to my 110cdi traveliner, I had the switch fitted at the same time as a new horn switch as they are in the same area.
Then at the main agents who in my personal opinion are not to good, They proceed to program the cruise control, which after 2 hours they failed to do. The forman came out and said he was sorry that they could not do the job and if the cruise control switch was removed they would refund the cost.
The reason they gave after being in touch with the technical services, was it would not work because my car was not fitted with abs. I am confused because othe cars do not need abs to make their cruise control systems work?. Can anyone explain in rather simple terms why this is so, or indeed if it is true.

I would be most gratefull for any replies or information
many thanks ANDY

Last edited:
Originally posted by A ANDERSON
The reason they gave after being in touch with the technical services, was it would not work because my car was not fitted with abs. I am confused because othe cars do not need abs to make their cruise control systems work?. Can anyone explain in rather simple terms why this is so, or indeed if it is true.
I have heard that MB only fitted the cruise control option to the R129 SL models if they also had ASR/ESP. Steve (aka MBenzNL) was able to fit the lever and plug it into the spare wires under the dashboard and it worked fine dispite his car not having the "required" ESP/ASR option.

I suspect that this may also be true of your Van. The only other thing to remember is that if the brake sensor fails on a model with ASR/ESP the cruise control is disabled. Maybe if you don't have the brake sensors required by ASR/ESP/BAS or ABS then cruise control will never work.

BTW, very inventive use of the poll! Are we to vote which section of the forum this thread ends up in? I think electronics would be the best place... :)

I would think it's simply because a vehicle without ABS does not have any speed pulse signals (apart from speedo). The cruise control would use these speed pulse signals to control the speed of the vehicle.

It probably is possible to do but unless it can be simply plugged in, many dealers (not just MB!) wouldnt want the hassle.

I have heard of people buying aftermarket cruise control units and fitting the oem lever to control it. Almost like a factory mod but without the tutting and shaking of heads at the stealership to go with it :)

EDIT: with 2 votes for electronics and no others, I think it is unanimous this thread should be shifted to elec... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom