Cruise control disengaging. 1989 300SE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
I've just been to stock up on important items (beer) and on a nice long stretch of road I flicked the cruise on. All was well for a mile or so but then the cruise decided to switch its self off. (Maybe it's very clever and realised I was getting close to the shop)

Shop done and back driving the car, I try cruise again but it almost instantly disengages. It did the same a few more times till I gave up.

Cruise control is something I have never worked on, so any tips and pointers would be gratefully received.

Ta,
Stu

Having had a think on this, the brake light switch seems to be the logical first port of call.

The tyres are all the same make and size and only a few months old.
I havent checked the pressure in a while I must admit :eek: But would different pressures cause this issue?

The tyres are all the same make and size and only a few months old.
I havent checked the pressure in a while I must admit :eek: But would different pressures cause this issue?

It's the wheel speed sensors that kick cruise control out most of the time, so tyre sizes or actual faulty sensors are worth investigating along with the brake switch.

Wouldn't I get the ABS light with faulty sensors?

So that's the sensors out of the equation.

Is there an ECU for the cruise control? Or a relay?

Should have said, check out the interweb for faulty Cruise Control Amplifiers. That's what went on my W124.

Ooo I hope it ain't that. It sounds expensive, even in second hand form :eek:

Last edited:
Ooo I hope it ain't that. It sounds expensive, even in second hand form :eek:

From what I recall it's a very common fault. Mine was cured with a used replacement amp that had been repaired and from what I understand they are very easy to repair too according to guy that fixed my C/control.

The most common fault with the CC amplifier is cracked joints, where the connector is soldered to the board. If you're in any way handy with a soldering iron it's worth resoldering all the joints and giving it another go.

Thanks gentlemen. I've repaired a few OVP's and ECU's in my time, so I'll g.I've it a go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom