Cruise control / Resume

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halcyon Days

Car
CLK 350 Sport
i took the car to the Loire this week and loved it (Car & Loire!).. but small thing about the cruise control..
the resume is all a bit "frantic", isn't it?
cruising at about 135kph, dropping down to 115kph, press resume (in "C" mode) and the car drops a couple of cogs and floors it back up to 135!

It's all very exciting the first few times, but after that, it seems a little un-subtle when you storm past another car with a loud "WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!" :rock:

surely there's enough torque for it to accelerate 20kph in a slightly more.. "gracious" way?

Or am I missing the point somewhat?? :-D lols....

It behaved like that on my W202 and does it on my W203 too.

Just to be clear, both my cars behave(d) in 'pedal to the metal' mode on 'Resume'.

Last edited:
Wow, this is interesting. My W210 and W211 are not doing that either. Quite decent acceleration only.

Mine 'resumes' quite quickly but doesn't seem to change down like you describe.

lol.. What have i started??

Ok, just to clarify, it doesn't go "mental" - at 90mph it's running at just under 2500rpm, when I hit resume, it dropped at least one cog, sometimes 2, but didn't rev above 3500rpm, maybe 3750rpm and as soon as it got back t cruising speed, it changed up to 6th / 7th again pretty quickly too

I believe that someone did some test on a W203. If you are cruising then the CC slowly builds the speed up. If you are hammering it the CC will also hammer....

When I bought my first Merc, a 260E, I was told not to exceed 300rpm for the first 1000 miles or so. Well, on a trip to Brum on the M5, ran through some road works and had to slow down to just under 40mph. My cruise was set at.........a bit faster shall we say. 3000 rpm after all equated to about 95 which in top so I thought hit the resume and it will gently accelerate to my previous speed. Well, on a 5 speed box, it dropped two gears and accelerated at a pace I could not achieve even if I had both feet on the pedal and dented the floor. Needless to say, the car well and truly went over 3000rpm, from memory it redlined at about 7000. My other Mercs act the same, but diesels seem not to be quite so frantic, good fun though :D

I believe that someone did some test on a W203. If you are cruising then the CC slowly builds the speed up. If you are hammering it the CC will also hammer....

I don't hammer it, not even close, but my W203 always does when resuming CC :dk:

Hi,
I believe the cruise control resumes its previously set speed by the same way it got there when it was originally set e.g., if you accelerated hard and set cruise then it will accelerate hard when you resume. If you accelerate gently then set it then it will accelerate gently when you resume. I think this is only on vehicles with traction control, possibly just ESP.
There was a long thread on this on here or the other forum, though some people thought the above was true, where as others said it made no difference.

My C220 CDI (W203) is also very keen to get back to the previously set speed.

If the rate of acceleration is embarrasing (fast), why not accelerate yourself (using the loud pedal) to your previouly set speed and only then press 'resume'? Just a suggestion.

Yeah my C220 CDI S203 quite often kicks down when resuming its speed too, soon settles down again though.

Surprising no-one's done a recode for this.

Our SL and the Vito both resume the set speed without dropping a gear (unless you're going up a hill for example). Will have a play with the S203 next time I drive that - could be a 7G thing?

Remembered to try this with our S203 and yes it does drop a gear and accelerate quite hard! So I can only conclude that it is something to do with the 7-speed box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom