Cruise control 'trick'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexmoon

Car
W211 270CDi
Just got an auto box E Class 270CD1. Guy who had one told me about a cruise control trick for sitting at lights. Can't recall the detail but it was something to do with rather than sitting still in Drive with foot on brake, you do something with cruise control then flick the CC stalk and car pulls away itself.

Can anyone explain this to me?

It's not really a trick, when in drive you pull the cruise control stick back and it will revert to the last programmed speed setting, although that may only be relevant to your current journey. Not sure if it will work from standstill though.

the minimum speed for normal cruise operation is 25mph, unless the "trick" allows you to engage it at a lower speed?

is this distronic, and does it work from speed down to a stop and back? Ins't that only on the lastest "S/CL"

I think there maybe confusion between the differing distronics and speedtronic here. sounds like sales guy guff to me.

selecting 'resume' on the stalk will make the car pull away on it's own up to your previously set speed (on that journey).

Not really a trick and not really very useful either - I find I have a lot more control over the car when my feet are on the pedals :)

I don't think this is the normal CC resume feature, it should not work even with Distronic, it does work with Distronic Plus (with the short range radar system at bumpers).

This must be related to the SBC feature where the car decelerates automatically, cannot remember how it works from the CC stalk though and I've never used the resume on a W211 (I use it all the time with the 221 but that is quite different)?

I think this is referring to SBC-STOP function, deleted from cars in mid 2004. In traffic (below 20mph-ish), the Cruise Control stalk switches operation from cruise / limit to the SBC-STOP function which allows the car to be driven and brought to a halt without the use of the brake pedal. Fantastic in slow moving stop-start traffic, but very disconcerting I found - the vehicle stops itself as soon as you lift your foot from the accelerator (you hope).

If your car is a pre mid 2004 211 it will have this feature.

I think this is referring to SBC-STOP function, deleted from cars in mid 2004. In traffic (below 20mph-ish), the Cruise Control stalk switches operation from cruise / limit to the SBC-STOP function which allows the car to be driven and brought to a halt without the use of the brake pedal. Fantastic in slow moving stop-start traffic, but very disconcerting I found - the vehicle stops itself as soon as you lift your foot from the accelerator (you hope).

This is affirmitive. You will see SBC-S on the bottom of your cluster display. I like the function and don't wanna miss it anymore.

Last edited:
This is affirmitive. You will see SBC-S on the bottom of your cluster display. I like the function and don't wanna miss it anymore.

This is very interesting because SBC functions appear to be almost
mythical resulting from my enquiries.

I have a late pre facelift W211 & it does not appear to have any additional features at all.

Were they all removed towards the end of production ?

splitpin

I have to leave in about 30 min or so then I will take a picture of the cluster display. What MY is your car?

This is very interesting because SBC functions appear to be almost
mythical resulting from my enquiries.

I have a late pre facelift W211 & it does not appear to have any additional features at all.

Were they all removed towards the end of production ?

splitpin

Only early 211's had SBC-stop. 2002-2004 cars IIRC.

Splitpin, yours will not have SBC brakes at all. A conventional servo set up with some functions of the prefacelift cars. It will have a hold feature and thats it.

Splitpin, yours will not have SBC brakes at all. A conventional servo set up with some functions of the prefacelift cars. It will have a hold feature and thats it.

Categorically it has, Steve, together with a very noisy pump, & is awaiting the larger diameter pipe modification on the next fluid change.

Splitpin

I think this is referring to SBC-STOP function, deleted from cars in mid 2004.

Didn't realise I had this :D. Had a play with it today and it seemed a bit gimmicky at first but actually in stop start traffic it's quite useful (providing you don't get too close to the guy in front of course).

As indicated earlier can also be flicked on when sat at lights but in this regard basically works same as SBC Hold which I currently use so don't know if I'd use it for this.

This is the full information, have a good read...

SBC STOP

The system offers several additional functions besides a new braking behavior, due to its electronic brain: In stop-and-go traffic the vehicle brakes automatically, when the foot is lifted off the accelerator pedal ("Traffic Jam Assist"). It can be engaged under 10 MPH, using the the cruise control lever and switches off automatically at higher speeds. It remains active under 40 MPH. When engaged the instrument cluster indicates "SBC S". One can also activate it on downhill slopes via cruise control, so the car won't speed over the set limit. It was deleted starting with MY 2005.

SBC SOFT STOP

is not yet released, though few people are aware of it since Mercedes advertises it already. It might be released lateron. In city traffic soft-stop supposedly allows soft, jerkless stopping. Not sure if it's needed since SBC brakes can be modulated well, with good feel.

SBC HOLD

A "drive-away assistant" prevents the vehicle from rolling backwards or forward when starting on a hill or steep incline. A firm push onto the brake pedal, and the car remains stopped, even when taking the foot off the brake pedal, until the driver accelerates and the vehicle begins to roll. When set, the instrument cluster indicates SBC HOLD. I like using this function and miss it when switching back to other cars. As far as I know it was first introduced in the spring of 2003 in the 04 E-class Estate and lateron in the 2004 SLs.

DRY BRAKE

And finally there is the dry brake function. It is always activated when the windshield wipers run. The system then knows, that it rains and, with short brake pulses unnoticed by the driver, keeps the brake discs always dry and fully functional.

Cars with SBC
Mercedes SL roadster (R230)
Mercedes E-Class sedan (W211) and Estate (S211) until mid 2006
Mercedes E-Class 4matic sedan (W211) and 4matic Estate (S211) until mid 2006
Mercedes SLR (C199)
Maybach 57 and 62 (W240)
Mercedes CLS coupe (C219) until mid 2006

I miss SBC-S , Had it on my 2004 S211 :) Infact i miss the hold function on my W204 tbh , wish they did it on all their cars.

[...]As far as I know it was first introduced in the spring of 2003 in the 04 E-class Estate and lateron in the 2004 SLs. [...]

Only the Estate or the sedans as well? It wouldn't make sense to limit this feature to the estates only.

Would there be a way to enable it via Developer-Kit SDS?

Categorically it has, Steve, together with a very noisy pump, & is awaiting the larger diameter pipe modification on the next fluid change.

Splitpin

So sorry misread your post, I read it as a late facelifted 211, as you said its a late prefacelift car like mine.

So sorry misread your post, I read it as a late facelifted 211, as you said its a late prefacelift car like mine.

In some respects I wish it was a late facelift !

Yes, its quite close to yours in production terms & I watch your problems with particular
interest.

I still do not appear to have any of the SBC extra functions but will do some more research.

Splitpin

In some respects I wish it was a late facelift !

Yes, its quite close to yours in production terms & I watch your problems with particular
interest.

I still do not appear to have any of the SBC extra functions but will do some more research.

Splitpin

My car is a 2004 and does not have any extra SBC functions :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom