Cruise Control

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
E 220CDI Estate
The cruise control on my 2008 E class brakes the car if the speed goes over that set on the cruise control. Does it have to be like that?

It seems to me that if I am descending a hill where - assisted by gravity - the speed would increase, the cruise control applies the brakes, thereby wasting energy and wearing out the braking components.

Can I get it changed?

Dont think so try using the tip tronic on the gearbox and dropping down a couple of gears and use engine braking so that the cc doesnt feel the need to apply brakes to maintain the speed.

I think it only kicks in with the brakes when the speed goes approx 5 mph over the speed set by the driver.

The cruise control on my 2008 E class brakes the car if the speed goes over that set on the cruise control. Does it have to be like that?

It seems to me that if I am descending a hill where - assisted by gravity - the speed would increase, the cruise control applies the brakes, thereby wasting energy and wearing out the braking components.

Can I get it changed?

It is the same with the 221 and I don't like it. I don't think there is any way to change it unless one is good in writing new code for the MB engine ECU.

I simply hit the CC stalk to switch CC off when I approach a downhill road where I know CC would use brakes and I don't want it to do so.

This is a manufacturer's response to the fascination with speed limit enforcement that we have in the UK and other European countries. If you set cruise to operate at the posted limit and it coasts above that limit on a downhill stretch you will exceed the posted limit unless the brakes are applied. That's why downhill stretches provide rich pickings for speed limit enforcement :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom