Cruise ship E320 cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

350cls

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
E55k AMG Sold / S211 E320 CDI I6 W212 E63 6.2 N/A saloon.
Had the E320 CDI S211 on its first long haul 140 mile round trip yesterday. Mixture of M25 A40/M40 A12 a few B roads. Got a average mpg of 37.8. amazes me the power and comfort this car produces. Sitting at the national speed limit majority of the time, reaching 80/85 for over taking. The car just eats the miles up with ease.

Would it be worth having a 2004 with 211,000 miles a map put on it.

This was it's longest run out since we had the reconditioned gear box, torque converter fitted to the car. The car drives/ drove fantastic. We only really use it for local commuting.

I think if i were to drive that bit less, say 65 mph would my mpg improve more so. I see that the car sits at about 2000rpm at about 68/72 mph.

For an old work horse it pulls and drives so well. I'm delighted we kept hold and had it repaired.

Does the mpg I'm getting seem about right for the year and mileage and the 320 CDI engine. Thanks.

Had the E320 CDI S211 on its first long haul 140 mile round trip yesterday. Mixture of M25 A40/M40 A12 a few B roads. Got a average mpg of 37.8. amazes me the power and comfort this car produces. Sitting at the national speed limit majority of the time, reaching 80/85 for over taking. The car just eats the miles up with ease.

Would it be worth having a 2004 with 211,000 miles a map put on it.

This was it's longest run out since we had the reconditioned gear box, torque converter fitted to the car. The car drives/ drove fantastic. We only really use it for local commuting.

I think if i were to drive that bit less, say 65 mph would my mpg improve more so. I see that the car sits at about 2000rpm at about 68/72 mph.

For an old work horse it pulls and drives so well. I'm delighted we kept hold and had it repaired.

Does the mpg I'm getting seem about right for the year and mileage and the 320 CDI engine. Thanks.
Seems about right. Best I've had out of mine is 43mpg on a long 200 plus journey fully loaded boot etc. Mines a v6 and yes well worth a map if you ask me.

My om613 straight six 5 speed s210 320 cdi gets just below 50mpg on a 65-75mph long distance motorway cruise according to the dash mpg display.

Last edited:
clearly im not having enough fun in my 350 SLK as I regularly get 32 mpg...

I may be telling little porkies with my actual speed lol.

Maybe I should try sitting at 65. It's hard with so much power and comfort at ones disposal ;)

I do like the outside lane lol

How much would I be looking to pay on a basic map. What gains should I get also. Thanks

Need to persuade my Dad now to have the car mapped, I'm not so sure he will be interested or to keen on the idea 😆

There seems to be good increased bhp and torque figures with a stage 1 basic map. The cost would need to be reasonable also. Don't intend on paying out stupid amounts on a car of this age and mileage.

i still miss my e320 cdi,That was a I6 and used to get 50mpg easily Great cars, Mine was mapped i Covered Austria to the hoek 9hrs 27mins ave 65mph, 660 miles and still the fuel light hadn't come on.

i still miss my e320 cdi,That was a I6 and used to get 50mpg easily Great cars, Mine was mapped i Covered Austria to the hoek 9hrs 27mins ave 65mph, 660 miles and still the fuel light hadn't come on.

That is brilliant return for such a long trip. And there is probably nothing better than a lovely cushioned ride in a E320 l6. Was yours already mapped.

They drive fantastically well, I don't get to drive our part owned s211. My parents use it majority of the time. But they are special cars it has to be said.

I mentioned it to my dad yesterday about having it mapped. He said " isn't it fast enough" , lol, I said yeah you are right. If I was to have more use of it I think I would have it mapped. But my dad isn't so keen lol. Parents hey :rolleyes::)

How good are these so called race chips?

They have not a good reputation, they usually just fool engine ecu to see wrong rail pressure /and thus just increasing it --> more fuel when timing of injection remains the same.

Decent mapper is changing actual maps of ecu, so ecu handles all 'in a right way'. Of course there are many parameters which affect and/or prevent injection go over the limits, and its not only one chart which is changed if done properly.

They have not a good reputation, they usually just fool engine ecu to see wrong rail pressure /and thus just increasing it --> more fuel when timing of injection remains the same.

Decent mapper is changing actual maps of ecu, so ecu handles all 'in a right way'. Of course there are many parameters which affect and/or prevent injection go over the limits, and its not only one chart which is changed if done properly.

Appreciate the info thanks 👍

Seems a bit to good value to be true.

Appreciate the info thanks 👍

Seems a bit to good value to be true.

You will get some more power, for sure. And definately 'box' is cheapest way. But mapping is 'right way' to do it, but of course you have to use mapper with good reputation, you can even download maps from internet which someone wannebe-tuner has done. Never would put those in my car.

Had the cruise ship in for MOT on Friday. Passed no trouble. Only advisories were rear tyres low tread near to legal limit. Really is a great all-rounder the S211 E320 CDI.

Had the cruise ship in for MOT on Friday. Passed no trouble. Only advisories were rear tyres low tread near to legal limit. Really is a great all-rounder the S211 E320 CDI.
Absolutely loved mine even though it had all the bloomin faults associated with early 211s

I have had my E320cdi now for 8+ years , just run in at 106k now . Always amazes me I can go from Essex to Anglesey and back without the fuel light coming on (600+miles)
45DFF460-22E7-4315-B3EB-D1043BD3897C.jpeg

Oh dear = both cars I called about now sold - both looked good ones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom