Crying over spilt milk!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
Three weeks ago I got a phone call from my wife when I was away from home. She explained that my son, sat in the back of the GL had spilt 4 pints of semi skimmed milk over the rear passanger seat behind the driver - dont ask me how!

Anyway, she tried to mop up as much as possible but over the last couple of weeks the smell has been unbearable, it 'chucks' inside and it hits you when you open the door!

I had tried bicarbonate of soda, fabreeze and shake and vac on the carpets and industrial strenght air fresheners and still it stank. On sunday the weather was decent so I had to do something more permanent. I moved the drvers seat forward and discovered that the battery is sited under the driver seat in an enclosed tank (should I have known that???). I took the plastic cover off and slid my hand down the side of the battery.... I felt (and smelt) semi skimmed rancid yoghurty stuff!! DISGUSTING.

Anyway to cut a long story short I took the GL to Kwik Fit, not being confident enough to remove it myself. They took out the battery for me (what a palava) and left me to clean out the tank, not a very pleasant task! They reinstalled the battery having cleaned it, everything worked fine and I went on my way. The smell has begun to dissipate thank goodness and hopefully that is sorted, the carpets do not smell. Kwik fit could not charge me, it wasn't on their set tarriff of charges!, so I gave the bloke a tenner.

Hopefully that is the end of it. Moral of the story - don't let your kids loose with milk in the car! :D

I once crushed a whole crate of 1 litre containers in the back of a VW transporter van that had been boarded out with ply ....

The ply absorbed the milk , and stunk for ( literally ) months , we had to take the wood out and reboard it in the end ....

Milks a shocker .... glad to hear you got it sorted ...

P.S. I was telling someone about your Jag purchase the other day and they were amazed , so much car for the money ...

:crazy: my previous car had a centre glove box. i had put a small milk carton in it on its side.... i didnt know it had already been openeded and it slowely all leaked out!! I hardly used the glovebox so didnt open it. The rear airvents air went through the glovebox (aid to cool it) and so it STUNK as the weeks went on. I couldnt figure out what it was... i thought someone had pi$$ed in my air intake!!

luckly, hte glovebox had like a rubber base so it was cleaned up relatively easily!! it had all gone hard and crusty!! :crazy:

Cut an onion up into fairly thick slices and put the slices in a bucket half filled with water and leave this in your car while its standing in the drive/garage.
The onion will absorb the smell.
This also works in a newly painted room.

Cut an onion up into fairly thick slices and put the slices in a bucket half filled with water and leave this in your car while its standing in the drive/garage.

Are you also known as Kim & Aggie? :D

A good tip though!!!

Thank you, I shall try this weekend! There is always the danger of kids kicking said bucket of onion water over as they get in before I can get it out! :crazy: :D Then it is milky onion smells!

Take a dump in the back.
You won't notice it then!

My daughter threw up all over the passenger seat, footwell, carpet and centre console in my then w202.

Couldnt get rid of the smell for days in the end had to strip the passenger side, seat and carpets out and washed i mean proper deep clean they took a week to dry also centre console stripped where the autobox stick is there was vomit on the looms ehhh.

Anyway my daughter wasnt complaining so was happy with the extra leg room when sat in the back!

If only i knew about the onions !!!!

My daughter threw up all over the passenger seat, footwell, carpet and centre console in my then w202.

Couldnt get rid of the smell for days in the end had to strip the passenger side, seat and carpets out and washed i mean proper deep clean they took a week to dry also centre console stripped where the autobox stick is there was vomit on the looms ehhh.

Anyway my daughter wasnt complaining so was happy with the extra leg room when sat in the back!

If only i knew about the onions !!!!

I feel sick...... :crazy:

Cars and milk do not mix it has to be said :crazy:

I have found that using a very outdated and old fashioned solution works for me.

Get your milkman to deliver the milk to your home!

Then you never have to carry it in the car!:D :devil:

Sorry about your spillage and I guess it won't be the engine that hums for a little while.:(

My mum's had milk leak from the bottle when it was places horizontal before...she didn't notice until it stank when she opened the boot.

Muggins here had to clean it...what a horrible experience...!

A friend of mine had an SL55 AMG a while back, the one with the ventilated front seats as as far as I remember. He has 2 large Japanese Akitas, one of whom was then a puppy and it, ahem, unrinated copiously over said front seat.

The car was traded in relatively soon afterwards!

Once spent a couple of days trying to track down an extremely rancid 'fishy' smell. Eventually found it, kids had been out collecting shells on the beach , unfortunately not all of the previous residents had vacated their homes and after a week, in the back of the car (didn't know they were there) the smell was absolutely unbelievable! With saying that it was extremely easy to fix the problem....remove bag

Milk in innocuous compared to the smell you get in your car if you run over a skunk. The smell is permanent too.:eek:

Milk in innocuous compared to the smell you get in your car if you run over a skunk. The smell is permanent too.:eek:

Thank god you can't buy skunks in Asda then!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom